help! bike stalled

Thread: help! bike stalled

Bike
    MONSTER

Question help! bike stalled

I was on 1st ave last night and then the bike felt like it ran out of gas, but I checked the clear inline fuel filter and there is gas in it. I tried to start it, but again it seems like there is no gas. I put the choke on and it started but it sounds like it is labouring just to idle. After a minute it seems fine so I rode off. 10 min later it did the same thing. Today it rode fine. Anyone have experience this before? I think that it has something to do with the carbs, but not sure. Any input is appreciated. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Registered User Array scubaphil's Avatar
    Bike
    99 R6
    what bike is it?
    is it the 95 ninja?
    If jack helped you off a horse would you help jack off a horse??

You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

Bike
    04 Kawi Z1000,
    Could be any of a few things. Blocked tank vent, petcock problem, vacuum line to petcock (if it's a vacuum operated one) or "other". Not a lot to work with other than it seems to be shy of gas.
    A backyard mechanic without a service manual is just like a hooker without a lamp pole.... they are both in the dark.

Bike
    MONSTER

Question

Yes it is the 95 250.
    The petcock was on reserve and I did see gas in the filtered line from petcock to the carb. However, I did noticed that the fuel level in the filter was a bit low.
    The bike would start only when the choke is on, just like a cold start.
    I know that this is not too much info to go on, this only happened to me a few times this season, but it is happening in a progressing frequency. Thanks

Registered User Array Commuter Boy's Avatar
    Bike
    Suzuki Bandit
    Oh fun. Next time it stalls, open the gas tank cap and listen to hear if there's a "whooshing" noise of air rushing in. There's a vent in the tank that allows air in to replace the gas that's going into the carbs. If it's gummed up, the bike runs ok for a while, then the gas just doesn't flow into the carbs quickly and the bike stalls. After a while enough air leaks in that it starts ok, runs for a bit then dies again.

There's a screen filter inside the tank attached to the petcock on most bikes, that might be getting clogged.

Do a plug check to see if both cylinders are acting up, or if it's just one.

There might be crap in the carbs, but I doubt it if you've got an inline filter.

When's the last time you've had a tune-up, plugs, valve adjustment, carb synch, and air filter cleaning?

Bike
    04 Kawi Z1000,
    It may be that some of the parts of the carb are becoming blocked with grunge from winter or other long term storage. A carb clean may be in order.
    A backyard mechanic without a service manual is just like a hooker without a lamp pole.... they are both in the dark.