Fuel Octane

Thread: Fuel Octane

Habitual Excessive Speedr Array Blade's Avatar
    1993 VFR750F

Question Fuel Octane

Okay, now ive been running my bikes on Chevron super-supreme for as long as its been out, its a 94 octane fuel. Recently i had a friend come out from Alberta on his XX he says his bike doesnt run right on Supa-supreme and he runs regular unleaded , 87 octane. I thought about this and checked my manual, the manufacturer recommends 87 octane or higher. So i decided to run a tank full of regular in my blade to see how it would respond.... guess what?

no difference! has anyone had problems related to running a low/high octane fuel and if so what? are we just throwing money away on high octane gas when our bikes dont need it and dont perform any different on it??

02 S3 955i
    93 VFR750F
    98 'blade
    97 TL1000s
    96 'blade
    95 YZF750R
    94 'blade
    93 'blade
    91 FZR600

2. Remove Advertisements

in ur gf
    Just go with the manufactures recommendation. Anything else, is just a waste. (unless of course you've done major modifications)
    Rage. Its my drug of choice.

see the poll on "what fuel do u use". theres some discussion on this topic there.

North Vancouver
    98 Suzuki TLS
    To summarize some of what was said in that other thread about fuel choices, it has been said that your engine will run better with lower octane. The higher the octane, the more resistance to detonation. In other words higher octane fuel won't burn as quickly as lower octane fuel and often will leave a build up of carbon faster. The lowest octane you can use without the engine pinging will result in the quickest burn, not as much carbon buildup and a marginally better running engine.

I use 87 and sometimes 89, but never any higher than that and my bike runs just fine!
    I love my squared off tyres. Torque rules.