What should I do? - Oil leak woes

Thread: What should I do? - Oil leak woes

Bike
    Duc S2R 1000

What should I do? - Oil leak woes

Hey there - looking for some input from people about my recent experiences with a local shop.

I brought my new '05 FZ1 in for its 1k service at shop 'A', as these guys have a good reputation and I have always had positive dealings with them. I bought the bike 1 - 2 months prior at shop 'B' who don't have the same rep. But what the hell, its a new bike, an '05 remainder, and shop 'A' doesn't have the colour I like.

Anyway, I get the 1k service done, return home, and find it leaking oil the following ride. Return to shop 'A' have them diagnose an overfill of oil, and redo the job (thats 2 trips for the 1k service). Return home and wake up with a puddle of oil under my bike. Trip three to shop 'A', and learn that its likely an o-ring (misdiagnosed at trip 2, possibly b/c of the overfill).

3-4 business days to get an o-ring.

Day 5, find out its still leaking. The replaced the o-ring but oil is still getting by it - they tried several options.

Went by the shop. Looks like I have a lemon, they can't determine the cause without major surgery - surgery that has to be okay'd by Yamaha Canada. Yamaha Canada (Ontario) has gone home . . . back on Monday. Shop 'A' is closed on Mondays, so I may get them to start work on Tuesday.

So far my bike has been in and out of the shop for 3 weeks. Next tuesday will be the start of week 4. I've been to the shop 4 times (its far from home / work and off the transit lines). I am relatively satisfied with their attitude (except for the overfill and mis-diagnosis).

However, the bike is my only transportation, I ride year round, and now I have to get to Whister for a stag and have no means of getting there (the shop said I could take the bike - I said no thanks its leaking oil).

My question is - what should I expect from these guys? I believe a loaner bike is out of the question, but does anyone know something I don't? The work is being done for free, but what about the inconvienience?

Thoughts?

and - 4 days for and o-ring????? Shouldn't those be in a drawer somewhere?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    95 ZX-6R
    if the work has to be approaved by yamaha canada the problem is with the bike not the shop. the shop, i dont think, has any liability other than to fix the work that is ok'd.since its a newer bike you might try for a loaner bike/ vehicle of somesort and see if yamaha will foot the bill.

Registered User Array radmtrbkr's Avatar
    Bike
    Gravity Warp Drive
    how do you misdiagnose an oil overfill?

Yup, bin' on a holiday... Array SkipTkt's Avatar
    Bike
    1 Honda, 1 Suzuki, 1 Yamaha.
    I'll leave the opinions of mechanics to the mechanics.

As a consumer, I suggest you keep your receipts handy, your attitude war-prep'd and your willingness to compromise set at ZERO. Your new bike didn't leak before the oil change and you want it fixed. NOW.

I've yet to hear of any dealer / shop / manufacturer willingly remedy a potentially serious [or expensive] problem for a consumer unless that consumer is aggressive and unwilling to compromise. [And why should you?]. Assume nice guys get shit on and all vendors are evil... and let them prove you wrong.

When you see evidence of assistance, don't confuse it with being evidence of a solution.

Now go getm'...
    It's not the number of breaths you take but the moments that leave you breathless.

Jackie Chan's stuntdouble Array Motorcycle Man's Avatar
    Bike
    CBR600 F4
    I wonder if the mechanic installed the drain bolt without the washer and cracked the pan.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    '79 Honda 500SE<- Joke, I have a nice bike
    This all seems very odd.
    Where exactly is the oil comming from?
    Is is leaking from the "o-ring" where the filter attaches?
    I don't underestand how an internal problem results in oil escaping onto the ground. There has to be an external hole somewhere. My money is on the leak being at the drain plug or the "o-ring" on the filter, both dead simple to diagnose a matter of seconds. The only other place would be a major gasket, but that is simply not going to happen on a stock '05 jap sportbike.

I'll bet that the shop screwed the pooch on the oil change by overtightening either the drain plug or the filter. Get the bike in front of a mechanically inclined friend before going to far. You may have a shop telling you things to cover up for thier mistakes. I am no mechanic, but If you are in west van tommorow I would love to take a look at this very strange problem.

-Sandworm
    NOT A LAWYER

Bike
    Duc S2R 1000
    Thanks for the thoughts - I should have explained - the oils coming from the area of the starter motor. On top of the engine, behind the pistons.

So, its not the pan, or oil filter washer. I have done my own work before (automotive, non-warranty) so its not something simple sadly. I also had a friend look at the original leak (due to overfill).

I dream of a loaner bike - but don't think its reasonable given insurance, depreciation on the loaner, etc. I'm hoping I'm wrong and someone can weigh in.

Bike
    Your mama...(late model)
    It almost sounds like the over-fill condition caused oil to puke up the the air filter housing and is leaking out the housing drain...??? Isn't that right above the starter motor? An over fill condition would pump oil out the crank-case vent, would it not? If so, it would fill the air box....and start draining onto the starter...
    “……If a chick sits on your face and you can't hear the stereo anymore...she's too fat! --The Machinist.

Bike
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by slowzuki
    It almost sounds like the over-fill condition caused oil to puke up the the air filter housing and is leaking out the housing drain...??? Isn't that right above the starter motor? An over fill condition would pump oil out the crank-case vent, would it not? If so, it would fill the air box....and start draining onto the starter...
    Almost ready to shout BINGO get someone competent to pull the tank and take a look in the air box prolly full of oil at one time.

Rhinotillexomania Array p0rn.star's Avatar
    Bike
    Yamaha = Junk.

Should have got a honda.
    Only good Suzuki is a crashed Suzuki.