BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

First bike: needs work, some questions.

1K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  TeeTee 
#1 ·
All right, I just got my first motorcycle, took it to be inspected at a local shop (won't say which one, so don't ask).
*If anyone who works there realizes who I am, I just want to say I'm not posting here to undercut you or go behind your backs, just that I felt I took enough of your time today*. Mods, if this belongs in bike tech, please move it.

Result was:

- I need new front & rear sprockets,
- new chain (which I have),
- battery,
- the front end is out of alignment,
- the steering stem bearings are too tight
- it could use an oil change
- could use a general service (valve adjustment, cable lube/replacement etc ? )

All told, they quoted me about $500, with tax. It sounds like all the stuff they'll do will make it good as new.

Does this sound like a decent price? Is it a little high? Is there any of it I could do myself to bring it down? I asked the shop, and they said they could try to find cheaper sprockets. I could do the oil change and battery change myself, but that really wouldn't save me much time or $$$, would it?

Thanks all.

See less See more
#7 ·
the oil change and bat would maybe save you around 25-35 bucks tops! It's shit like the valve adj. and headset that put a dent in the ol pocket book. But provided they do it right that is a fair price for what you are getting done!

#12 ·
Boondock Saint said:
All right, I just got my first motorcycle, took it to be inspected at a local shop (won't say which one, so don't ask).
*If anyone who works there realizes who I am, I just want to say I'm not posting here to undercut you or go behind your backs, just that I felt I took enough of your time today*. Mods, if this belongs in bike tech, please move it.

Result was:

- battery,
- could use a general service (valve adjustment, cable lube/replacement etc ? )

All told, they quoted me about $500, with tax. It sounds like all the stuff they'll do will make it good as new.

Does this sound like a decent price? Is it a little high? Is there any of it I could do myself to bring it down? I asked the shop, and they said they could try to find cheaper sprockets. I could do the oil change and battery change myself, but that really wouldn't save me much time or $$$, would it?

Thanks all.
If I was you...

I would have the shop do these:
- could use a general service (valve adjustmet, carb adjustments bla bla bla..)

and Do these Myself:

- battery,
- Sparkplugs and wires myself :D

When the off season comes, im doin all my own work.. the farings are completely coming off and im gonna learn my bike well :D

and PS: Buy/find/download your shop manual for your bike

#13 ·
Not Enough Time said:
Obviously you are trying to undercut someone... It seems most agree that the quoted price was fair as well...

Well, who wouldn't want to spend as little as possible? I guess more what I meant was that I wanted to compare a few places and see if that was accurate info/costs. If there's not much variation, then I'll go with the shop that checked it over.

I always work on my own stuff wherever possible, and don't like taking things in. Since this is my first bike, however, I'd like to make sure that the work on something so important is done so that I know it will be done safely and properly.

Crass Tengu said:
Don't think you're going to get much cheaper in the van area.

If you really want to scrape and save an extra few $ just do some of the work yourself like the oil & battery.

Yep, doing the oil & battery myself is a given. I thought I could do the sprocket/service etc. myself, but I don't have the tools or the space.

#14 ·
Boondock Saint said:
Well, who wouldn't want to spend as little as possible?
Well... I, for one, wouldn't...

Your first post indicated that the company you took the bike to spent quite a bit of time with you... So I (personally) would be inclined to go with that company if the workmanship is up-to-snuff.

Further, you are riding on two wheels vs four wheels and small issues can become big issues FAST. Spending as little as possible is not really the best idea IMHO.

Doing "your own stuff" is one of the better ways to ensure the quality of the work... As long as you know what you are doing.

#15 ·
Go read the sticky about buying an older first bike. Some of the items in there may apply.

At a minimum I'd have them look over the brake systems, flush the system with new fluid and generally check the operation of the master and calipers for proper operation and smooth action. Brakes are not optional after all.

#16 ·
Not Enough Time said:
...So I (personally) would be inclined to go with that company if the workmanship is up-to-snuff.

Further, you are riding on two wheels vs four wheels and small issues can become big issues FAST. Spending as little as possible is not really the best idea IMHO.

Doing "your own stuff" is one of the better ways to ensure the quality of the work... As long as you know what you are doing.
We're on the same page with all of this stuff...I don't mean that I'm cheaping out on repairs, exactly because I'm wary of your second point. I'm a student, so $$$ is a concern. I know that some may say "if you dont have the money to do it properly/safely, don't do it". That's not the case with me, I'm just trying to be conservative.

I would do it myself if I had the tools, space, & knowledge, but at this point I don't trust myself with something so important.

TeeTee said:
Go read the sticky about buying an older first bike. Some of the items in there may apply.

At a minimum I'd have them look over the brake systems, flush the system with new fluid and generally check the operation of the master and calipers for proper operation and smooth action. Brakes are not optional after all.
The brake system is rather...simple on this bike (they're cable drums). There IS no system to flush, and there are no calipers. The bike is a TW200, and from all reviews I've read, it hasn't been a problem for people. However, maybe they DID have problems, and aren't around to talk about it? :jk. Nothing came up about them in the inspection I had done.

I will go off and read that thread though, thanks.

#17 ·
OK, you win :D Cables don't need much. But take the time to get the gizmo and lube them. Hmmmmm.... does that mean I win afterall? :D

A TW is pretty simple. Sounds like you've got the deal wired. Enjoy it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.