Custom Fitting a Helmet

Thread: Custom Fitting a Helmet

the PAGO-trike

Custom Fitting a Helmet

While I was shopping for a helmet at Modern Motorcycle the other day, I overheard an older gentleman (the store owner, perhaps?) telling a customer that Modern can do custom helmet fitting, and have been doing so for the longest time. They can either make the inside of a bigger helmet smaller by adding additional foam pieces on the inside of the helmet, or they can make a smaller helmet bigger by using a rubber mallet / hammer to pound on the inside of the shock absorbing foam. The older gentleman insists that both practices are safe, and that they have been doing this for the longest time.

From several helmet-testing articles that I have read before, it seems that in most crashes, shock absorbing foam rarely ever gets totally compressed, meaning that they still have extra capacity to absorb additional energy. But I can't shake off the feeling that tampering with a helmet is not the safest practice around.

What opinions do you guys have on this issue?

2. Remove Advertisements

contradiction incarnate Array slam's Avatar
    thinning it out in areas by partially compressing it just cannot be a good thing.

adding pieces in areas, on the other hand, can't be a bad thing.
    nobody gets out alive

if someone offered to pound the inside of my helmet out to make it fit better i'd take my business elsewhere.

compress the inner shell, lose the ability to absorb impacts. there is a reason why it is recommended you replace the helmet after an accident where it has impact. with this mallet technique, the impact is pre-existing.

go to modern only if you desperately need parts, have the part's stock number and exact change in hand.

Registered User Array scubaphil's Avatar
    99 R6
    do a search on the particular shop and u'll see if you want to believe everythign they say.
    If jack helped you off a horse would you help jack off a horse??

You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

Considering it's Modern, this is probably what they use.

East Van
    2015 Ninja 300 ABS
    I've heard of "spooning"" a helmet, compressing pressure points using a spoon. Bad idea in my opinion, like cutting half way through your seatbelt because it rubs your neck.

Maple Ridge
    2007 GSX-R750
    Definately not a safe practice. Compressing the foam to 'custom fit' a helmet is basically taking away from the helmet's ability to absorb an impact. If the foam is already partially compressed, and impact is going to be felt that much more by the rider.
    "Nitrous is like a hot girl with STD’s… You know you want to hit it, but you’re afraid of the consequences"

2007 Suzuki GSX-R 750
    2014 BMW X5 xDrive 35d M Sport
    2007 Audi A4 S-Line

Why would you compress the inside of a helmet, why not just go a size up and add the foam on the inside? Hitting the inside of a helmet is an idiotic practice and it seems to me that when push comes to shove and someone gets nailed and maimed theres going to be a lawsuit in the making...

Langley, BC
    None right now...
    Quote Originally Posted by Traum
    ...telling a customer that Modern can do custom helmet fitting, and have been doing so for the longest time.
    That might be contributing to why Modern's reputation around here has been pretty bad "for the longest time".
    My Picasa Album