Tire recommendations... for a car.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tire recommendations... for a car.

Bike
    I wish.

Tire recommendations... for a car.

So I need some new tires, likely of the ultra high perfomance type.. browsing around on tiretrends I see a variety of prices..

I'm looking for 225/40/18's and I can't seem to understand how some people are saying a $136 Kumho is great compared to the $400 Pilot's. I mean, that's a HUGE price difference - especially when you remember you need 4 of these.

I was also considering the Nero's or the Toyo Proxies T1.

Hopefully some of you have some experience and can guide me a bit here..
    BCSB- Administrator

Bike
    Rhubarbed.....RIP GPZ
    Falken's IMO are the best bang for the buck. Road noise is a little more noticeabl IMO but the grip in dry and wet performance is great. Won't break the bank either. Kal Tire carries them and they have good warranty and free flat repair warranty.

I've use there flat repair 3 time (bloody nails) no charge.
    A bad day of riding is, still better than a good day of work.

giggity Array
    Bike
    99 yamaha r6
    if you want my advice I would say go with the toyo proxes I had a set of t1s's on my old trans am and I loved them great performance good tread and great in both rain and dry best tires I have bought yet.

Bike
    ZX10r
    Stay away from Falkens!!! Absolutely horrible traction!! I ran them on my MR2 and changed them within a few thousand kliks. I haven't tried the Kumho's, but they have a good rep as being a good performing economy tire. My all time faves performance wise are Pirelli P-Zero's but pricy. Out of the better priced tires I liked the Firestone/Bridgestone .... err forgot the model ... but they got a prominent V-tread pattern and Dunlop SP9000's.

Becoming Insane Array CorvetteBoy's Avatar
    Bike
    Nagasaki XXRR
    Firehawk wide ovals. I believe them to be equal to the F1 Supercar's that came with my car. Great value for what you get and good in rain or dry.

Bike
    '05 YZF600R
    I'd also recommend PZero Nero M&S, just order them thru TireRack.com and get them shipped and installed in the US.

Bike
    Nekkid 650
    I'm a big fan of Kuhmo ECSTA MX's. Ran them for a couple years, including track time at Portland and Seattle. Now, I've not run with Pilots, but I'd buy the MX's again in a heart beat: great grip for a street tire, durable and reasonably priced. They may be 1/3 the cost of Pilots, but I'd bet even on a track you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference.

Registered User Array mikeelliot's Avatar
    Bike
    GSX-R600
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyd
    I'm a big fan of Kuhmo ECSTA MX's. Ran them for a couple years, including track time at Portland and Seattle. Now, I've not run with Pilots, but I'd buy the MX's again in a heart beat: great grip for a street tire, durable and reasonably priced. They may be 1/3 the cost of Pilots, but I'd bet even on a track you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference.
    +1 for Kumhos!

Bike
    03 GiX sIx
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeelliot
    +1 for Kumhos!
    i've used the kumhos and they are good tires

Bike
    2007 BMW G650X-Challenge
    I have the Kumho ESCTA ASX mounted on my E320 wagon in a 235/45R17. I live them, but don't push the car hard so I am not sure how they would be on something more powerful.

However, the price is right and if you burn through them quickly, your wallet will thank you. As well, I thought, is it really worth the $200 more per tire just for Michelins or Continnentals? Especially if they last the same amount of time.

+1 more for Kumho tires. +1 more for www.tiretrends.com I have bought 17 tires from these guys in the last 4 years and everytime they are 100% helpful and great to deal with.
    Dan
    2007 BMW G650X Challenge

Bike
    bike
    kumho just has a nice ring to it. Get some kumho's.
    Too sexy for this forum.

Bike
    09 gsxr 750
    toyo proxes t1-s is one of the ultimates (wet/dry), if u broke go with falkens

Registered User Array 97GSXR600's Avatar
    Bike
    00 R6
    Kumho ecsta 712s don't last very long. Falkens have a very ugly looking sidewall due to a rim protector and a lot of road noise. The Excsta MXs are a good all round tire.

I am running 245/40 and 255/40/17 Sumitomo HTRZ IIs on my supercharged Mustang. For the price i am VERY happy with them. GREAT traction and minimal road noise. I bought them from www.tirerack.com for 90 bux a piece. Cheapest place for tires. Just ship it to point roberts or any other parcel depot just south of the border and you'll save A LOT of money even after duties and gas

They also have a survey of all the types of tires and the Sumitomo HTRZ IIs finished 14th out of 40 i believe
    Live to ride

The Comedy is in the Back Array Saturnin's Avatar
    Bike
    bro, do you even ride in a straight line? #1 asshole
    country tire, used tires for 25bux a piece, lol.
    Throttle Trauma 3 - Stunt riding documentary - digital download - visit Asphaltjunkiez.com
    The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.

Bike
    2002 CBR600F4i

Toyo T1-R 225/40/17

I'm running Toyo T1-Rs.
    They are the best i've used so far, well compared to BS potenza SO-2 and goodyear Eagle RSA. I don't wanna sound like a rice boy. (I'm asian, but drive and American car, Grand am GT supercharged). But i can just barely chirp these tires, cause they bite so hard.

Dry grip 9/10, as expected.
    Cornering is 9/10, thanks to stiff sidewalls
    Tread wear 7/10, but hey you can't expect endurance if you want grip.
    But whats really great, and worth every penny is the WET GRIP!!!!!
    The wet grip is almost as good as the dry grip. You really have to give these a shot. They are also much lighter than the potenza pole position. 17 lbs for my tire size.

The only negative, small one... is the tire noise at highway speeds. But it doesn't bother me as i just turn the stereo up a little bit louder.