BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Trends in the world of sportbikes...

2K views 26 replies 11 participants last post by  gordopolis 
G
#1 ·
What do you guys think the trends are in the world of sportbikes currently?

Just looking for some opinions.

Thanks guys.

:)

#2 · (Edited)
Trends ... Get a bike with pretty plastic ... Buying functional aftermarket parts with R&D development ... Track Riding ... Then I see this same crowd developing new tastes for Naked Bikes and Supermotards.

Ya I think the sportbike scene will be shot ... Everyone is getting a sportbike ... It is the most impractical thing on public roads if you think about it. Riders will die, innocent will die ... and sportbiking image won't be good ... Track crowd will remain, but I definately seem a move towards Standard Bikes with Sport susp and technology.

It is like the Import Car market .. It started out as California Style (all show, about money one spent) .. Then the JDM crowd started dissing heavily on Altezza Lights and Riced out cars, while they themselves spent THOUSANDS ON SPOON PARTS and never fully used their potential ... Now those same JDM dudes are heavily into Circuit (if you aren't on the track you are a fruit) ... so they are hitting the track now ...

Whats next??

The same crowd grows up ... and buys a Navigator ... haha .. I acctually see Sport Wagons gaining huge popularity. I love those A4 Wagons !!! Wooo ..

G
#3 ·
I'm really hoping the sport-standards start making a comeback (maybe they were never popular...). Sportbikes just keep narrowing their focus to the point that they really won't be that much fun for the streets anymore. Motorcycle Daily had a little piece with the same kinda point. They were saying the new Kawi 636 will probably inspire the other manufacturers to have a dedicated race-rep 600 and then a slightly bigger (like a 650) STREET model with more room and more mid-range. Bike's like the new Z1000 are a step in the right direction, but again I don't need 115hp to get to work in the morning. Let's have some more upright 600's and 750's. If they brought the Fazer 600 or Moto Guzzi 750 here I'd be thrilled. Maybe I'm just too conservative :)

#4 ·
I see design wise the bikes are going very angular with the plastics. Suzuki is trying hard to stay away from this though.

I see trends towards more info in the dash as well. Shift lights, actual fuel gauges, etc. I like this...

Gear is getting cheaper but still not enough people wear it :(

I think the SuperMotos (motards), the streetfighters and the parts for them are taking off.

Another trend? Internet purchasing is at an all time high I swear. Half the shit I want for my bike is not even KNOWN by shop guys. Let alone in stock. Hopefully RMS is going to change this...they plan to sell a lot of specialty items soon.

Lastly I think the "Stunt" community is getting a lot of recognition. as long as grandma is killed by some guy doing a standup it will still be undergrund. The way it should be. Last thing BCTV news needs is a full on report about guys on "Ninjas" are doing stunts on sidewalks and through backyards in Shaughnessy. :D

#6 · (Edited)
This is a tough one. I really think the trend to nakeds and sport touring bikes is something that's going to go far over the next decade.

Nakeds have been tried in the past since the sport bike took off but they were always neutered too much in the name of "roadability". I think the makers have finally got the message that we WANT the chasis and engine performance but without the back breaking position or fancy ass plastic. The new FZ1, ZRX, Honda 919 and the SV series are pointing that way. But I think they still aren't edgy enough. They all require serious mods in terms of springs and shock valving to come up to spec for serious riding. You think they would learn. The baby boomers that are mainly buying these bikes may be older but we aren't as soft as the marketing departments think we are. We've been spoiled by the handling and power of the sportbikes and we want all of that in our new geriatric rides, by cracky.

We want a sportbike guts but with upright sport toury ergos. HEY YOU MAKERS OUT THERE...... LISTEN UP!!!!!

The chasis on my 9R is lovely. Firm but soaks up even the biggest bumps. Sure you feel them but it's sofened by the good quality parts and, most importantly, there's no after shocks. THAT'S WHAT'S IMPORTANT.

I think the Super Motards are going to come on strong but they will continue to be a small niche market (sorry arai and WildFX and you others). They are just too extreme and, well, high in the saddle for a lot of riders. Not everyone has a 32 or larger inseam. And it's been shown in the past that riders don't like using boarding ladders or getting a hyke up from their riding buddies....... :D I DO think you're going to see a better selection of tires soon. Something that is mainly street but with an aggresive enough tread siping that you can handle logging roads and the like a little easier. And perhaps they will lower the saddle height a little to let more riders access these bikes...... and maybe even some specific engines......

Streetfighters ala Triumph Speed Triple and the new Speed Four are going to hit it big. Although one could argue that the nakeds are there already. I don't think so. It'll be a fine distinction but these streetfighter "nakeds" will have slightly different chasis setup to enhance stunting. A rearward CofG will aid getting the front end up and keeping it there easier. This will actually be a detriment to the straight line acceleration as the bike will want to wheelie all the time. So this aspect will also be a niche market. Sorta like Buell bikes but reliable...... <ducks>

For sportbikes I see a rosey future but one where the fast paced developments of the past decade are going to slow down a lot. We already have bikes that are almost too light and explode as soon as you're in a little crash. We already have engines that are making more specific power per liter than anything this side of a CART or Formula 1 racing car. We already have back breaking ergos that make super sense on the track but make one question their sanity when stuck in crawling city traffic. It's just not possible to develop them too much farther without making them TOO unreliable and fragile. It would be like riding an egg around. One little parking lot tipover and you need a new bike.

I think you'll continue to see the sharp focused bikes like the R6 and the new 6RR continue to develop but at a slower rate. I also think these bikes are just too focused for the mass market. Sure lots of people will buy them but they won't come back for a second one. Rather they will have learned that it's not ALL about razor edge performance at redline but rather a balance of comfort and road manners along with performance. Or they will keep the racer rack as a second Saturday afternoon only or track bike.

One of the best ever street bikes is probably the old YZF600R. A fairing that lets you sport tour in comfort and aggresive enough ergos for some fun canyon days but comfy enough for the stop light shuffle. And, this is funny coming from a liter bike owner, "enough" power for the street and regular highways. I did a test ride on one and loved it. Light handling, and superb brakes along with a super comfy cockpit. I've also ridden the ZX-6R that many say the same things about. But to tell you the truth the Yami just felt better for the real world limits that we all must deal with. (there is a point here, just wait for it..... :D ) I think we are going to see the sport bike market diverge on two different paths much like Kawasaki has done this year and Yami did for a transition period with the R6. There's going to continue to be the sharply focused racing racks but the sport touring end of things is going to move up in stature. Bikes like the YZF600R and the Honda VFR and the new ZZR1200 are the signposts to the future in that niche. Note I'm not including the new FJR1300 because although it looks sport bik'ish it's really a touring bike. It's just too heavy and softly set up to be a fun canyon carver.

Well that's it for me. Good thread topic. I actually had to think about this one for a few days....... :thumbup

#7 ·
I think you've hit the proverbial nail on the head Tee Tee.

What I'd like to see is more options offered on each bike by the manufacturer. The FZ1 is on the right track but add a easily removable lower fairing which I think an aftermarket company is all ready offering. BMW has been offering options for a long time, like heated hand grips, windshields, bags etc.

I also like what Triumph has done by offering the same basic engine with some tweaks on different models. Make lots of the parts interchangeable so the dealers can keep stuff like alternators, seals etc in stock.

This is one that I don't think will happen. A dual sport bike that weighs less than 300lbs, twin cylinder so you can actually pass some motorhomes without fearing for your life, like on a thumper.
Removeable bags and maybe a high/low range first and second gear. GS's and Tigers are way to heavy to do any off road exploring and the new KTM is in the same league.

How about some naked bikes that come in a Sport version? The standard bike would have the usual Japanese suspension etc. The sport could have Ohlins forks and shock with Brembo brakes, Marchessni wheels, some carbon fibre and titianium sprinkled on it. Maybe hotter cams or a different map for the FI.

Speaking of FI. I just learned recently that when you buy a Triumph and say you do some mods like a pipe and air filter, the dealer, for free will download a new map at the shop to set up the FI. I recently took out a 900Sprint RS and that bike is nice. The best FI I've sampled, the engine is smooth like a 4 but still retains it's character and it just wails as the revs come up. It has it's faults, I think the suspension could be better, it just feels too soft, but that's after riding my RC so it could just be me. Sprint RS for $11000 is a very good deal. I wouldn't bother with any of the 600s if you want a bike that can do it all and has some torque. I'm seriously thinking of trading in the RC for a Triumph next spring. 2 year warranty to boot.

#8 ·
Bravo Bruce! Very well said, and I agree completely.

As mentioned already, I think a divergence is definately in the works...let's have a dedicated race-rack, and a GOOD/CURRENT street going equivelent. R6 and 600R doesn't cut it...it would be nice to have an R6 in the line-up (with soem track-going goodies) and an updated 600R as well. I think what Kawasaki is doingis great...but the 636 and 6RR are still equivelent in egros. It would be better to have the 636 retain the ergonomics of the current 6R, but still get all the good bits of the new version.

Motards are a efinate emerging trend...and I think we are also gonna see more middle-weight naked bikes that have the performance of their 600SS counterparts.

Nothing really new to say...but I do think that bikes will continue to get more and more powerful, although the weight-savings we've been seeing with every new model will probably level off at some sort of equilibrium. Ten years ago everyone was saying that bikes couldn't get any faster than the ZX-11...and that was true for about 6-7 years, but look where we are now.

#9 ·
I dunno know about motards. A bit narrowly focused I think. Still would like one though:D

At least with a sportbike you can go and do some overnight rides and holiday trips. I don't see motards taking off in the country where distances from A to B are greater. I think they're more a city trend.

No one's mentioned cruisers. I like the Yamaha Warrior's looks and the idea of some R1 brakes, USD forks etc. I even hear it handles well and has some good ground clearance for a cruiser.

I'd like to take one for a spin just to see how much you can lean the thing over. I'd also like to take one for a trip and see what kind of a touring bike it would be.

G
#10 ·
TeeTee said:
<snip> The baby boomers that are mainly buying these bikes may be older but we aren't as soft as the marketing departments think we are. We've been spoiled by the handling and power of the sportbikes and we want all of that in our new geriatric rides, by cracky.

We want a sportbike guts but with upright sport toury ergos. HEY YOU MAKERS OUT THERE...... LISTEN UP!!!!!

<snip>

One of the best ever street bikes is probably the old YZF600R. A fairing that lets you sport tour in comfort and aggresive enough ergos for some fun canyon days but comfy enough for the stop light shuffle. And, this is funny coming from a liter bike owner, "enough" power for the street and regular highways. I did a test ride on one and loved it. Light handling, and superb brakes along with a super comfy cockpit.
Exactly why I bought mine! Ergos are especially nice during those longer commutes or long rides. More than sporty enough to get you into trouble.

<snip> I think we are going to see the sport bike market diverge on two different paths much like Kawasaki has done this year and Yami did for a transition period with the R6. There's going to continue to be the sharply focused racing racks but the sport touring end of things is going to move up in stature. Bikes like the YZF600R and the Honda VFR and the new ZZR1200 are the signposts to the future in that niche.
I think that is the smart way for the manufacturer's to go - Yamaha doesn't need to spend anything on the YZF600R in R&D and yet sells enough to keep them and the buying public happy. Spend the money on the R6 to keep the racers and performance hounds happy. Kawi keeps the ZX6-E for the same reason. In the event that they decide to update anything on the older bikes, they can mod anything they have developed for the "race" line and save on R&D cost.

#11 · (Edited)
Limited Edition - What's a JDM?

And IMHO, I am pretty bored with what's on the slate for Sportbikes, I don't like the angular designs of some. I really have become a fan of Streetfighters, but then again I am a custom junky and am always looking to differentiate myself in some way. I only wish there was a shop in town that had like a Package #1, Package #2, package #3 for late 80's/early 90's Gixxers for example. I think it would go over well, but thats all in my dream shop I hope to open one day.

I am consistently surprised that the Kawi ZRX1100/1200 never really took off. I rode one and figured it was about a s perfect an all-rounder as you could get and a bargain to boot.

#13 ·
Regarding Tee Tee's comemnts about the type of naked bike he would like to see, check out the article in the Nov. (I think) issue of Motorcyclist on the new KM 950 Duke. It sounds like it's exactly what you're looking for. I'd really like to check one out. Too bad they're over a year away from being available to the public.

G
#14 ·
My questionably sane thoughts.

Cruisers will become faster and all around superior. I'm guessing they'll probably peak out at around 80 horsepower for the non-power cruisers. Chassis and braking etc will keep increasing. I don't think that Aluminium frames will become the norm. They are too expensive for the benefit, and as frames are already overbuilt, switching to steel won't make that big of weight difference.

Streetbikes will get sportier but they will never catch up to real street fighters (Sportbikes with superbike bars variety of fighters.) They are already like this. Besides which, manufacterers do not want us to be able to buy that cutting edge of sportbike technology on anything but a sportbike.
Mikey said for instance that the Z1000 has 115 HP? I'm betting that they will stay about the same ammount below their sportbike competition.

Supermotos will keep becoming popular, but I suspect that they will lose their hard edge, and gain things like comfier seats, and better engines before they become mainstream.

G
#16 ·
I believe the major factories will at some point {re}turn to forced induction, at least on their non race rep performance models.

By going "boost", they'll be able to extract big streetable power out of insurance friendly 600-750cc packages without resorting to unobtainium parts, costly technical wizardry and painfully high redlines. I believe turbo/supercharger and electronics engine control technologies are at the point where the disadvantages seen in the past can be avoided or minimized.

G
#17 · (Edited)
i agree with most of the comments already made.

i think fi will be used on everthing except maybe hd's in the near future, cannondale uses fi on their supermoto's so in a couple years (after the death of the 2 stroke) we could see fi as the norm in all classes.

i also think scooters will gain in popularity. as gas prices remain high, and traffic gets more and more congested, i think people will start trying alternative means. scooters work in other crowded areas such as india and a lot of the asian cities, and they are appealing for really cheap transportation for the urban commuter.

#18 ·
Harleys are using FI on some of their models now. Talked to a guy with one. 30,000 miles on it (he was an American). He owned the same model before but with carbs. Said it made a big difference, bike runs smoother which in turn prolongs engine life.

It's one of the touring models..FLHCI ? ....FDGERTSHTERS..?????

Can never remember their model numbers/letters:rolleyes

#21 ·
Shredded said:
What do you guys think the trends are in the world of sportbikes currently?

Just looking for some opinions.

Thanks guys.

:)
by the year 2005 almost every rider will own a Kawasaki by the year 2006 you will see a big change in the general population , people will start wearing green more often , by the year 2010 all cars will be green , in 2015 everybody will have green hair , people will start painting their houses green , by the year 2022 they will stop saying that earth is a beautiful blue planet and they will say " earth , this beautiful green planet "

that's the trend I see coming but then again, it's just my opinion :thumbup

G
#22 ·
Re: Re: Trends in the world of sportbikes...

nutcracker said:
by the year 2005 almost every rider will own a Kawasaki by the year 2006 you will see a big change in the general population , people will start wearing green more often , by the year 2010 all cars will be green , in 2015 everybody will have green hair , people will start painting their houses green , by the year 2022 they will stop saying that earth is a beautiful blue planet and they will say " earth , this beautiful green planet "

that's the trend I see coming but then again, it's just my opinion :thumbup
:laughing

I don't know about that.
I think I'll stick with saying that the world is a beautiful "yamaha" blue planet. :p

#23 ·
street sport ( FZ1, Z1000, ZR-7S )
sport touring ( FJR1300, ST1100 )

Ya, I love my FZ1 ( Yamaha )...

A lot of people don't realize what the FZ1 is. It's got over 140hp, R1 brakes and I'm comfortable for 400km non-stop. Unless I was on the track, I don't think I would ever own an R6 or R1. I do plan to do more touring, so I'm liking the FJR1300.

Mine is great for around town with a tank bag, and solo I can do a trip. Put full bags on the FJR1300 with a hitch and you can carry more than a Wing with more power and better braking for 60% of the price.

;D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.