HONDA ST1100 good / bad?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: HONDA ST1100 good / bad?

Bike
    Honda & Suzuki

HONDA ST1100 good / bad?

Is this a good deal or just so-so?
    http://www.gau-binns.net/st1100/

2001 HONDA ST1100. Extras. 19,926km. Moved overseas-not coming back. Stored 2 years. Put down at low speed. Cosmetic damage.

He’ll sell @ $7,000.00 (down from $7,500 OBO)

-left middle fairing panel
    -left upper (front?) panel
    -right middle fairing panel
    -right upper (front?) panel
    -anything burgundy and plastic around the headlight
    -upper center vent cover
    -right pannier outside cover
    -right mirror cover
    -the right engine guard wing and its cover was replaced with new parts

He says the guesstimate would be $2000 in body parts, That sounds low and I am very dubious it would include labor. Off the top of my head it sounds more like $3,500 - $4,000 including taxes and labor, (but still not including its first major service). if he sold for $6,000 I’m in for almost $10,000 plus service of say $300 plus complete presale check of $100 = $10,400 plus taxes = $11,000 OTD.

Have I crunched the numbers right?
    Last edited by Chumly; 05-24-2006 at 04:41 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    I got a gun ...
    You know ... i would be a bit hesitant of this thinking its a scam. If it is, its much more elaborate than usual. Either way go see the bike and the papers first.

Bike
    Honda & Suzuki
    Vili,
    What makes you think scam? I agree about going to see it, if I get motivated enough. Personally I would think $9,000 OTD all in, all fixed, all serviced.

Total costs are similar to Carter
    2000 HONDA ST1100A, 1100cc, 6 spd, Clean, top of the line sport-tourer. Powerful V4 engine, ABS brakes, painted hardbags. Warranty provided. Test ride it today!. $10599. Stk# M0601251. Call Carter Motorsports, 1502 West 3rd Ave., Vancouver, B.C. Call Carter Motorsports, 1502 West 3rd Ave., Vancouver, B.C. Tel: 604‑736‑4547

Bike
    I got a gun ...
    yeh ... price seems kinda right. What makes me worried is that he is overseas. There have been plenty of people asking about classifieds like this, historically they have been grossly underpriced, and people were located all over eastern europe.

They ask you to send them monies via western union, and then basically never give you the bike. However, their websites have never been so elaborate or prices so close to the trading value. I would still insist on seeing the bike.

Another hard thing is for him to sign over the title since he is not here.

Supporting Sponsor/Vendor Array BooBoo11's Avatar
    Bike
    1994 Kawasaki Concours
    I don't know what your numbers actually are... but it sounds like he's asking to much for the bike. All things considered I would say he's asking top dollar for what its is. Plastic damage is expensive to fix and even if you do it yourself you'd want to get it painted and thats got the potential to be expensive.
    Doesn't sound like a scam just to high a price.

Good luck.

ps I have an estimate for my concours that racked up about $4500 recently and I could email that to you. It might give you an idea of what sort of numbers you're looking at.

Booboo

Bike
    04 Kawi Z1000,
    Those ST's were/are very expensive bikes with a faithful following and he'll get what he's asking scuffs and all with a bit of patience.

Plastic isn't hard to replace Dan. If you go for the deal just order the stuff in and replace it yourself. It can be done even out by the curb with just the tools in the toolkit.
    A backyard mechanic without a service manual is just like a hooker without a lamp pole.... they are both in the dark.

rain? whats that! Array REVELATIONS's Avatar
    Bike
    SV 1000s
    Seeing as its in NANAIMO (where all good things take place).... I'd be very cautious.

Bike
    Honda & Suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by TeeTee
    Those ST's were/are very expensive bikes with a faithful following and he'll get what he's asking scuffs and all with a bit of patience.

Plastic isn't hard to replace Dan. If you go for the deal just order the stuff in and replace it yourself. It can be done even out by the curb with just the tools in the toolkit.
    Well well, that's interesting thanks Tee Tee. So if I could do $6,000 - $6,500 (as is, pretax) assuming nothing else is wrong outside of what is listed, that would be a good thing Martha?

Rock bottom here I come Array Dalma's Avatar
    Bike
    2002 Honda VFR800
    I would say that 9K repaired would be a decent price.

Bike
    Honda & Suzuki
    Thanks Dale.

Bike
    2007 BMW G650X-Challenge
    All good places to start.
    www.st-owners.com www.st1100.org www.st-riders.com

You may not even notice the scratches, and the cracks can be fixed and repainted. Just be aware that used parts are hard to come by on EBay if you are looking, they come up, but not often. Harder to steal I guess

Considering Carter is selling theirs for $9K and Kelowna Honda has a 97 for $9K with 110,000 MILES, I think that this is a good deal.

...but the 13 is faster
    Dan
    2007 BMW G650X Challenge

Bike
    SV track, VFR road
    So he managed a low speed get-off on both sides?

Are you sure that everything the bodywork bolts to is straight? ST's are hard to come by here, but I'd suggest that you wait. From your previous posts, I expect you'd prefer an ABS model, so there's another reason to wait for the "right" bike. You'll get some decent cash for that VFR when the time comes.

Spend the $$ now and be happy later:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/mcy/162647750.html

2003 Honda ST1300A. Heated grips, electric windshield, ABS, Helibar, tank bag, saddlebag liners, cover. 11,600 miles. Excellent condition. Includes Garmin 2610 touchscreen GPS and Touratech mount.
    Or catch a cheap flight to San Jose:

http://www.craigslist.org/sby/mcy/162571696.html

2001 Honda ST1100 w/abs, 5.5k miles, Givi matching bag, Give touring tank bag, like new condition.
    "When in doubt accelerate.
    It may not help you avoid the problem,
    but it'll end the suspense."

WMRC #96 (retired)

Bike
    Honda & Suzuki
    Yeah Brent, you are right. Those two you listed make lots more sense, and I dig ABS and I'm not in any rush that's for sure. Thanks very much!

Bike
    None right now...
    Second the recommendation to wait for a non-dropped bike. A drop at low speed shouldn't damage *both* sides of the bike... I'm thinking the owner is downplaying his mishap somewhat.
    ---
    My Picasa Album

Bike
    04 Kawi Z1000,
    It's a fairly large and heavy bike. It's possible that he had a rolling oopsie on one side and a parking lot or garage flop on the other or some combo.
    A backyard mechanic without a service manual is just like a hooker without a lamp pole.... they are both in the dark.