I thought I was done with this when I sold the Gixxer...
My '93 VFR shut down yesterday after about 45 minutes of ridiculous bumper-to-bumper. I believe it overheated, as it started fine after sitting for almost an hour, and the lights and gauges worked which leads me to believe it wasn't the dreaded rectifier/regulator.
The confusion is, the temp guage was nowhere near the red line, it was just over halfway through normal and the fan was cycling on and off. However, when it shut down, the fan wasn't on, yet the guage was higher than the typical "fan on" point. After cool-down and restart, the fan works as normal.
So, my thoughts are either faulty temp sensor (if that's what triggers the fan... can't tell from the wiring diagram) or water pump shuts down when hot. Any other thoughts?