BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Beginnner bike: Good for Long Hauls?

2K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  Stargaze 
#1 ·
Hey guy's. I am looking into getting into riding. I am looking for a bike which would be good for a beginner, and would be comfortable for long hauls (Looking at a few cross country trips in the next 2 years). An Older CBR would be awesome, but I really doubt it would be comfortable. I have ridden my friends older Katana, and it is horrid for anything longer then an hour (So he said). I can see the CBR being worse then this. I would like to find something in the $3000 range for now.

I know everyone on here will suggest a small 250cc or similar, but with the planned x-country trips, it just wont be enough.

#3 ·
3k may be severly limiting your options if your looking for a sportbike as well. I assume thats what your looking for? Otherwise I am sure cruisers are where its at for longer hauls. I find my yzf600r is pretty comfy on long rides 8 hours or so a day with short stops.

#4 ·
CBR600s are some of the most comfortable sportbikes ever made, which is in part a reason for their huge popularity and appeal. I had a '93 F2 and several hours in the saddle was no problem at all. The only place it started to get a bit sore was at the very front of the seat, where it meets the tank. A Corbin seat or the like would make that an easy fix.

I've also travelled on a '86 GSX-R750, and found it didn't take long to get accustomed to the more extreme - but purposeful - riding position. Ride enough and your body adapts... it's then a matter of what you choose to adapt to.

As for size, I rode down to L.A. and back on my first bike, an air-cooled Suzuki GS400 twin. I put on a small windshield and a tankbag and it was good to go. You can tour on almost anything, if you keep an open mind.

#5 ·
ZoomaFoo said:
CBR600s are some of the most comfortable sportbikes ever made, which is in part a reason for their huge popularity and appeal. I had a '93 F2 and several hours in the saddle was no problem at all. The only place it started to get a bit sore was at the very front of the seat, where it meets the tank. A Corbin seat or the like would make that an easy fix.
couldn't agree more, My 91 F2 is a freakin sofa. still had a some what agressive position but with a corbin seat its nice, very nice.

#6 ·
Alright, a little info on myself...

I am of the Male gender
6'1, maybe 6'2
175lbs.
20 years old

What type of bike do I want... Well I would like a sport bike, but since it will be my first bike it probably doesn't matter, I just want it to be reliable. What type of riding will I be doing? Well commuting for the most part, but having fun while doing it...

#7 ·
look at one of those suzuki 500 GS. I've heard they are compy for 6 footers, it'll get you across the country and its in your price range.

#8 ·
Pretty well anything will do for you then.

I'm at the extreme end, but I've managed consecutive 1600 km days on a ninja 250.

The GS 500 isn't much better power or size wise.

If it was me, I'd look at something like a CB750. Enough power and weight to comfortably do distances, not much to go wrong mechanically on them, lots of them around $3k for older garage queens with low mileage, and you can easily clip a windshield and saddlebags onto it for long trips, and take them off in town.

No plastic to get smashed when you drop it learning, you can fit crashbars to it, and long enough in the leg room department to not make you feel cramped.

#9 ·
I'm 6' 1" as well and I've been riding a CBR600F2 as a track bike for the past few years.

IF you want a sportbike then you'd be very hard pressed to find a more street and touring friendly option than an F2 or F3 generation CBR. They are pretty much identical in riding ergos and those ergos are very upright and comfy for a sportbike. If this isn't comfy enough for you then you need a Vstrom 650 or Suzuki Bandit 600. Both have nice upright ergos and a frame mounted fairing for less turbulent touring speed operation and both are pretty decent as far as being beginner bikes. The Bandit engine being the same one your buddy has in his Katana. Another option that would be decent first time bike is the older Seca II.

But in reality the Katana is a pretty relaxed riding position as well and is about the same as the older CBR's. So if you think that you'd fit the Katana about the same as your buddy and that he's in about the same degree of health and fitness as him then you're in trouble if you consider any sort of sportbike.

#10 ·
I you want a sportbike/600 then you might also consider the old ZX6 or a YZF600 (like the one adam112 has above--they've been making them since the late 90's), though the YZF might be very difficult to find in your price range. Both of these bikes were similar in comfort to the VFR I ride (I did full day rides on each delivering them to friends). You might find a clean ZX6 in that range, though I wasn't particularly impressed with the quality of the one I rode as it was rather bagged after only 40000km.

My buddy rode the YZF I found for him across Canada--his first long tour. Make sure you spend the $ to get something that works for you--buyer's remorse would really suck 3000km from home.

Good luck.

#11 ·
I ride an 04 Suzuki GS500F (see avatar)- the sitting position is very upright and as such your weight rests on your pelvis, not your wrists. It's easy to handle, (it's my very first bike too) and I LOVE mine. My longest ride so far was 6 hours and at the end I was still ready for more. It's got good power and I have no problem keeping up with my husband's 600 - even on the highways. We test rode the Ninja 250, 500, the SV650 and the Buell Blast before deciding on my GS500F - it's a comfy and stable ride that offered good protection from wind and sufficent power for a new rider without coming across as a "one season" beginner's ride.
(I'm 5'3" and 120 lbs - so am not exactly going to have the same experience with the bike that a tall guy will have, but I would really recommend you try one out)

My hubby rides a 95 YZF600R and has real troubles with his upper back and shoulders after a ride (he's about 5'10 I guess) - anything over 2 or 3 hours leaves him really sore - after our big 6 hour ride he was stiff and sore while I was fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.