12 Motorcycle Safety Myths and Misconceptions

Thread: 12 Motorcycle Safety Myths and Misconceptions

Bike
    Demo Days

12 Motorcycle Safety Myths and Misconceptions

The Deadly Dozen: 12 Motorcycle Safety Myths and Misconceptions

When science meets urban legend and imperfect logic, some of the "facts" motorcyclists think they "know" about motorcycle safety, crashes, and riding turn out to be dangerous myths and misconceptions. From the February 2006 issue of Motorcycle Cruiser magazine. By Art Friedman.

http://motorcyclecruiser.com/streets..._safety_myths/

I find it hard to believe that some riders still think that laying down a motorcycle is the safest thing to do in an emergency. This is an interesting read.
    Last edited by BMR; 05-15-2006 at 04:03 PM.

Khalnath
    Good shit. I think they miss the point about "all the other drivers are trying to kill you" one, though. I don't know anybody who actually thinks all drivers are MALICIOUSLY trying to run bikes off the road. That doesn't mean it's not helpful to think of things that way.

If you're prepared to deal with someone ACTIVELY trying to hurt you, you're not very likely to get hurt by someone doing it by accident.

Very interesting about the lane splitting, though. I think I'll mull that one over. Lane splitting gives me the creepy crawlies, but then I'm still a newbie.

Registered User Array Jester666's Avatar
    Bike
    1966 Honda Dream305 1976 Honda CB550
    the one that surprised me was the lane splitting one. The rest is kind of common sense.
    "I laid 'er down" eeehehehe

myside.yourside.myside Array bluenote's Avatar
    Bike
    sold :/
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester666
    the one that surprised me was the lane splitting one. The rest is kind of common sense.
    "I laid 'er down" eeehehehe
    Liked most of 'em except for the loud pipes save lives, and the lane splitting.

Registered User Array SpideRider's Avatar
    Bike
    Good read.
    Cry in the dojo, laugh on the battlefield
    -----
    Sparring speed is a matter of simple physics:
    The height of your flight is inversely proportionate to the mass of your ass.

Bike
    Ninja 1000
    Good read. I don't know if I agree with everything but it was a good article.

I still think the best advice is "ride like everyone is out to get you!"

Bike
    91 CBR600 F2 & 01 VFR800
    It's pretty funny that like three of the myths are about helmets and its better not to wear them......obviously geared towards the US readers.

Bike
    Honda & Suzuki
    What they should have said below: there's no real statistical data to make a claim for either increased or decreased safety. If true why the hell is lane splitting against the law?

Myth 10: It's Better to Stay in Your Lane than Split Lanes

In most parts of the world, motorcycles split lanes all the time, everywhere traffic is heavy. Here in the U.S., people often act as if lane-splitting is insane. But when someone actually studied it in the only place in the U.S. where it's legal (California), they discovered it's actually slightly safer than staying in the lane in heavy, slow-moving traffic. Still many motorcyclists berate others who do it, when they should in fact be endorsing it.

ridenrain
    Folks who don't have loud pipes can ride around with their horn on all the time, to warn others that a motorcycle is comming.
    This should be in the new riders section instead.

Bike
    bike
    this is my favorite line.

"Studies show that helmeted motorcyclists actually suffer fewer neck injuries when they crash compared to riders who crash without helmets."
    Too sexy for this forum.

Fast Pack Slow Guy Array Tattoodles's Avatar
    Bike
    A privileged sufferer settling for an Italian motorcycle
    Green bike DON'T crash more than purple ones? No way!