Bleeding brakes, for Cosworth

Thread: Bleeding brakes, for Cosworth

Bike
    A couple of Suzukis

Talking Bleeding brakes, for Cosworth

Originally posted by cosworth
    If people would stop just sitting there and watching things go south we could get this crap out of the way. Post a good actile on riding skills. Post a question asking about a subject you may want to learn more about. Bleeding brakes or something.
    Cosworth wants to know how to bleed his brakes. Can someone help him?

pump-pump-bleed
    pump-pump-bleed
    pump-pump-bleed...that's all there is to it.

Have some tubing handy and slip it over your bleed-valve so that you don't squirt brake-fluid all over your wheels...that stuff can do some damage. If at all possible, submerge the end of the tube into some brake fluid, incase you accidentally let the lever go, you don't want to be sucking more air back up into the system.
    Maybe Mediocre
    BCSB - I hate you

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

:) you'll live longer Array rockshoxbiker's Avatar
    Bike
    Yamaha
    you can get clear vinyl tubing at Home depot, for about 30 cents a foot. I think i used the 3/8" tubing when i did mine.

Bike
    A couple of Suzukis
    Originally posted by rockshoxbiker
    you can get clear vinyl tubing at Home depot, for about 30 cents a foot. I think i used the 3/8" tubing when i did mine.
    Also available at Revy, as well as other fine home improvement establishments. I got some too...it sure beats the hell out of using drinking straws. Ummm....not that I ever used drinking straws to bleed my brakes.
    Maybe Mediocre
    BCSB - I hate you

builder of bikes Array cosworth's Avatar
    Bike
    bah
    Hey! I know how to bleed brakes.

I was just trying to lighten things up around here. Actually talking about sportbikes for once!

I did the brakes on my 1000 right away and got my special fluid in there .

Bike
    A couple of Suzukis
    Your Special Fluid, eh? How does the 1K stop with Cos-juice in it?

PS - I know that you knew how to bleed brakes, I was just bustin your balls...and creating more sportbike chat.
    Maybe Mediocre
    BCSB - I hate you

Bike
    bah
    I love my G1K brakes. Not sure what the fuss is about them in the mags. I put the Ford Dot 3 550 farenheit fluid in there and they are yummy...

:) you'll live longer Array rockshoxbiker's Avatar
    Bike
    Yamaha
    don't bikes ask for DOT 4 fluids? I think that's what i bought last time at CDN tire for aa few bucks, opposed to 10 bucks at a MC shop

Bike
    bah
    Yeah we hashed this out in chat yesterday. Bike manufacturers want a high temp fluid in there. Dot 4 is usually a higher temp fluid. But this Ford spec Dot 3 stuff has the highest poiling point I've seen. It may absorb water at DOT 3 rates but has DOT 5.1 boiling points. I'm still researching why it has not been given a Dot 4 rating. Either way it improved my car's braking and my bikes braking over the stock Dot 4 stuff. It holds the clear colour a lot longer.

Bike
    04 Kawi Z1000,
    Hey Cos, that stuff sounds interesting. Where'd you see the bit about the boiling point?

Like you and the others I find that interesting that if that boiling point bit is true then why isn't it rated higher.

If it's got the boiling point but fell down on the water absorbption then this may be the hot stuff to use (pun intended ) and just change it more often.

Remember kiddies, if it absorbs the water faster it won't retain it's original higher boiling point for very long. Frequent flushings would be the order of the day to retain the advantage of it in the first place. Once a season should do it.
    A backyard mechanic without a service manual is just like a hooker without a lamp pole.... they are both in the dark.

Bike
    bah
    Exactly Bruce. I change this stuff more often but it has great feel to it. I get mine at Canadian Tire oddly enough. It says "Ford" brake fluid on it and has this crazy boiling temp. I use it in all my vehicles.

Here are some links for others to peruse:

FAQ> http://www.tirekingdom.com/purch/brkfluid.html

Ford Fluid> http://www.shotimes.com/SHO3brakefluid.html

"Ford Heavy Duty DOT 3 is VERY inexpensive and is popular among racers because of its excellent dry boiling point. It absorbs moisture quickly, but the racers don't care since they change their fluid frequently. Comes in metal cans so it may be stored. I would not use this in my Impala for the street. "

Seems my theory about the hygroscopic properties was right. It might absorb water quicker than normal.

Bike
    04 Kawi Z1000,
    Excellent. Thanks Cos.

Oh, and could you take that snarl off your face please? It's scaring the children..........
    A backyard mechanic without a service manual is just like a hooker without a lamp pole.... they are both in the dark.

Emtarkanderundrsgunderson Array Boone's Avatar
    Bike
    '01 CBR929RR
    I actually happen to have a few cans of this stuff kicking around. How long is a closed container of the stuff good for? This stuff is probably about a year old but never opened, wonder if I could use it yet...
    Do kindly reply back if you are interested and as you do you will be glad you do, you can reach us through our email address David Boone

Bike
    bah
    I would only trust a metal can over one year. It's so cheap as it is.

Just Another Enthusiast Array vrecksler's Avatar
    Bike
    Naked SV
    BMatthews, when you say flush once a year I am guessing you have a certain number of kms in mind or is it more of a time thing?

I flushed my brakes once a month (or so) on my 929, I have no idea if the SS lines were contaminated or what but that is about all it would last before turning from a clear white to a light pale ale.

B-r-a-d-l-e-y...Why? Because I'm Bradley!

Email

Bike
    bah
    I'm more inclined to replace brake fluid on a time basis. Once before the season and once at the end (if you believe in seasons). If it doesn't look like light beer swap it out though.