02' r6 rear brake "GRINDING"

Thread: 02' r6 rear brake "GRINDING"

Bike
    2002 Yamaha r6,

02' r6 rear brake "GRINDING"

So my rear brake has a grind to it, its not that bad but its not good, I don't want to take it to the shop because they'll charge just to tell me whats wrong. So what could this be, and if it means taking the brake off I need instructions, or pictures if you have any

Thanks
    Its better to have the power and not need it, then to need the power and not have it

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

doug
    download the shop manual for your bike from the sticky post in this section. it will give you detailed instructions on how to disassemble your rear brake, fix it, and put it back on.

grinding is one of two things: grit on the pads, or metal on metal contact. grit on the pads can be cleaned up fairly easy. metal on metal means you have no brake pads left, and they must be replaced before you damage the rotor.

Bike
    04 Kawi Z1000,
    Take off the rear wheel. The rear caliper and bracket will then will be loose on the end of the hose and it should be pretty obvious from there what pin to pull out to let the pads come out.

Actually if you know what you're looking for you can sight down the rotor and see the pads along the gap of the caliper and tell if the pads are totally worn or not.

Download the manual as Doug suggests and use it for this. It's pretty basic stuff. Just pay attention to all the bits and keep them organized so you put it all back together the same way.
    A backyard mechanic without a service manual is just like a hooker without a lamp pole.... they are both in the dark.

:) you'll live longer Array rockshoxbiker's Avatar
    Bike
    Yamaha
    I'd suggest just taking the read caliper off and inspecting it for debris.

My SV once had a pebble in the caliper then made some scrapping noise and i just took the caliper off and it was apparent why there was noise.

I suggest that because it's the easiest thing to check first.

Bike
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Thomson
    So my rear brake has a grind to it, its not that bad but its not good, I don't want to take it to the shop because they'll charge just to tell me whats wrong. So what could this be, and if it means taking the brake off I need instructions, or pictures if you have any

Thanks
    I suggest take it to a shop like 5th gear cause you obviously don't know what you're doing asking peeps questions like this will leave you stranded when you have it apart and can't figure out how to put it back together sometimes when you can't do it yourself you gotta pay to play or learn the skills to do it yourself. Trust me I can't paint worth a shit so I leave it to the pro's. By the way thats how the shops make their money by having the skills to do quality work.