brake resevoir relocation...

Thread: brake resevoir relocation...

brake resevoir relocation...

ok.. so apparently i like to customize everything i own..
    i got on old school cb550- 77 if im correct.. and i have these clubman drag bars.. but the angle on them is kinda steep and brake fluid drips out. the brake res. and lever are on the same unit however. can i swap out that system and replace it with a newer brake lever/res system that allows me to mount the resevoir near my gauges thus letting me put the lever on the angled bar?

and if so, where could i get wrecked bike parts?

thanks again

p.s, im lookin for someone to paint my tank/fairing and quarter panels.. and not spray can. nothin fancy.. it'll be straight black, gloss. and doesnt have to be professional...
    Last edited by oldmotif; 03-29-2006 at 04:14 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Out to pasture in the 'Wack
    04 Kawi Z1000,
    Yep. You can do that but be prepared for a different lever feel that may produce a big problem. You see, the size of the piston in the master cylinder needs to be matched to the overall piston area of all the cylinders in the calipers. This ratio is sort of like a mechanical advantage or leverage ratio and it is that ratio along with the pad material that determines your lever effort required to stop. If the diameters are way out of whack it'll either not stop worth poo or it'll lock up solid at the slightest squeeze and have very poor modulation. This all means that some will work and others not. The ones that will likely work the best are the ones that are intended for the smaller number of total pistons. So look for bikes that use remote reservoirs where there's only the one side caliper or where the two calipers only use two pistons like on the older Hondas.

A dirtbike master would probably be a good bet if any of those use remote reservoirs. They are set up for a two piston caliper.

THe typical sportbike is set up for a larger master cylinder piston to match up to typically 8 to 12 pistons set up between the two calipers. So that ain't going to work well since the master piston will be too big and you won't be able to squeeze it hard enough to stop well with only a limited number of pistons on the CB.

Another option is to go ahead and get whatever master will work and then have someone that can do machine work sleeve it down and make a new piston that matches your current master cylinder.

Or are you altering the rotor and caliper from stock too? If so then approach the whole issue as a unit.
    A backyard mechanic without a service manual is just like a hooker without a lamp pole.... they are both in the dark.