TDi owners step forward?
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: TDi owners step forward?

User. Abuser. Array Backinthascene's Avatar
    Bike
    07 R1

Question TDi owners step forward?

I am lookin at gettng a new car. Ive established that a TDi is the best all around vehicle for what I am going to use it for. HOWEVER, I have heard horror story upon horror story about the VW's since they started making them in mexico. Consumerguide rates the 2000-2004 VW jetta and golf as one of the consistantly worst vehicles on the road for reliability but they don't really specify anything about diesels. Noone else makes a diesel car except for smartcars (which are fugly beyond words). I can't find any concrete evidence on specifically the TDIs being crappy or visa versa.

I was wondering those of you who own jetta or golf TDi's ...

what year do you own? and what issues have you had? were they covered by warranty? Im thinking 02-04.

Bike
    Street:SV1000S Race:Ninja 250R, CBR600 F3, DRZ125
    um I don't own a tdi, but I do have a good friend with one. Beware of windows that go down and don't come back up..(in fact they smash sometimes.) thats a fairly common VW problem. As well look for a TDI that's not been "lady" driven. There's a problem with the intake or something and if it hasn't been driven HARD there's an excessive amount of carbon buildup..so bad the car loses tons of power.. fairly big job to fix too, when buddy got his car back he was amazed at how much power the car actually had! apparently this problem is well known, the mechanics he dealt with were aware of this, and said that some are fixed under an "unofficial recall" type deal..
    Last edited by Jaybo; 08-09-2006 at 04:48 PM.
    Some people are like Slinkies ...
    Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TwinBrosRacing <-click
    WMRC & PCMRC #19
    WMRC President

Bike
    I wish.
    Re: Window problem.. not a big deal.. VW knows about it (and it sucks if it happens to you) , but they'll also replace the window regulator.

TDI's have a ridiculous amount of power and can even be tuned to have a lot more. (for what they are anyways).

They do get a bad rap for having bad electronics.. but I think the fuel economy out weighs that... does for me anyways.

I don't have a TDI, but would seriously consider it for a replacement to my SUV gas guzzler.
    BCSB- Administrator

Bike
    K5 GSX-R600
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo
    Beware of windows that go down and don't come back up..(in fact they smash sometimes.) thats a fairly common VW problem.
    This problem has been fixed, for more than 3-4 years now. If luck has it you end up with one that hasn't had it fixed, it will be covered by VW, even if the car is out of warranty.

TDis are solid engines. Should you have any problems, they will most likely be electrical, rather than mechanical. I've never personally owned a TDi, but a close friend has a Passat, and couldn't be more pleased with it.
    • He who dares not offend, cannot be honest.
    • The whole religious complexion of the modern world is due to the absence from Jerusalem of a lunatic asylum.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    ??
    The Golf's and Jetta's are made in both Brazil and Mexico. Try to get the one from Brazil as they have a bit more power when put on the dyno. I learned this about 2 years ago and not sure if the case is the same today.

Bike
    07 R1
    Quote Originally Posted by adamantium
    Re: Window problem.. not a big deal.. VW knows about it (and it sucks if it happens to you) , but they'll also replace the window regulator.

TDI's have a ridiculous amount of power and can even be tuned to have a lot more. (for what they are anyways).

They do get a bad rap for having bad electronics.. but I think the fuel economy out weighs that... does for me anyways.

I don't have a TDI, but would seriously consider it for a replacement to my SUV gas guzzler.
    Yeh im thinking I am going to buy one because of the low end torque, and fuel ecnomony that is amazing for those levels of low end torque is unmatched by any other car. So far so good guys, window problems which appear to be solved. electrical problems plague them as well which is a lot worse than mechanical problems I find you end up paying a LOT of diagnosis time on eletrical problems as opposed to mechanical... any TDi owners out there wanna give some input??

New chain...Soo smooth... Array Black Sunshine's Avatar
    Bike
    R1
    TDi = wise investment.
    Yah, you'll pay more, but it'll make up for it if you keep it for awhile.

Get as 'new' of a model as you can afford. Diesel engines/injection systems are going through dramatic changes in design, and there have been some hiccups along the way.

PROS:
    TDi mileage = excellent.

TDi power = pretty decent stock, and can easily be modified for more, with KEEPING the decent mileage.

TDi longevity = excellent as long as you do regular maintenance.

Decent resale value - yeah, it'll depreciate, but not as fast as a gasser.

Get a standard transmission if you are so inclined - less hassles.

CONS:
    Kinda stinky & noisy.

If something actually does break, (engine related) it can get pretty $$$ very quickly. Diesel pumps/injection systems are complex, and generally need scan-tools and qualified technicians to make proper repairs.

The window issue and such is not a big deal, lots of cars have finicky window tracks/motors that cause some headaches.

My 2 cents.
    Tune-up Tip: If you can't fix it with a hammer, then you must have an electrical problem.

Bike
    07 R1
    Yeh it would defenantly be standard transmission, no questions about that.

Stinky, Noisy ...newer ones are not as bad as older and im not too worried about that.

Does anyone know if VW subcontracts out somone to make their diesel engines or anything crazy like that? I know a lot of engine companies get other companies to make parts and such, just wondering if there is another company I can reasearch to make sure Im making the right decision buying a VW TDi...Its hard to really research these cars when sooo many different critics give VW a terrible name, and Ive know lots of people with NIGHTMARE VW stories...problem is, I can't trace down any that are diesel related :shrugs:

Richmond (If you don't like it here, allow me to point you to the nearest exit. :))
    Bike
    1000K9
    Quote Originally Posted by adamantium
    Hmmm. My boss owns one. He says he carries a full set of bulbs in his car. Never know when he needs to replace one or more. I believe the car is 5 or 6 years old. He's lost count on how many times **every** bulb has been replaced.

New chain...Soo smooth... Array Black Sunshine's Avatar
    Bike
    R1
    Does anyone know if VW subcontracts out somone to make their diesel engines or anything crazy like that?
    Well, The VW injection system is designed and developed by Bosch. The VW engine/transmission is manufactured by VW in Germany to my knowledge.

I know what you are getting at, for example: The GM Duramax diesel is manufactured by Isuzu heavy duty.

VW is a pretty smart company, and has had MANY years of experience building diesels in Europe. North America is getting the 'trickle-down' technology over here (finally...) as they make progress, and the demand increases.
    Tune-up Tip: If you can't fix it with a hammer, then you must have an electrical problem.

Bike
    Tard.
    go to tdiclub.com.

Some people have tuned their cars to the range of 300 ft-lbs and 160 hp, while improving mileage!

There are some easy mods/ecu changes around the carbon build up in the car.

Black Sunshine pretty much hit the nail on the head.

Bike
    '05 YZF600R
    Go to www.vwvortex.com for all the questions be answered...

Bike
    07 R1
    yeh you know what im talking about, good to know they make their own engine and trannies...thanks for info...

bulbs galore eh truelies, well thats nothing major. minor crap like that I can handle, afterall right now im driving an eagle talon and i can't even count the number of stupid little things that are wrong with it, nothing major just minor crap.

thanks shervin, good site!!

Bike
    K5 GSX-R600
    Don't know if it makes any difference to you, but TDi is actually an Audi design.
    • He who dares not offend, cannot be honest.
    • The whole religious complexion of the modern world is due to the absence from Jerusalem of a lunatic asylum.

Bike
    07 R1
    naw not much difference, VW/Audi is certainly not my first choice in car companies, however the fact that I can't get a turbo diesel car any other way sort of limits my options. =o