BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

im getting my first bike but not sure what to get.

1K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  Iceman_19 
G
#1 · (Edited)
hey
im getting my first bike soon but been driven dirt bikes and quads my whole life so its nothing to new i want something with good power and speed i was look at gsx750r,gsx600r,zx600r,cbr600,and r6 i dont want anything smaller. what would be the best of them bikes for me like for power and speed.

#7 ·
holy crap, this is the newb forum too! lay off the newb here...he may not have framed his question great, but give 'em the typical answer of "sit on 'em all and whatever feels best, buy it"! 'cause we all know that's what it boils down to!

w/e....flame away

#11 ·
All comes down to what you like in terms of fit, riding position, look, etc... Get out there and ride a few bikes, see what you like. As others had instructed me, don't buy a bike based on what you read or hear from others.

#12 ·
Do a course if you haven't already done so.

After that, read some books (both ICBCs Road Sense for Riders and Road Sense for Drivers, then read Proficient Motorcycling, Total Control and Ride Hard Ride Smart) At that point, in your head you have amassed as much knowledge as many riders who haven't taken a course/read books take 3 or more seasons to garner. But only in your head. You have to buy the right gear, buy a bike you will be comfortable with and which you can master in a season or three of riding and practice, practice and practice some more. This equates to kilometers, not time.

That said, somewhere in accumulating those lesson-learning kilomteres, you will probably drop your bike. It might be in your driveway, it might be in a parking lot at low speed or it might be down the road (let's hope not), so are you comfortable dropping a mint fully faired bike or a scratched up one or do you prefer to drop a naked bike? Something to think about.

G
#14 ·
if it's your first bike, i'd suggest you buy an old beater bike. spend liek 1500 and get a nice little bike you can drop without worrying too much. changes are, you will drop it...
dropping a new 2000+ 600cc bike on the fairings = 500+ dollars to get it back looking the way it was before (assuming you need to repaint)

#16 ·
I think you'd be happy with any one of those bikes... as Stewy said, get out there and try them on for fit... everyone likes a different riding position. I'd say of all of the bikes that you listed the CBR 600 would be your most comfortable bike to ride & a great starter as well. You'd have plenty of power.

Stay away from the litre bikes ... and take a course. You say you've got experience with dirt bikes & ATV's - you're half way there. Keep yourself safe & take a street riding course so you can manage the traffic.

Welcome!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.