im getting my first bike but not sure what to get.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: im getting my first bike but not sure what to get.

native_pride

im getting my first bike but not sure what to get.

hey
    im getting my first bike soon but been driven dirt bikes and quads my whole life so its nothing to new i want something with good power and speed i was look at gsx750r,gsx600r,zx600r,cbr600,and r6 i dont want anything smaller. what would be the best of them bikes for me like for power and speed.
    Last edited by native_pride; 03-30-2006 at 12:49 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

doug
    what, not looking at a good starter litre bike?

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by native_pride
    im getting my first bike soon i want something with good power and speed
    Yamaha R1

KAwa-lev
    Any 600 has good power and speed. what yearand how much are you willing to spend?

native_pride
    i want something no later then a 2000 and money about 8000.

West Koots, I'm here.... Array flyfishinwoman's Avatar
    Bike
    a few toys
    Taken any lessons for riding on the road? It's a dangerous world out there, and if you want a bike with power/speed, then I would suggest that you learn all you can to stay alive.
    Back in BC, yay!!!
    2010 Yamaha Vstar 950
    250 Saga Dual-sport
    AC quad
    BCSB #712
    WMRC #747 (2005)

Now accepting DONATIONS! Array PilotPete's Avatar
    Bike
    '98 YZF R1
    holy crap, this is the newb forum too! lay off the newb here...he may not have framed his question great, but give 'em the typical answer of "sit on 'em all and whatever feels best, buy it"! 'cause we all know that's what it boils down to!

w/e....flame away
    Sex is like driving a honda: Slow, Obscene, and so loud it wakes your neighbors!

Linguistic Ninja Array
    Bike
    Vroom vroom
    You obviously need a gxr1000 because I mean... 600cc bikes just aren't fast enough!

Bike
    r6
    2000 bike with 8000 to spend on it, you can get just about anything. -ducati

Black on black crime Array Iceman_19's Avatar
    Bike
    2000 Yamaha R1
    Hayabusa.

For the win.
    2000 Yamaha R1 - Back in black!

Bike
    2007 GSX-R750
    All comes down to what you like in terms of fit, riding position, look, etc... Get out there and ride a few bikes, see what you like. As others had instructed me, don't buy a bike based on what you read or hear from others.
    "Nitrous is like a hot girl with STD’s… You know you want to hit it, but you’re afraid of the consequences"

2007 Suzuki GSX-R 750
    2014 BMW X5 xDrive 35d M Sport
    2007 Audi A4 S-Line

Bike
    McKinley 12-Speed
    Do a course if you haven't already done so.

After that, read some books (both ICBCs Road Sense for Riders and Road Sense for Drivers, then read Proficient Motorcycling, Total Control and Ride Hard Ride Smart) At that point, in your head you have amassed as much knowledge as many riders who haven't taken a course/read books take 3 or more seasons to garner. But only in your head. You have to buy the right gear, buy a bike you will be comfortable with and which you can master in a season or three of riding and practice, practice and practice some more. This equates to kilometers, not time.

That said, somewhere in accumulating those lesson-learning kilomteres, you will probably drop your bike. It might be in your driveway, it might be in a parking lot at low speed or it might be down the road (let's hope not), so are you comfortable dropping a mint fully faired bike or a scratched up one or do you prefer to drop a naked bike? Something to think about.

Registered User Array vancityS3's Avatar
    Bike
    06 Triumph Speed Triple, 07 Husky 610SM
    If I were you i'd buy an R6. Awesome bike and looks really good. Just be careful and take some lessons.

Ratzilla
    if it's your first bike, i'd suggest you buy an old beater bike. spend liek 1500 and get a nice little bike you can drop without worrying too much. changes are, you will drop it...
    dropping a new 2000+ 600cc bike on the fairings = 500+ dollars to get it back looking the way it was before (assuming you need to repaint)

Yellow Power Ranger Array Furious Fiero's Avatar
    Bike
    '01 Yellow ZX-6R (sold)
    dude any 600cc sportbike 2000+ plus for around 8000 is good. They are all very comparable...of course, I am biased towards Kawasaki though.