Sag settings...

Thread: Sag settings...

Sag settings...

So I had my bike serviced today and figured while in there we could set the sag up. So we let out all the rebound measure the full exposed fork then I jump on her bounce her a little then measure with me on her first was 135mm second was 100mm so thats right at my 25-35mm sag. We pretty much just left it there, well after putting the rebound back...

Now we go to the rear and do the same exact thing and measure it out comes to 30mm sag. Cool thats in my 25-35mm range as well...

It seems both front and rear were in the zones so I left them alone. My question is should they be set exactly the same or as long as they are in the zone I am good to go?

Thanks (hope that all made sense lol)

2. Remove Advertisements

Well a buddy just gave me 33-35mm for front and 28-30mm for rear. Either way i am still in the clear...Just wondered if they needed to be the same or just in the zones...

With the title of this thread underlined, it looks like "Saq settings...".

I usually keep mine on the left.

Well its under bike tech and mods so there is your first clue lol...

Out to pasture in the 'Wack
    04 Kawi Z1000,
    I prefer to keep them the same just so the front steering stays at the right angles. That's not to say that some difference isn't a good thing if it's applied for the right reasons but I suspect you'll only be doing that level of fine tuning on a race track while trying to close in on the leaders.

For the bumpy roads of the real world I'd suggest you soften up the sag a hair to 33 to 35 mm. This'll soften things a little so it'll deal with the ridges, ripples and other nonsense you'll find out on the backroads of the interior. Similarly the damping should be set so that it is as little as you can get away with that doesn't let the bike wallow after a hit. You want to hit a bump, feel it in a soft muted way up through your arms and butt and still have the bike settle back to normal within a bike length or two.

THis is a little softer than you would use for track riding but it'll let the wheels move over stuff and recover and reduce the skittering you'd get running over bumps in a turn. If you toss it into a turn and it seems nervous and wants to move around a lot then you don't have enough rebound damping. If it's upset by bumps to a noticable degree you probably have too much compression damping.

And there's a lot more in the Suspension 101 thread stickied at the top of the listing of this forum area.
    A backyard mechanic without a service manual is just like a hooker without a lamp pole.... they are both in the dark.