Painting/Spray painting/Stencil/Pin Stripping bike...

Thread: Painting/Spray painting/Stencil/Pin Stripping bike...

Bike
    2001 ZX6R

Painting/Spray painting/Stencil/Pin Stripping bike...

Hi folks, need some advice, suggestions...

I was planing on getting my damaged left and right side fairings painted professionally in stock colors.

but have now thought that since I am planing to get them painted anyway, I would get my girlfriend to have a go at doing some artistic work, she's good at drawing, on the bike.

Was wondering what the easiest way would be.

Was thinking of taping a desgin onto the bike, then spray paint the panel, remove the tape work then spray paint a few clear cloats, anyone ever try something like this ?

her exams end on the 18th and basically is looking for a project till Sept.
    2001 ZX6R
    WMRC #32 Amateur

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

contradiction incarnate Array slam's Avatar
    Bike
    TBA
    take a picture... let her play around with ideas in photoshop or some other photo-manipulation software,
    then take it to get it done by a professional like Borderline, etc.
    nobody gets out alive

Bike
    zxsr1rr,05 cbr 600rr,harley roadglide
    cheap spray paint wont work if your gonna clear it, it will cause a reaction and a big mess,if you want some custom airbrushing or handstriping let me know

FAROH
    ditto on the spray paint ,thats a no no ..better to have her draw it out and send it off to an airbrush artist to hook it up ,youl have the same effect and it will be done properly ,wont be cheap .PM "lowlife" he has a wicked airbrush guy

or if you want a project ,buy a cheap airbrush gun ( KMS tools ,,a pasche is good and about 100 buks ) and some proper auto paint and then have a shop clear it ,,, but a freindly warning ,,,if you cant airbrush properly or even close to decent it will look one dimentional at best and look half ass ,,,,but its worth a shot ,maybe she'll get really good at it one day .

i dont airbrush ,its something you have to be very good at ,,the thing with airbrushing is your either as good as it gets or its sucky ,,like 10 of the best can do the same portrait at a pro level and its basically the same between them .but an average airbrusher always looks average .

Bike
    zxsr1rr,05 cbr 600rr,harley roadglide
    my airbrush work isnt cheap but if price is no object you wont be dissapointed, as for one day i dont think your girl can do it, takes years of practice, unless she is some kinda prodigy? beeing an artist is only one part of airbrushing, knowing your products and applications takes time
    Last edited by kit05; 08-13-2006 at 09:56 AM.

Bike
    2004 CRF450
    Bah! It's only paint. Let her go nuts.

I didn't see anywhere where you asking about airbrushing (which is admittedly tough), so if you're just going for big solid areas and stripes then go for it. Don't mix spray and pro clear though. If you're using spray bombs then spray bomb a clear over top, and don't try and mix it with a professional type clear designed for for a base clear combo. Expect to get a ton of orange peel from spray bombs.

One question to keep in mind though. If you don't like it and she does, will she be really upset if you paint over it?

Bike
    2001 ZX6R
    thanks for your responses folks, after reading your posts, she wants nothing to do with it...apparently I am nuts for suggesting it...lol

Any recommendations where I can get the left and right side fairings painted in stock lime green ?

I also have a 2001 WSS championship sticker package, thought to get some placed on before the clear coat ?

Money is definitely an object....
    2001 ZX6R
    WMRC #32 Amateur

Registered User Array jason_kawi's Avatar
    Bike
    2005 kawasaki zx6r
    if your just going to do stock color then why not do it yourself ( learn )incase u drop it again then u can fix it yourself , i did my bike for the first time painting anything it turned out ok , i am re-painting it again in about 2 months as i was told what i did wrong, paint cost me only $300 for the holl bike $150 spray gun as for the compressor i had one u could always ask someone for theres or rent one
    Last edited by jason_kawi; 08-13-2006 at 04:10 PM.

FAROH
    call imperial in burnaby ask for leedem 's contact info ,he does nice factory matched panels all the time