Experience and Maturity
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Experience and Maturity

My Twitter: SH1FTG34R Array Sykk_KiLL's Avatar
    Bike
    2008 Yamaha R6

Experience and Maturity

Well, I am glad I made this mistake and at the same time i'm not so glad I did it. I'm glad because I know I don't feel comfortable to move up to a big bike and i'm thinking that if I had a bigger bike (more cc's) I don't think I would of made it out as well as I did yesterday. This thread is mainly about me doing something stupid, and you guys, not doing what I did.

Yesterday on King George HWY the lanes were pretty packed and I couldn't get into the left lane. I was stuck behind this old Pontiac and man, it was doing 50 in the 60 zone. I have been following this lady for about 5 minutes or so and I really started to get fed up. I couldn't pass her on the left, and I didn't want to pass her on the shoulder. Well I made the rookie mistake of passing her on the shoulder. The light started to turn yellow and she was slowing down for the light, I went to the right of her car onto the bicycle lane and swept passed the intersection just barely making it. I looked at the lights. I looked at the intersection. All Clear. What wasn't clear was the pedestrian crossing about 20 feet after the lights, to which, I almost smoked an older women crossing the street with her miniture dog. I swear, I came about 1 foot if not closer to her body as I zoomed by. I pulled over the bike and started to swear at myself, even right now I am calling myself an idiot and i'm questioning my ability as to why I did something so stupid and so dumb.

I know i'm not the only one that's done something stupid like this or something different, but man it sucks, i'm just glad no one got hurt, no one died and I didn't go down.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Registered User Array kamen rider's Avatar
    Bike
    Honda
    I don't think anything else needs to be said. I'm glad to hear no one got hurt.
    .... And the little dog too!

Bike
    2006 GSXR 1000
    Ride down E. Hastings man.. It's like a game of dodge the crackhead.

No one got hurt and you learned from your mistake so its all good.

Ryan
    “Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence”.

Don't Get Shot In The Back!

doug
    engine displacement has nothing to do with it. you could have done the same thing on a 125, just as easily as on a 1300.

it's your mindset, not the bike. lesson learned, file it, move on.

Fast Pack Slow Guy Array Tattoodles's Avatar
    Bike
    A privileged sufferer settling for an Italian motorcycle
    As soon as you do something unpredictable in traffic, such as pass on the shoulder, unpredictable stuff will happen to you.

Glad you learned from your experience.

Ratzilla
    I agree, it's good that you learned something. PS: Don't do it again

Bike
    04 Kawi Z1000,
    Thanks for sharing. I'm sure we've all had a few of these in our day. I know that I have. And like you I just thanked my lucky stars that no harm came from it and took my lesson and moved on smartter and wiser. Hopefully at least a few can learn from your story and think twice when they find themselves getting frustrated.
    A backyard mechanic without a service manual is just like a hooker without a lamp pole.... they are both in the dark.

Bike
    2007 GSX-R750
    As long as you can learn fromy your mistakes...glad to hear no one was hurt.
    "Nitrous is like a hot girl with STD’s… You know you want to hit it, but you’re afraid of the consequences"

2007 Suzuki GSX-R 750
    2014 BMW X5 xDrive 35d M Sport
    2007 Audi A4 S-Line

Bike
    NONE--911 C2
    god your terrible... how could you do something so irresponsible!!!

i for one would never be caught doing what you did... it such a rookie mistake...

oops wrong flaming thread.... no seriously...recognizing your mistakes like you have done is alot better than most... and thats how you learn.

i have seen many people pass on the left, i have done it... it just has to be approached with extreme caution and planning for anything to happen...because it will.

good on ya for owning up to it
    R.I.P. Dan and Cody

Forever in my mind, forever in my thoughts, forever in my heart

Bike
    90 VFR
    Well I'm sure you weren't the only one swearing at you! If there wasn't the potential of going down, clipping the dog wouldn't be so bad.

Seriously though, any mistake you can learn from without repercussions is a good lesson (provided you learn from it!) & Kudos to you for sharing.

contradiction incarnate Array slam's Avatar
    Bike
    TBA
    Quote Originally Posted by doug
    engine displacement has nothing to do with it. you could have done the same thing on a 125, just as easily as on a 1300.

it's your mindset, not the bike. lesson learned, file it, move on.
    doug nailed it.
    nobody gets out alive

I Came,I Saw,I Conquered Array Yammer Jammer's Avatar
    Bike
    2008 Duc 848
    Thank you for sharing. It takes a real man to own up to his mistakes and learn from them so that future occurences don't happen.

Registered User Array Jester666's Avatar
    Bike
    1966 Honda Dream305 1976 Honda CB550
    live and learn...

Flieger sind Sieger! Array
    Bike
    04 Supersquid 750
    "Experience and maturity", two things you can't put a price on.

Bike
    None right now...
    "pedestrian crossing 20' after the lights"

What was the pedestrian doing outside of the crosswalk, anyway? I wouldn't feel so bad, you were probably looking where the crosswalk was (subconsciously, anyway) and saw that it was clear.

Still, nice to hear nobody got hurt. Hitting a pedestrian on a bike is sometimes just as fatal for the biker as for the pedestrian.
    ---
    My Picasa Album