Anyone ever have this happen?

Thread: Anyone ever have this happen?

Antares

Anyone ever have this happen?

My bike had a dead battery, I couldn't find the charger and didn't feel like buying a new one, so I tried bump-starting it on my driveway. The engine turned over a bit but it didn't start. So I tried bumping it on the hill at the end of my street. That didn't work either. I knocked on my neighbour's door to use the phone, and he dumped the bike over on its side. I got my boyfriend and his friend to help me push it back up the hill, and in our collective effort, we dropped it yet again, this time hard enough to crack a mirror.

I hadn't done enough to the poor bike yet, so after a friend suggested that the bike might start more easily with the petcock in prime position, I went and fiddled with it. It didn't start, and I stupidly left it in prime, for five days. The next time we looked at the bike, it was wallowing in a puddle of gasoline. I felt like smacking myself. We put it off prime and waited before eventually bump-starting it again. This time we actually got it to run - but only for a few seconds at a time. Every time it started, it began pissing gasoline from god knows where for a few minutes, or until put into neutral, then it would stop leaking. It didn't really drip on its own, and if the bump-start failed, the leaking wouldn't start.

So in summary, start = pissing gasoline, no start = no leak. Start + put back in neutral = stops leaking. There's something in the gas too... it's really dark, like there's dirty oil mixed into it. We can't see exactly where it's dripping from. Those few moments where it ran, it sounded perfect. Nothing other than the mirror was broken or bent from the drops. It only leaks while running, and while in gear.

The bike is an '89 FJ600. Any thoughts?

p.s. - When I say PISSING, I mean in five or six bump-starts, the tank was nearly emptied. It was a lot of gas.
    Last edited by Antares; 05-11-2006 at 06:07 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    2007 GSXR750
    Quote Originally Posted by Antares
    My bike had a dead battery, I couldn't find the charger and didn't feel like buying a new one, so I tried bump-starting it on my driveway. The engine turned over a bit but it didn't start. So I tried bumping it on the hill at the end of my street. That didn't work either. I knocked on my neighbour's door to use the phone, and he dumped the bike over on its side. I got my boyfriend and his friend to help me push it back up the hill, and in our collective effort, we dropped it yet again, this time hard enough to crack a mirror.

I hadn't done enough to the poor bike yet, so after a friend suggested that the bike might start more easily with the petcock in prime position, I went and fiddled with it. It didn't start, and I stupidly left it in prime, for five days. The next time we looked at the bike, it was wallowing in a puddle of gasoline. I felt like smacking myself. We put it off prime and waited before eventually bump-starting it again. This time we actually got it to run - but only for a few seconds at a time. Every time it started, it began pissing gasoline from god knows where for a few minutes, or until put into neutral, then it would stop leaking. It didn't really drip on its own, and if the bump-start failed, the leaking wouldn't start.

So in summary, start = pissing gasoline, no start = no leak. Start + put back in neutral = stops leaking. There's something in the gas too... it's really dark, like there's dirty oil mixed into it. We can't see exactly where it's dripping from. Those few moments where it ran, it sounded perfect. Nothing other than the mirror was broken or bent from the drops. It only leaks while running, and while in gear.

The bike is an '89 FJ600. Any thoughts?

p.s. - When I say PISSING, I mean in five or six bump-starts, the tank was nearly emptied. It was a lot of gas.

is the crank case full of oil?

Three hour tour guide Array silverD's Avatar
    Bike
    '08 Varadero
    Check your oil level, you may have filled the crankcase with gas...

start=pissing, no start=no leak, sounds like a vacuum operated petcock. (neutral=stop leaking)=beats me...
    I'm not addicted! and I'm not quitting!!
    Heeere's your sign...

...and "always" look on the bright side of life...

Becoming Insane Array CorvetteBoy's Avatar
    Bike
    Nagasaki XXRR
    Quote Originally Posted by Antares
    Any thoughts?
    Us or you?

Ridin hard n dirty Array Mr.Sushi ya ha's Avatar
    Bike
    bunch "o" bikes
    insure it for fire and theft then continue to let it leak then accidently let it catch fire....collect the insurance money and go get a new bike.....

or sounds like you have a sticking float in one of your carbs...because you left it on prime check the oil level and if it is higher than normal do a oil change then pull the carbs and remove the float bowls and make sure it is perfectly clean in each one and check the float hights....then put it all back together and try to start it....and finally quit dropping the bike or it will stay mad at you and continue to refuse to run
    Remembering Bill Mclean.
    Having had a colonoscopy......I have now seen where the sun don't shine......(Me)
    Cancer Sucks!!!

treefinder
    By chance has this bike been sitting in this fuel for the winter?
    Also did it previously have fuel stabilzer added?
    It could be a number of things...
    Carbs gucked
    Bad fuel if that is the case your carbs will be gucked and so will your lines fuel filter and so on....
    What year is it? DOes it need to be started in 'N'

I have heard that boosting your bike off a car is really bad? I heard..... Not 1000% sure but i have seen others do it..
    A dead battery if its really dead the battery will not hold a charge and it will give symptoms of many other things as well.. Get a voltmeter and check it..

Happy Camper Array BlackScorpion's Avatar
    Purgasurrey Sportbike: GSX-R750, 2001 F4i, 2002 RM-9, 2003 Derbi SuperMoto Xtreme Posts:1,000,016!!
    Bike
    GSX-R750, 2001 F4i, 2002 RM-9 Posts:1,000,012!!
    Charge the battery properly and start from the beginning. You could even buy a cheap 1amp trickle charger from Crappy Tire and let it sit for a couple of days....
    Team Troll
    "Happy New Ear!" - Mike Tyson.

Bike
    The Mighty One
    . Just be careful when you try to start a bike that's leaking gas everywhere........

Bitey things are niceless Array Ready2Ride's Avatar
    Bike
    '02 CBR600 F4i - SOLD
    I sold my 84 fj600 back to Phil at holeshot in Langley after I blew a piston out of it. If all else fails, give him a call he might sell you parts, or he might buy yours for parts. That's my thought.
    "The scissors say they won't hurt you, but they're lying"

Bike
    04 Kawi Z1000,
    GEEZUZ! You got a heap o' troubles.

First off get a charger. If you plan on owning any bike for some years to come you need it to charge your battery and keep it topped up over the winters.

Get that CT one amp charger and a lamp timer. OVer the winter take the battery out of the bike and set it up somewhere with the charger plugged into the timer and the battery connected to the charger. Set it so that the charger comes on for about 1/2 to one hour per day. Then it'll be ready to go in the spring. This sort of is like using a battery tender but this way you have a decent charger for when you need it.

Second, your carbs are screwed. The float needles are leaking. Even on prime they should not have pissed gas out like this. Good carbs will sit politely dry with the tank set to prime for months at a time. Your's need a cleaning and rebuild before you ride at all.

The reason it didn't bump start the first time is that the gas in the carbs had dried up over the winter. When you put them on prime it shoudl have let fresh gas into the carbs and it would have started. But apparently they are gummed up from too much past neglect and so they are not stopping at the right level but instead are letting the gas level rise to the point that the engine is geting a mixture that is slobbery rich. That's why it not running well

Shop time for your bike I'm afraid. If you have the room and time then take the carbs out and just take the assembly in. You'll save some money that way. And go invest in that CT charger or find your lost one. Sounds like you'll need it.
    A backyard mechanic without a service manual is just like a hooker without a lamp pole.... they are both in the dark.

Bike
    2005 CBR 600RR
    Quote Originally Posted by TeeTee
    GEEZUZ! You got a heap o' troubles.

First off get a charger. If you plan on owning any bike for some years to come you need it to charge your battery and keep it topped up over the winters.

Get that CT one amp charger and a lamp timer. OVer the winter take the battery out of the bike and set it up somewhere with the charger plugged into the timer and the battery connected to the charger. Set it so that the charger comes on for about 1/2 to one hour per day. Then it'll be ready to go in the spring. This sort of is like using a battery tender but this way you have a decent charger for when you need it.

Second, your carbs are screwed. The float needles are leaking. Even on prime they should not have pissed gas out like this. Good carbs will sit politely dry with the tank set to prime for months at a time. Your's need a cleaning and rebuild before you ride at all.

The reason it didn't bump start the first time is that the gas in the carbs had dried up over the winter. When you put them on prime it shoudl have let fresh gas into the carbs and it would have started. But apparently they are gummed up from too much past neglect and so they are not stopping at the right level but instead are letting the gas level rise to the point that the engine is geting a mixture that is slobbery rich. That's why it not running well

Shop time for your bike I'm afraid. If you have the room and time then take the carbs out and just take the assembly in. You'll save some money that way. And go invest in that CT charger or find your lost one. Sounds like you'll need it.

Bruce gets a nice 98% on that essay.