I joined the club yesterday!!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I joined the club yesterday!!!

Bike
    DRZ-SM

I joined the club yesterday!!!!

After about two years of wanting to get a supermoto, I finally picked up a brand new 2006 Suzuki DRZ400SM (black) last night!!! I wanted a reliable bike with little maintenance to start out with, so the DRZ was perfect. Maybe in the future I'll upgrade to a Husky or something, but for now the DRZ will be perfect!

We went out riding last night on the backroads of Mission and that was THE MOST FUN I have EVER had on those roads!!!

Once I get the first service over with and some goodies put on it, I'll be good to go for Boundary Bay, Victoria and Mission (ya, it's not super competitive, but it's FUN!).

;D
    Last edited by BigRed; 06-02-2006 at 11:03 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Motard Central Array FastbyFerreira's Avatar
    Bike
    Motard Central
    Once I get the first service over with and some goodies put on it, I'll be good to go for Boundary Bay, Victoria and Mission (ya, it's not super competitive, but it's FUN!).

;D[/QUOTE]

Welcome to the "brighter" side... stay in touch for our Joe's gatherings...
    I Cant Fix Stupid.

Bike
    N/A Supermoto:
    Wicked Red !! Often enough you showed interest in the SM eh ...
    nice to have you come ride with us now ..
    look where you want to go even if there's no chance in hell of actually getting there..

Registered User Array NapoleanInRags's Avatar
    Bike
    2016 Aprilia Shiver 750
    Wow, congrats!

I test rode an '06 and afterwards when I got back on my SV, I missed the SM terribly, even though I was on it for only 20 minutes.

Bike
    DRZ-SM
    Quote Originally Posted by WILD FX
    Wicked Red !! Often enough you showed interest in the SM eh ...
    nice to have you come ride with us now ..
    I've had interest for a long time now. I took a DRZ-SM out as a demo from RMS a couple of times (hey, where did Shane go?), and Bill also let me take his Husky 510 out at Boundary Bay once.

I guess it all started from riding the dual sport bikes at the Safety Council. I always try to grab one of them when I can because they're so agile and easy to ride, then I test rode the SM and I was sold. I also want to try trials bikes.... anyone got one?

I would much prefer to ride slow and technical than fast anyday. You guys are going to have to show me the ropes to the dark side!!!

;D

Registered User Array counter_strike's Avatar
    Bike
    R6 and VFR

tart

Congrat!

Is the suzuki good on highway too? I am thinking about getting one myself.
    I heard Husky 510 is quite nice as well. Anyone know how it compares?

Bike
    DRZ-SM
    It's ok on the highway, you can do 100-110 no problem. In stock form it tops out around 150 or so. One guy on here rode to Mexico and back on a stock DRZ-SM.

EDIT: This is the Mexico trip on a DRZ-SM: http://www.bcsportbikes.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=58351

;D
    Last edited by BigRed; 06-01-2006 at 03:52 PM.

Bike
    K3.1K
    I had a husky 450sm. I didnt get much use out of it, as I was looking for a more street centered ride. It was amazingly fun, but wasnt overly happy on the street. Full throttle or full brake and it was great, other than that it was a bit annoying.

Perhaps the 510 would be different, but there's still a LOT more maintenance than a drz.

I'm with BigRed - drz400sm is the way to go.

Im strongly considering getting rid of my gixxer and picking up a drz for city riding and commuting, and a V-Strom for longer trips.

Bike
    2005 CBR 600RR
    Way to go Big Red , i prefer my 610 over the 510. It's more like the DRZ in terms of what purpose it was built for. But it has double the Horsepower.

Bike
    2005 CBR 600RR
    Quote Originally Posted by counter_strike
    Congrat!

Is the suzuki good on highway too? I am thinking about getting one myself.
    I heard Husky 510 is quite nice as well. Anyone know how it compares?
    510 is 100lbs lighter and around 60hp not 28hp. We just sold an 06 Husky 510 with all the streetlegal goodies and it's a great bike. It's right inbetween the DRZ and a KTM for maintenance. But it's very easy to work on. you can do the valve adjustment in about 5 minutes.

Bike
    DRZ-SM
    Quote Originally Posted by 5thgear
    Way to go Big Red , i prefer my 610 over the 510. It's more like the DRZ in terms of what purpose it was built for. But it has double the Horsepower.
    When I rode your 510 down at Boundary Bay.... I just knew I would lose my licence if I rode that on the street.

I'm going to stick with the DRZ for a season or two and get used to the different riding style. I've already signed up to do a course with WCSBS on it and we'll see how it goes from there.

But I can still see a Husky in my future.......

;D

Bike
    04 Kawi Z1000,
    BR, you've put some km's on it already so change the oil and filter and get you and the bike out to Tradex for Saturday. You can finish up the breakin there by riding it fairly hard but short shifting it to keep the RPM's from going too high.

By the time you finish up the day change the oil and filter again and you can consider the breakin as fully done and go play.
    A backyard mechanic without a service manual is just like a hooker without a lamp pole.... they are both in the dark.

Bike
    DRZ-SM
    Quote Originally Posted by TeeTee
    and get you and the bike out to Tradex for Saturday
    Ya, I REALLY want to do that, but the other thing stopping me is family coming to my place from out of town on Saturday.

I went over the whole bike last night and got acquainted with her and stripped off some useless and ugly stuff. Then I looked out at the rain and went upstairs to watch TV.

I'm going to have to look at all the upcoming dates to make sure I can make ALLLL of the future events!

;D

Registered User Array ApatheticEnd's Avatar
    Bike
    05 CBR600RR
    OH that's it, I'm buying a Husky. 50bHP for $200 more than a DRZ? I'm glad to hear that you are enjoying your DRZ, but I want a pure NUTTER!

Bike
    04 Kawi Z1000,
    Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticEnd
    OH that's it, I'm buying a Husky. 50bHP for $200 more than a DRZ? I'm glad to hear that you are enjoying your DRZ, but I want a pure NUTTER!
    I guarantee that you will NOT be dissapointed. Just go into it knowing that you're buying a demanding diva rather than an easy going "girl next door" and that you need to keep up on all the stuff. There is also the marginal risk of something grenading. The odds are not high but they are "better" than the odds of similar failure on the DRZ.

But the Husky shares this need for extra work and risk with all the rest of the bikes in the same power output class. Research on my part indicated that the Husky is better than some so I would say that out of the bikes in this class the Husky IS the most reliable. Parts ordering may be an issue so I would not want to have the Husky as my ONLY bike. Keep that in mind.

But if you join the Husky family there's a lot of grins and giggles ahead of you.
    A backyard mechanic without a service manual is just like a hooker without a lamp pole.... they are both in the dark.