Honda VF 500 Interceptor

Thread: Honda VF 500 Interceptor

Registered User Array
    Vfr750 Bmw r1150r kawasaki klr 650 Magna v45 750

Honda VF 500 Interceptor

Took a test ride on a 1984 Vf 500 Honda Interceptor. The bike seemed to run well and would make a cheap fun to ride commuter bike. The starter switch needs fixing or replacing and the bike seems to have all the standard issues with older high mileage bikes.....The bike seems to be leaking a bit of oil where the dipstick is normally because a makeshift nut/ bolt was used to replace the standard dipstick, Anyways big problems occurred when I brought the bike home after I purchased it. I noticed what looked like a bit of rust near the bottom of the gas tank . It appeared that the tank was also re-painted in that same area. While I was in the process of scraping a bit of the rust away with my fingernail, I must have scraped what looked to be some sort of bondo material ( I hope this is making sense ) end result I exposed a pinhole crack in the gas tank and for the next hour was catching a small but constant flow of gas into a container. I paid next to nothing for the bike ( $ 700 ) and I know I'm an idiot for not checking it out, but I rode the bike twice for an extended time and everything seemed to be working well. . Is the small hole re-pairable, so it is safe to ride and doesn't cost me a lot. I would like to keep the bike. I also contacted the seller, who knew nothing about the repair....young kid who needed the money from the sale of the bike. I told him I put a stop on the cheque and we would have to work something out. I just wnated to buy a cheap commuter bike to play around with....maybe in hindsight not a great idea. Sorry for the long post ....any suggestions

2. Remove Advertisements

Registered Abuser Array rubberhead's Avatar
    blue VFR
    If there's rust, then it will have to be removed which makes it more difficult. I guess you can remove the tank, grind the rust away, patch it with whatever material is resistant to gas, then paint it. You should probably post in the "Bike Tech & Mods" section.

The thing about old bikes wth high mileage is that when they need repairs, they cost just as much as if it was a new bike. Frankly, while there are many old bikes worth buying, but some I wouldn't take for free because by the time the "little things" get fixed, you end up with an old bike that isn't worth the repair costs.

You're within the law to cancel the deal for whatever reason within a "cooling off period" which I believe is 24 hours. Could be longer, but i'm not sure.
    I have two Hondas. Can I breed them?

You can always remove the tank and use a tank liner to repair it. Two companies come to mind, Por-15 and Kreem, both work the same way but I like the Por-15 better, pretty easy to do but costs around $100.

Fast Pack Slow Guy Array Tattoodles's Avatar
    Lynn Valley represent WHAT?
    A privileged sufferer settling for an Italian motorcycle
    VF500's have inherently bad cams. You may want to check that out next time you take it in for service. Not that cams have anything to do with rusty gas tanks.

I wouldn't be surprised if you could find a scrapped gas tank at a wrecker for next to nothing. Save you time and money over bondo and paint.

Registered User Array Commuter Boy's Avatar
    Suzuki Bandit
    +1 on the replacement tank. Liners always come apart after a few years anyway, causing no end of grief.

Street:SV1000S Race:Ninja 250R, CBR600 F3, DRZ125
    VF500's have inherently bad cams.
    I think the majority of the problems were with the 750's. fyi: I didn't have a problem with my vf500 until I dropped a valve and killed the motor.
    the vf500's can be a fun first bike, expect maintenance to be a bit more of a pain. Carb work is harder to do than a inline, expect to pay more for a valve lash, and unless the suspension has been worked on lately it'll be pretty bagged; the air suspension that honda used in those days didn't last too long.
    Last edited by Jaybo; 07-23-2006 at 11:32 AM.
    Some people are like Slinkies ...
    Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TwinBrosRacing <-click
    WMRC & PCMRC #19
    WMRC President

West Koots, I'm here.... Array flyfishinwoman's Avatar
    "the Koots"
    a few toys
    I had a rusty tank on my old bike, and it couldn't just be sealed over with the pour-in stuff. I took my tank to "Leakers" tank repair in aldergrove, where it was sandblasted, braized, and sealed from inside with a clear plastic coating. It's fixed my tank, and I won't have to worry about leakage for a long time.

If that's all that's wrong with the bike, then you're lucky. I bought my old bike for a bit less, but it needed a bunch of repairs, which I performed myself but still cost a few hundred for parts.
    Back in BC, yay!!!
    2010 Yamaha Vstar 950
    250 Saga Dual-sport
    AC quad
    BCSB #712
    WMRC #747 (2005)

lower mainland
    wr250 --tzr 250 --yzf 600
    Being that you only paid $700 for the bike the cheapest way to fix it is to go to the automotive parts store and pick up a yellow ten dollar tube of SealAll. It is fuel resistant and I have used it on automotive tanks and it work great, just make sure you follow the instuctions and also leave the fuelcap off so no pressure builds up and puts air bubbles into the repair. Keeping the repair area level during the drying time also helps. This is the cheaepest way to fix it but not the best way . Repairing it at a tank repair place or creaming the inside of the tank with a sealer would be a better and safer repair.

Registered User Array Jester666's Avatar
    1966 Honda Dream305 1976 Honda CB550
    you put a stop payment on a $700 bike because you failed to find rust on the gas tank???

jeees man! how cheap is cheap enough??

if everything else works ok, just patch the tank with fresh coat of bondo or something and off you go.
    or else get a used tank, as suggested above.

holly crap! $700!
    you could propably chop it and sell the parts for double that!

If someone is selling a bike for cheap, there is usually a reason for that, and you should be fully aware of that when you buy it.
    Give the kid his money and get yourself a used tank.
    Last edited by Jester666; 07-23-2006 at 05:06 PM.

05 Monster S2R
    i think finding a used tank in good order shouldnt be too hard... But geeze man pay the guy the money...