Rotor Testing....

Thread: Rotor Testing....

in ur gf

Rotor Testing....

So after talking to many shops, and being told that there is no way how to test your rotors to see if your rotors are warped. But you know it when you have it. Cause you get that jerking type of braking. But are both of them warped? Who knows, apparently theres no way to tell. Or maybe I was just told by all the shops cause they think I'm a chump.

But I can tell!!! Thanks to my awesome dad, and his collection of tools from heaven. We simply used this indicator, pressed up against the rotor, spun the tire...and voila...a reading of how many thousands of a inch each rotor is off by!

My left front rotor, about 1 thousandths of an inch...still good.
    My right front rotor, about 20 thousands of an inch...very much not good!!!

So, if anyone ever needs to make ABSOLUTELY SURE which rotor is warped, I'm offering to help you do the test any time!

I'm just so extatic, I had to tell someone!

to my Pops!
    Rage. Its my drug of choice.

2. Remove Advertisements

Ya... a digital indicator/dial indicator... or whatever it's called...

Id doesen't matter too much though, if they're warped you'll know once you hit the brakes ahrd at 200km/h and the bike tries to buck you off

Out to pasture in the 'Wack
    04 Kawi Z1000,
    The shop that told you that isn't totally wrong. If your bike has full floating rotors then you can't tell with them on the bike because the rotor is free to wobble around. Semi floating rotors, on the other hand, can be checked using a dial guage as you and yer dad did.

Another way to check them that works for all kinds of rotors is to use a machinists straightedge and some feeler guage stock in various gauges between .001 to .005 inches thick. Put the striaght edge up against the rotor face in a number of positions and look for light showing a warp on that segment and then use the thickness guages to measure the gap at it's deepest point. A few checks around the face and you'll have a pretty good idea of how far out it is.

And yes, 20 thou is a fat lotta runout. 'Nuff to shake yer filling's loose in yer head.......
    A backyard mechanic without a service manual is just like a hooker without a lamp pole.... they are both in the dark.