Motorcycling = Working Out ??
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Motorcycling = Working Out ??

I'm a she-male. Array integra298's Avatar
    Scooty Puff Junior.

Question Motorcycling = Working Out ??

So my girlfriend says to me:
    "If you ride your bike all season, you won't have to go to the gym. Riding is like working out because you get sore after. Your back hurts, right?"

My counter argument:
    "I'm sore because of a) seat positioning and b) i'm too tense. That soreness has nothing to do with the soreness you get from going to the gym"

As a normal person who goes to the gym and does normal sports, I think I am right. But as a new rider, does her statement actually make any kind of sense at all? She has been riding for 3 years. Me ... 3 days. Hahaha. The only way I could see her statement as being true is if I were to be zooming down curvy roads and needing to lean lots ... maybe that would make use of some muscles.

So what is truth? Anyone? (=

Hello? Anyone still out there? d:

2. Remove Advertisements

Registered User Array SpideRider's Avatar
    Fraser Valley
    It depends how fast and skilled you are. If you hit the track hard all year long, the energy expenditure will likely equate to a regular workout.
    As for regular riding, I disagree. Riding a motorcycle is not a substitute for exercise. You need to have an elevated heart rate for a sufficient time to gain any benefits. And unless you fuck up constantly, non-stop, your heart rate shouldn't be racing that fast.
    Cry in the dojo, laugh on the battlefield
    Sparring speed is a matter of simple physics:
    The height of your flight is inversely proportionate to the mass of your ass.

Registered User Array
    2003 suzuki gsx-r750
    Hmm...i can see some truth in that.

I remeber the very first day i got my bike, i rode around for half a day - after i came home i had the best sleep! However, their are other factors to being tired. Exposure to heat and wind noise too...

Its hard to say, but it would be nice if i could skip a workout just by riding around all day lol.

Registered User Array mikeelliot's Avatar
    Fraser Valley
    Take your bike on the track! Thats a workout!!

Street riding is not even close.

Right here
    '04 CBR F4i
    Hmmm.... My guess would be it's about the same as downhill skiing. Newbies get more soreness because they're tense and holding somewhat uncomfortable positions. The more skilled skier is more relaxed, in a more comfortable riding position, and uses fewer muscles.

I figure.. the most exercise I get from riding my bike is trying to open and close my broken garage door, pushing my bike out, and then parking it again at night. If you drop your bike frequently and have to pick it up, that's an extra bonus work out too So, next time or if ever you drop yer bike, don't be embarrassed... just tell folks you're working out
    Bikes don't leak oil, they mark their territory. ~Author Unknown

Black and red is the new blue!!

Registered User Array scubaphil's Avatar
    99 R6
    track yes.... riding on the road.. not even close...
    If jack helped you off a horse would you help jack off a horse??

You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

Workout equivelancy chart:

1 upshift or downshift: 0.5 calf raises
    Looking through a turn: 1 neck stretch (add one for every 120 degrees)
    Jamming on the brakes for a cager: 3 wrist curls
    Bouncing up a wheelie: 2 seated rows

Knowing you dont have to work out cause you own a bike: Priceless

rain? whats that! Array REVELATIONS's Avatar
    SV 1000s
    Sort of off-topic but there are many threads where riders have noticed a signifigant improvement in their abiltities from season to season because they hit the gym during the winters. If youre already doing so, youre ahead of the game.

Happy Camper Array BlackScorpion's Avatar
    Purgasurrey Sportbike: GSX-R750, 2001 F4i, 2002 RM-9, 2003 Derbi SuperMoto Xtreme Posts:1,000,016!!
    GSX-R750, 2001 F4i, 2002 RM-9 Posts:1,000,012!!
    There's many factors that can affect the answer here.
    The bike:
    A cruiser/tourer is going to keep your upper body more upright, so it makes for an 'easier' ride. Your weight is mostly on your ass, and your head is aligned upright with the rest of your body. The legs can vary from slightly bent to all the way straight out in front of you in some extreme cruisers. Not as much effort to ride, kinda like sitting. Not much workout here

A sportsbike will keep you in the 'leaned forward' position. This does a several things: moves a lot of your weight to your hands/arms so you are keeping your arms under load even just cruising; Moves your helmet forward ahead of your body line, which means you have to keep your back of the neck muscles flexed somewhat to keep that helmet up; Your feet are higher up, with a more closed bend to your knees. Each time you go to move your feet around from keeping the balls of your feet on the pegs to your heels on the pegs to shift or brake, it's more effort as your knees are quite high up as it is.

Just maintaining that bent forward position will tire out your arms, so you usually wind up (or should be doing anyways) tightening your abs to support you better.

The Type of Riding:
    Straight highway riding, not much of a workout.
    Twisties, definitely more work, as you are constantly lifting your butt off your seat to re-position from side to side.
    Track, is same as above but doing it with more definitely feel it.
    Motocross riding...probably the best workout you'll ever get. In fact, a little known study a while back showed that the most fit athletes in the world are actually motocross riders, as they are forced to constantly wrestle with their machines for extended periods of time.

So yeah, I think riding is a workout...if you want.
    Team Troll
    "Happy New Ear!" - Mike Tyson.

White Rock
    Ninja 1000
    After a full day of riding (i.e. Sunday School rides) I am exhausted and sore. In some ways it is a workout. However, my 4k runs in the morning are more of a workout. What's tough though, is if I am on the bike for more than 4 hours I cannot run in the morning because my legs are too fatigued.

It is still much more of a workout than a car!!!

Maple Ridge
    2013 Ninja 1000
    Riding season is a diet in itself, never have time to eat or stop
    We who choose to surround ourselves with lives even more temporary than our own, live within a fragile circle, easily and often breached. Unable to accept its awful gaps, we still would live no other way.

well, ask your girlfriend to try standing on concrete for 8hrs a day and see if she's sore. Does that constitute a workout? Or you could put her in large dog carrier for a couple hours and see where it hurts.

Yes riding a bike for long periods of time requires stamina, muscle endurance / control but riding well is more of a SKILL than a workout - the best (road / sportbike) riders in the world do not wrestle their bikes around a track, unless I'm mistaken but they just "do it with ease." Of course you do anything for extended periods of time with an elevated heart rate under controlled muscular contraction and you'll burn calories. Overdevelop some muscles, overstretch and weaken others but hey, if you look hot on a bike and have a gut, who cares!!

Soreness is NOT a qualifier of a good workout.
    Like Blackscorption said, motorcross is a different story.
    Sex is a better workout. ok well maybe not for some. Nevermind.

keepin' it steel Array GuySmiley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick_cat
    ...the best (road / sportbike) riders in the world do not wrestle their bikes around a track, unless I'm mistaken but they just "do it with ease."
    Maybe that's why they're drenched with sweat and breathing heavily when they get interviewed after a race. They're working really hard out there. You use a lot of arms, legs and core strength when you're on the track. The fast guys have to be fit to do what they do.
    Mr. Burns: "Remember Homer, there is no muscle stronger than the human heart."
    Homer: "What about the weiner? I saw some guy on TV lift a can of paint with his."

don't get me wrong, athletes are athletes but your typical average joe on a motorcycle on the street saying that riding in an of itself is a workout?
    hmm, maybe all atheletes aren't athletes (curlers) but you get the point.

well, this could get ugly but in general i'd answer no to that initial question but if you're seriously riding for hours and hours on end day after day after day and really pushing yourself, i would say you're getting an unbalanced workout. but nevertheless you are making your body work hard for it.

So would you say the athletes on the professional racing track DON'T workout at the gym because they're just fit as a result of their sport? Or do they supplement their riding with endurance and strength training?

That's like people laughing when they lift weights for golf. Walking 18 holes isn't easy, but TIger Woods lifts weights. Look at his game. Now all golfers want conditioning for their sport.

ok ok fine i'm soapboxing. sorry . you all win. riding is a workout.

builder of bikes Array cosworth's Avatar
    The Island
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeelliot
    Take your bike on the track! Thats a workout!!

Street riding is not even close.

Come on a ride with us.