BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

bike has problems starting after it gets hot

732 views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Mr.Sushi ya ha 
#1 ·
ive noticed this a few times now that after i go on a long ride and then take a pit stop, say to get gas, when i try to start her back up it doesnt want to start..today it actually backfired which was a first.. any ideas what it could be? btw its a 1990 250 ninja

#4 ·
The bf's bike (03 600rr) has had the same problem for a year now. We've been told different things over and over.

1) The battery - replaced twice, it's not the battery.
2) Charging System - told by RMS, which is what the bike was brought in for, a charging system check, so that didn't help.
3) Regulator/Rectifier - checked by Bill at 5th gear - voltage is normal.
4) Charging System draw - automotive licensed technician & electrician checked it out, the system is charging normally, hot and cold
5) Rectifier Heat Shield - ??? not sold as an individual part in Canada even if that is the problem.
6) Stator - A fresh seafood / rib BBQ dinner is pending to a certain DJ who has offered a guarantee that that is the problem.
7) An ECU issue was also thrown into the list as a possible diagnosis.

Where to start?!?!?!?! DJ P**l, still want that dinner????

#5 ·
Hard starting heat related issues are perhaps more often associated with air / fuel delivery problems than electrical problems.

A few simple things to do / check

Replace the plugs
Replace the air filter
Replace the plug wires and caps
EFI wax unit / starter valves or equivalent starter circuit

#10 ·
Johnny_B said:
it just keeps ticking when i push the starter button...anyways im taking it in to get serviced today so hopefully itll be fixed
Dead battery....

The ticking you hear is the starter solenoid trying to make contact for the motor.

Or the solenoid cutting in and the current goes to the starter but the load is so high that the voltage drops enough to make the starter solenoid drop out. So it ends up sounding like a cricket.

If it's starting when cold OK but not when hot that just means that it's on the edge. I'll bet the cold cranking sound is very, very laboured.

The only other possibility if the battery is fairly new is that all your starter cables ends are oxidized and so they are making a lousy contact. This includes the crimped ends as well as the tabs themselves.

My old Ducati was a lazy starter so I cut the cables to just long enough and cleaned and soldered the crimp ons. After that she spun up like a Cuisinart....:D

#11 ·
See..... with a little info we can help with your problem.....make sure the mechanic knows so he doesn't go looking other places and in the end costing you more money

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.