Idling Troubles need help.

Thread: Idling Troubles need help.

Rhubarbed.....RIP GPZ

Question Idling Troubles need help.

Idling troubles???

Well trying to get my bike into a smoother running condition. It has been idling horribly; the bike in question is a ’83 Kawi GPZ 550. The bike has been in storage for a little while, I don’t know how long by the previous owner.

I’ve drained the old gas out already and put in some fresh stuff this helped a little. There is a series of questions I have so please be patient. I know it may need a carbs tune-up but I’m just wondering if it could be something else as well.

First thing – At Start-up I pull the choke all the way out (it has 2 stages), starts up but needs a little bit of throttle to help keep the revs up while it warms up, giving it about 5 or 10 seconds of throttle before the revs would stay up by itself. Here is the funning thing the bike is on its side stand at this point, when I bring the bike in the up right position the revs drop and it starts to stall.

Second thing – The bike warms up for approx. 5 minutes or so I push the choke back in, and it idles very low below or around 500 RPMs. It begins to stall so I have to give it throttle to keep the engine running.

Third thing – While riding the bike it sometimes stalls when I pull the clutch in to shift into 1st gear. Also while riding it when I roll of the throttle and pull the clutch in it stalls. I need to apply throttle to it constantly to keep it running.

So I’m wondering is it a timing issue (if there is such a thing with bikes) or is it a host of other issues? I'd like to get it idling properly so I could ride it in for a further tune-up.

Thanks if advance for the help.

*edit just a little bit more back ground the engine has new piston rings and individual pod air filter (which will be replaced).
    Last edited by mli35; 05-03-2006 at 09:22 AM.
    A bad day of riding is, still better than a good day of work.

2. Remove Advertisements

Street:SV1000S Race:Ninja 250R, CBR600 F3, DRZ125
    have you tried turning the idle up? it might help alittle, but it sounds like you have bigger problems than just that, have you changed the plugs yet? , otherwise i could guess a vacumn leak, or perhaps as you said a carb tune may be needed..definately couldn't hurt
    Last edited by Jaybo; 05-03-2006 at 11:38 AM.
    Some people are like Slinkies ...
    Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TwinBrosRacing <-click
    WMRC & PCMRC #19
    WMRC President

Port Coquitlam
    plugged jets... clean the carbs...