Should U.S. go to war?

View Poll Results: Should the U.S. go to war?

Voters
97. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, they have a right to make a pre-emptive strike against a possible future bio/chem/nuclear war

43 44.33%
  • No, regardless of proof or not, it only proves what the other side of the world thinks of American's, that they are incredibly arrogant.

54 55.67%
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Should U.S. go to war?

Registered User Array
    Bike
    pinto

Should U.S. go to war?

express your mind

Bike
    I wish.
    I really think they should. The reality is that they are doing the right thing - they're just being a little arregant about it. The reality is that you have bombs and weapons being moved all over the place right now in the middle east; just as they're about to send in weapons inspectors? That's garbage. Get in, get rid of the threat, and get out. Sure you could say it's not they're business, but this world holds no place for terrorists.
    BCSB- Administrator

Registered User Array
    Bike
    pinto
    True, however, who said Iraqi's were terrorists? They most certainly have some sort of limited involvement in sponsoring terrorists, but nothing on the magnitude that existed in Afghanistan.

And what to do with all the other nuclear powers?
    Pakistan, India, China, Korea (take your pick), Russia?

Let me pose a question to you, what do you think would have happened if the U.S. waged war on each of these countries as they were in the early stages of obtaining nuclear capability?

Perhaps the U.S. can and should strike against Iraq, however remember the only reason they started the Gulf War was over oil.

Not some patriotic notion of homeland security, nor defense of all that is Good rhetoric. Just oil.

The U.S. didn't march on Baghdad to finish them off b/c Saddam made it clear he would use anything/everything he had against them if they did.
    By the same token, (was it Thatcher in power at that time?) Thatcher had "instructed them to go tactical nuclear" if Saddam used any of his bio/chem/nuc weapons.

It appears now, that Bush's main mission is to complete his father's legacy. In the words from the first Bush, "I HATE Saddam Hussein".

These terrorist threats that have come of late? They have nothing to do with Iraq. Surprisingly enough, the reality is most of them are middle-class yemeni's or Afgans.
    Last edited by factory_pilot; 10-08-2002 at 12:07 PM.

Bike
    I wish.
    While I partially agree with you. Having read the amount that I have of Tom Clancey novels, and having been dis-illusioned by the media -- I refuse to believe 100% why anything happens. You say the gulf war was over oil? Perhaps, but if the US truely did want Sadam dead, they would've done it along time ago. The war was political I have no doubt. The other fact I didn't realize until recently was that we actually don't use much if any of the oil taken from those countries, as most of it is taken from North America. The middle-east holds a 'hot spot' of oil no doubt, but it is still just a fraction of what the rest of the world holds.

I agree that Bush's mission seems to complete his fathers legacy, however the fact remains that Iraq and the surrounding areas are very unstable and would be a breeding ground for Terrorism.
    BCSB- Administrator

Registered User Array
    Bike
    pinto
    true, I picked up the info from the 'oil' statement from a some articles Time ran. It's been awhile now since I read them, wish I could find it to dig out some facts to present.

I agree 100% on what you said about media, the views presented *are* biased. There are very few sources out there that are unbiased.

> however the fact remains that Iraq and the surrounding areas >are very unstable and would be a breeding ground for Terrorism.

True, however breeding grounds exist anywhere and everywhere. Following that line of reasoning, the U.S. would have to wage war on quite a few number of countries around the world in order to 'eradicate terrorism'

Superstar
    do it. war is good, it stimulates economies and puts the fear of god back in mankind. and after the wtc thing, you gotta watch out for the next big disaster. one way to do this is to beat them down now, but do a good job, leave nothing but rubble and memories. anything less than that will provoke a response.

builder of bikes Array cosworth's Avatar
    Bike
    bah
    Do it on the down low. Send the Terminator or Bond in there. Hell, flood Iraq with Hello Kitty merchandise and cheap gold coloured cars.

mikey
    All great empires have fallen and the US won't be the exception to the rule. Not that I don't disagree with much of what's been said already, but going on the assumption that Iraq will "do something" is not reason enough for the actions the US is undertaking. To me that action would only serve to consolidate hatred of the US (like there's not enough already!) in the middle east and ANYONE can fly planes into buildings. It's like Bush is chasing shadows. They really don't seem to have any idea how to diffuse the numerous potential threats, so they go after an obvious one that just happens to have great oil reserves. This topic is on every message board these days and you hear lots of interesting takes on it. I'd like to hear some more informed opinions.

Bike
    I wish.
    Originally posted by cosworth
    Do it on the down low. Send the Terminator or Bond in there. Hell, flood Iraq with Hello Kitty merchandise and cheap gold coloured cars.
    Like I said, this is somethign they could have easily done. You don't think they have an elite team of super dudes that could've gone in and taken out Sadam ? Like it was stated, war is political and is a show of force. OR maybe they wanted some live training excerises.. who knows. It's all so retarded that anyone would want to kill anyone else for the way they live their life.
    BCSB- Administrator

Bike
    bah
    In the grand scheme of things...

"Posse Comitatus"

http://www.uscg.mil/hq/g-cp/comrel/f...Comitatus.html

Bike
    bah
    "Posse Comitatus" means “the power of the county,” reflecting the inherent power of the old West county sheriff to call upon a posse of able-bodied men to supplement law enforcement assets and thereby maintain the peace.

Wanderer of the Wastes Array DNAspark99's Avatar
    Bike
    MONSTEROSITY
    I think you know where I side, I'll see you all in the stone age!
    "I dread beyond all else the growth of the petty tyranny of restrictive legislation, the transference of disciplinary authority from the judiciary to the constabulary, the abandonment of every constitutional safeguard of individual liberty."

nervous
    Adam u said yes for the wrong reasons. How many other countries have bombs?How many of them hate the U.S.? Well the fact is that we need a war to get the economy going and now is a good time. In other hands there are countries and regimes that hate the west because of our consumer attitudes. We are consumers we use things and throw them away when were done with them.Thus we are part of the demise of other countries because we use our currencies to buy products at cheaper prices so that we can have more. I t is always about more for us including more power or a newer bike. I guess i'm guilty for that and so are many of us, but the reality is we need war to get the economy going and the U.S. knows this. Should we go to war yes, we should not just to kill other regimes that are against us and our way of life but for our own survival. Doggy dog world.."Hey i'm bigger than u so what u going to do, didn't know he had a 22."

nervous
    By the way haven't u noticed that the U.S. only gets involved with third world countries with little tech and no weapons of mass destruction. I wonder why?They don't want to substain mass casualties and they also choose the most profitable wars. They certainly don't get involved when they can't make any money out of another country they are protecting. The people behind the wras are the world banks and world trading organizations. They have no rules and governments bow to them....Anyone remember seattle..........

Bike
    bah
    It is a comon misconception today that war starts an economy. There would be boosted "comsumer confiedence" if a war ENDED. It is the END of war the boosts the economy in this day and age. We are not looking at rationing sugar or aluminum for a world war. Small tactical wars like the middle east demands will not stimulate and economy.

Scared shitless sheep who freak out about spending money cause the demise of economies. When these sheep feel the wolf has gone they spend. We do not NEED war. War kills people remember?

What if you were the night janitor at some Middle Eastern military/intelligence office and you get bombed at 4 am to minimize casualties?

Terrorism is evil. So are some of the things that America and Israel does. Once the world shrink enough that a neighbour really is a neighbour will we learn to tame our religious differences.

Religion and the people who cry out in the name of it cause the world's turmoil.