Hit block of wood on Hwy. What should I check 4 dmg?

Thread: Hit block of wood on Hwy. What should I check 4 dmg?

North Vancouver
    98 Suzuki TLS

Hit block of wood on Hwy. What should I check 4 dmg?

Hey there. I commute to work everyday and today was no different except that I struck a piece of wood on the hwy today. It looked like one of those blocks that trucks stick behind their wheel to prevent rolling. Anyways, I was changing lanes behind a large flatbed semi-truck (low visibility). As I finished my shoulder check I was headed straight for this hunk of wood. Tried to evade it but pretty much nailed it with front tire at 80km/h,
    I stood up on the pegs and loosened the arms to brace for an impact. It struck my front tire, bottomed out my font forks and threw the TL into the air just a bit and then my back wheel ran over it(a little off the side). After the bike settled down after being jostled I just kept going…nothing seemed wrong.

I’m just wondering what damage I should be looking for. As I said, the forks bottomed out pretty good but the fork seals don’t appear to be leaking. No lower fairing to bung up. Any idea what area to check when a bike goes through such a violent impact? Frame tweaking? Steering head? Suspension internals?
    I love my squared off tyres. Torque rules.

2. Remove Advertisements

husqvarna 510 smr
    rim bent - if ur getting speed wobble
    forks - check for smooth compression/rebound

pretty easy to know if u got good damage. bike will just be wobbling n shudder while braking/accelerating...other than that u should be ok.

dats about all that will get damaged by that. go from there.

Across moat, past guard dogs and razor wire.
    Scooty-Puff Sr.
    Hitting a wheel block at 80k without crashing...You could start by checking your butt for horseshoes...
    "Fry, I'm an 80's guy. Friendship to me means that for two bucks I'd beat you with a pool cue till you got detached retinas." - That Guy

2005 CBR 600RR
    Check for splinters

05 Monster S2R
    yea what they said above.. if your continued to ride with no problems your pretty much A-OK

Registered User Array SpideRider's Avatar
    Fraser Valley
    Now go buy lotto tickets, lucky-ass!
    Cry in the dojo, laugh on the battlefield
    Sparring speed is a matter of simple physics:
    The height of your flight is inversely proportionate to the mass of your ass.

Out to pasture in the 'Wack
    04 Kawi Z1000,
    Check the wheel rims edges for possible bends. If they are OK then the bike is OK. If you have a bend in them then check that the fork legs are in alignment. If not then the front end just needs loosening and re-tightening to let it all spring back into place. Just eyeball from side to side to see if the legs line up visually.

But from the sounds of it you did fine. Good reactions to lighten up in the saddle and take it with your legs. Next time be sure a buddy has a video running...
    A backyard mechanic without a service manual is just like a hooker without a lamp pole.... they are both in the dark.