No clutch shifting

Thread: No clutch shifting

2002 Yamaha r6,

No clutch shifting

Just wondering once your out of first gear will it hurt anything to shift without the clutch. This is my first race dirtbike, kx 125
    Its better to have the power and not need it, then to need the power and not have it

2. Remove Advertisements

builder of bikes Array cosworth's Avatar
    The Island

WMRC Past Prez three time Array NFG's Avatar
    Yamaha RD350LC Race Bike (Sold!)/ Yamaha XS1100 /YSR 50 Street and Race / Two 50cc Pocket Bikes / Honda Z50/ Yamaha BWS 50 (Sold!) /Yamaha MX100/ Yamaha YZ250/ Husqvarna 430 / a few projects in parts....
    No if done right. Yes if done wrong. It's even easy on a two stroke to down shift with out a clutch. Very forgiving motor.

Practice till it blows then don't do that again.......
    Stefan Medlicott
    NFG Racing

"I guarantee that it will start, and I guarantee that it
    will blow up. I cannot guarantee the time between those two events."

"....those who go for broke often get there...."

"Buy in Haste, Repent at Leisure."

2004 YZ250
    i wouldnt recomend it. you will eventually break things. and its not good for the clutch. besides how hard is it to pull in the clutch lever on that thing? if its really hard or alot harder then youthink it should be...replace the clutch

...::::::::::::::::::.... Array YamahaScott's Avatar
    2003 R6 , 2003 YZ 250
    As far as I know, competition MX bikes (like the KX 125) are designed for "crash changing"
    When racing on a MX track, you change gears so often that using the clutch leads to arm pump...yes even popeye would suffer
    When riding trail and everywhere else... I clutch.
    Last edited by YamahaScott; 05-29-2006 at 07:08 PM.

Registered User Array savagebovine's Avatar
    New Westminster
    '06 GSXR 750
    read the bloody thread posted by cosworth

The only time i use the clutch is to start i never use the clutch to shift and i race my bike really hard.

theyre ment to be shifted clutchless. you just have to ease off the throttle a lil bit inorder to do it.
    why people are saying its "hard on the clutch" is truely astounding. since youre bypassing the clutch it should be harder on the tranny than it is on the clutch. if you know what youre doing you can also do it in a car, its just not as easy or fast.