New bike!

Thread: New bike!

What? I can't hear you... Array Speed3's Avatar
    Have: '70 Yamaha CT175 + '73 DT360 + '75 Suzuki GT250L + '82 Suzuki PE175 Want: 2006 Triumph Daytona 675

New bike!

With the Yamaha completed, I've been looking around for another bizarre project to keep me busy. I stumbled across this 1974 Suzuki GT250L for free (so long as you hauled it away), and couldn't resist the tank shape; it's great. It's actually in remarkable condition, as all the parts are there, just in rough shape. It's got a nifty "Ram Air Induction" system too, in the form of a hood on the head that directs air at the head for presumably better cooling. In reality, it probably doesn't but it does do a great job of filling the gap and making the motor look bigger. Either way, between the tank shape, the low slung dual pipes (which may either be rechromed or painted black) and the looks-bigger-than-it-is motor, I think there's a lot of opportunity to do some custom work here and make it something interesting... read: cafe. I figure I should be able to basically make up two seats, one of which will be the stock ironing board, the other will be a thin leather seat with a fiberglass tail fairing to replicate the cafe racer style. That way you can go from cafe to stock in an afternoon (given I can find some way of mounting low bars on it). So far I'm playing with a few paint schemes, but I'd like to do something that either plays on the modern gixxer paint colours albeit adapted to the '74 paint scheme, or a really old school aqua colour. If you've got any ideas let me know, I'm always looking for new ones!

4700 miles is somewhat impressive too, given it's age. Give me a few months and a few hundred bucks and I'll have her looking and running great (and also maybe for sale )!
    Last edited by Speed3; 05-08-2006 at 10:43 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

contradiction incarnate Array slam's Avatar
    I love when cool old machinery is brought back... given a new lease on life, so to speak.
    nobody gets out alive

CBR600 & CR250R
    it looks like you've got your work cut out for you, good luck

Maple Ridge
    2007 GSX-R750
    Good luck on the new project.
    "Nitrous is like a hot girl with STD’s… You know you want to hit it, but you’re afraid of the consequences"

2007 Suzuki GSX-R 750
    2014 BMW X5 xDrive 35d M Sport
    2007 Audi A4 S-Line