Sigh..car won't start
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sigh..car won't start

Bike
    S

Sigh..car won't start

I have left my camry in the garage for almost half a year now and it won't start when tried to start it today. Battery is good, but all the car does is make this clicking sound. The engine does't turn over or start. I didn't do anything to it before, just left it in the garage.

What do I need to do to get it running again??

Addict Array
    Bike
    2000 Honda VFR
    how do u know the battery is good? How 'bout the battery terminals?

Bike
    bike
    that clicking sound is your starter saying fuck you I need a battery. Put a new battery in it and I am sure it will start.
    Too sexy for this forum.

The Philosopher King Array Frapps's Avatar
    Bike
    83 RG250 Gamma//95Kawi ZX6
    or its a fuse clicking and ur circuit is broke
    G.B. Shaw: We are made wise not by the recollection of our past but by the responsibility for our future
    Miguel Ruiz: Death is not the biggest fear we have our biggest fear is taking the risk to be alive and express what we really are

KAwa-lev
    Umm.. replace the battery or just get a voltmeter to see if its at least 12.8V's. Busted fuse, check ur distributor... maybe the rotor cap is needing changing.. But Mostly not..

give the battery a 3 - 4 hour charge.. Try it again, if its clicking just replace it. the batt has sulfated, and its garbage.

Bike
    S
    Because my dad hooked up a jumper cable to the car and then we tried to start it again and all it did was the clicking sound and jumper cable got pretty hot.

Bike
    Street:SV1000S Race:Ninja 250R, CBR600 F3, DRZ125
    starter or solenoid perhaps. try hitting the starter with a hammer while turning the key.
    Some people are like Slinkies ...
    Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TwinBrosRacing <-click
    WMRC & PCMRC #19
    WMRC President

Addict Array
    Bike
    2000 Honda VFR
    Was it a good jumper set? Sounds like a battery, esspecially with the history of being parked for six months.

The Philosopher King Array Frapps's Avatar
    Bike
    83 RG250 Gamma//95Kawi ZX6
    feel around for what is clicking then u will know
    G.B. Shaw: We are made wise not by the recollection of our past but by the responsibility for our future
    Miguel Ruiz: Death is not the biggest fear we have our biggest fear is taking the risk to be alive and express what we really are

Bike
    2004 ZX-6R
    Get some sand paper and clean the terminals and battery terminals

Newbie Poser Squid Array bafflebrain's Avatar
    Bike
    bad, m'kay?
    Tow it to the nearest Toyota dealer so thet charge you $300 to clean the battery terminals and start the darn thing for you.
    "It's not my fault your slow!"

Rogue Rider
    sounds like the battery is WAY too dead to start yur car, when you hook up the jumpers the starter is sucking FULL pull through the cables (thats why they get hott), Leave the jumper cables connected with the good vehicle running for a bit. This will give your dead battery a partial charge, so the next time you hit the key its not suckin 100% through the cables. Might aswell clean yur battery teminals while yur at it (eliminate one more culprit).

Registered User Array Jester666's Avatar
    Bike
    1966 Honda Dream305 1976 Honda CB550
    charge the battery dude, charge the battery...
    If it won't hold a charge, even with the jumper cables car may not be able to start.
    you will be glad many times in the future if you get yourself:
    1.booster pack
    2.multimeter.

In a pinch, you can always take out a busted battery, and temporarily hook up a booster pack in its place, just to get you to the nearest Lordco or CT or wherever you buy a battery.

And a multimeter usually pays for itself after first use.
    A healthy battery should hold a bit above 12V, healthy charging system should put out just over 13V i think.
    so here's your benchmark.
    go test it
    Last edited by Jester666; 06-11-2006 at 07:41 PM.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    '79 Honda 500SE<- Joke, I have a nice bike
    Useable batteries should read between 10 and 13 depending on a bunch of stuff. The car should live at 13.9 volts but will probably idle at a bit less.
    -sandworm
    NOT A LAWYER

Hangin' with my gnomies Array whillis's Avatar
    Bike
    a two wheel love machine
    Do not hit the starter with a hammer! You'll break the magnets and it'll be toast for sure. This is a lesson I learned the hard way.
    It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye, then it's a scavenger hunt.