First Street Tard?

Thread: First Street Tard?

Registered User Array ApatheticEnd's Avatar
    Bike
    05 CBR600RR

First Street Tard?

I ride an 05 600RR and I'd like a supermoto for a second bike. It will be mostly dedicated street riding but I might race with Victoria supermoto. I really want to road race but I can't afford it. Supermoto racing looks to be cheap (relative) and a crapload of fun. I really want something fairly light, easy to toss around, bulletproof motor, and one that will wheelie everywhere. Service intervals MUST be reasonable. I don't want to spend more time changing oil and doing rebuilds than riding. Ideally, i'd like to find something slightly used but I've got to leave the country for 7months so I might treat myself something top O' the line when I get back (10G range). These are the bikes that I've been considering:

Husaburg 450 (in street trim) appx. $10,000 - There is a dealer here in Vic and they are great guys. Great bike that makes lots o' power and looks the buisness.

Husqvarna SMR450 or 510 appx. $8500 - $10000 - Best looking bike out there (except Aprillia) and good reputation for quality. A bit harder to get ahold of but that isn't a big worry. I know 5thGear has a used 510 for sale and I'd be on it in a second if I weren't leaving for so long.

I've had a look at the DRZ-400SM but I haven't been able to ride one and I would expect it to be pretty underpowered.

SG Power in Vic is getting Aprillia soon. I'm in love with their fuel injected, v-twin, motard but they can't give me a pricepoint. I'd expect it to be quite out of my price range (i've heard as high as $16,000, and that is just retarded!).

I don't really want a converted 450 dirtbike but if the right deal came along I'd have a look.

What do you guys think? What would you buy? Would you buy something purpose built or do a build-up?

Thanks
    Josh

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    05 CBR600RR
    I find it hard to believe that no one on bcsportbikes has an opinion!

Bike
    2005 CBR 600RR
    We just sold a new Husky 510 and it's incredible. The radial mount brembo front caliper is deadly it's a really good bike. We but all black plastic on it and a JD jet kit. The jet kit dynoed at 60hp. There new digital dash is nice and compact and works great.

Bike
    04 Kawi Z1000,
    Oh, we have opinions all right but we're too busy wondering which one will confuse you the most...

Of the lot you mentioned I'd recomend the Husky. The Husky group around here has had it's set of issues but on the whole they have been pretty minor compared to what I've heard about the other brands... Orange in particular.

I do two events on the short tracks before changing the oil and I'm checking the valves once every 10 hours. I'm keeping a log book of the whole thing to keep track of it all. For street riding it wouldn't be that bad. New oil every 1000 kms and filter every second or third change depending on what the filter comes out looking like.

Valves checked every 6000 kms or so would be fine. Takes about 30 to 40 minutes to check 'em. Shims come out slick as anything without needing to pull the cams. (gee, what a sensible idea!).

Parts for Orange bikes seem to be easier to get with Holeshot in Langley getting most of the basics within a week or two.

If you want to stay with Japanese there's really only one way to go. Yamaha WR450 and put 17's on it and add on the street lighting kit and get it registered. Just avoid the urge to go crazy like j1k did and spend too heavy a bundle on it.

The DRZ is a great bike but it doesn't hold a candle to the higher priced bikes for power or giggle factor. With the DRZ's you have to make your own giggles by pushing the bike hard. With the Husky it's like I'm out on the town wiht a horny and high priced hooker....
    A backyard mechanic without a service manual is just like a hooker without a lamp pole.... they are both in the dark.

Kamik
    *cough* wr450... *cough* too bad you're gonna be leaving for a while as i'm gonna be selling mine in a month or so. i'm gonna miss it, soooo much fun to commute with.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    TZ250 (sorta), '81 RD350LC
    My vote goes for the Husaberg -mind you I own one (FS650E). I also suspect you could get a pretty good break on the price of that 450 at Adrenalin - talk to Jim. I can say that dealing with Adrenalin has been a treat as well.

Bike
    K3.1K
    The Aprilia's are priced at 8399, and 8699 for the 450 and 550 respectively, in the states.

dunno what we will be getting them in for at SG yet, but i doubt that high. I have heard they will be directly priced against the KTMs.

Bike
    Best of both world 2,4 stroke Honda
    u guys don't know what kinda ass kicking power and reliabilty you are missing out on by adding an extra 2 strokes. Get a big bore CR 500, light it up and kick everyones ass in every department.
    your signature is not private.

Bike
    05 CBR600RR
    Thrills, if they are competativly priced, and the service intervals aren't retarded, i'll order one in Febuary before I get back. I'd love the Husky, the bang for the buck is awesome, but i'd like to be close to a dealer.

And Po-Boyz, a CR500 is the most insane bike i've ever thrown a leg over. My ass has no buisness on it. The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak!

Bike
    2007 BMW G650X-Challenge
    There is a guy up here selling his HuskyTE610 for about $5500 or so I think. It is in the classifieds.
    http://bcsportbikes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70039

Doesn't have the SM gear yet I don't imagine, but is probably has street legal gear. I can ask him tonight.

Edit: Saw the bike a few minutes ago. He is asking $5500 and it doesn't have any street legal gear on it, but I didn't ask if he had any for it.
    Last edited by Bora20; 06-09-2006 at 06:08 PM.
    Dan
    2007 BMW G650X Challenge

Bike
    N/A Supermoto:
    Quote Originally Posted by Po-Boyz
    u guys don't know what kinda ass kicking power and reliabilty you are missing out on by adding an extra 2 strokes. Get a big bore CR 500, light it up and kick everyones ass in every department.
    uhmmmm ok
    look where you want to go even if there's no chance in hell of actually getting there..

Bike
    04 Kawi Z1000,
    Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticEnd
    ...And Po-Boyz, a CR500 is the most insane bike i've ever thrown a leg over. My ass has no buisness on it. The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak!
    Locally John Parker had one set up for racing and he had his share of wins with it. He later sold it to Paul Ludwig that also did very well with it for a couple of seasons. John is an ex nation MX champ from NZ and described it as being "scarey to ride" along with a shift of facial expression to something approaching SERIOUS respect.

That was good enough to show me that MY butt has no business on the saddle of a CR500....
    A backyard mechanic without a service manual is just like a hooker without a lamp pole.... they are both in the dark.