best route direction

Thread: best route direction

Bike
    2004 Suzuki SV 650

best route direction

This will be year # 2 for what I call "the numb-bum"/ "dumb-ass" ride. basically consisted of a solo 1 day 800ish km and 12 1/2 hrs total. Last year was the first year and weather was so good and ride was fantastic I have to do it again, but I am not sure if there are any hwy constructions that will damper my route or if I should reverse direction for traffic reasons.
    Here was my route:
    5:30am Hwy #1 to Hope: gas
    Hwy #3 stop in Hope Slide and Mannning for views and pics, ride to Princeton: gas.
    (Manning @ 7:30am is friggin' cold even in August - this year bringing the electric vest!)
    Hwy #5A/97C to back side of Merritt: gas
    Hwy #8 to Spences Bridge
    11:30am Hwy #1 to Cache Creek: for lunch / gas
    Hwy #99 Marble Canyon, Pavillion Lakes, Lillooet: stop, gas
    " " Duffy Lake road-Pemberton(last year this part really sucked as I was getting hot,tired and following motorhomes on the last 1/3rd of the way to Mt Currie & not much if any room to safely pass)
    Hwy #99 to Whistler: gas, stop
    Hwy #1 Upper Levels: Finally home. 6:30pm
    Not much in the way of traffic until heading to Mt Currie and a little on the #1due to an accident.
    Let me know what you think.
    ps I also did this ride on a friday not a weekend so I know that played a part in less traffic.
    ps: I have not yet set a date or times yet but if anyone is interested let me know. pace was moderate to fast.
    Les

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    2006 FIREBLADE 1000

Thumbs up Route!!!!

Myself and My Rideing Partners did this Route Weekend Before Last , We Left the North Shore at 6:00 Am , Hardley any Traffic up to Pemberton .
    ( this was on a SATURDAY ) Duffy ???? Same As allway's Good Spot's and Rough Spots.
    The Road through Marble Canyon From LILLOETTE is Fantastic the last 3/4 of the road is all new Pavement all the way to hwy 97 north of Cache Creek.
    Lot's of Road construction Between Merritt and the ASPEN GROVE turn off to Princeton, Also there is A lot of PAVEING going on From Aspen Grove to Princeton. Princeton to Hope is a Good Ride. 820 Km's Back to the Ridge and it took 12 Hour's.

Registered User Array cyclestarter's Avatar
    Bike
    Blue Sport Tourer
    Consider a route through Hope, to Princeton to Osoyoos. Into the states through Oroville WA., Omak and back west along the Cascades to Belingham and on to the lower mainland.
    i haven't done this route yet, but I've met too many people that rave about the Cascades, its view and the rime line for riding is almost right!!

good luck....
    ~
    I love the sound of an idling bike early in the morning

Bike
    2007 FJR
    I intend to do that exact ride this coming weekend, and hopefully at least one more time after that. If you go this weekend I just might join you, though I'm more moderate than fast.
    With an early start, traffic on this route is usually light until you hit Whistler.

Registered Abuser Array rubberhead's Avatar
    Bike
    blue VFR
    I did 1,600 kms this past Friday and Saturday. Rode the Crowsnest (hwy 3) to Creston (near Nelson). I love that highway! Excellent pavement, easy to pass, twisties, scenic, just loved it. Go past Manning and you'll see what I mean.

Saturday I left Creston and went north on highway 3A to Kootney Bay (twisty!). Took the ferry to Balfour then north on Hwy 31 to Kaslo (twisty!), then west on 31A (a jewel of a road! Possibly the best in BC, and yes, twisty!!) to New Denver. Then Hwy 6 west to Fauquier (twisty!) and took the ferry to Needles. Continued along hwy 6 to Vernon, down into Kelowna then back into Vancouver. Traffic was light for the entire trip and passing was a breeze.

You're in BC. You're likely to find a great route wherever you go, especially if you like twisties. Just ride and enjoy yourself!

P.S. I won't post pics because they're big and I don't want to ruin the thread's window.
    I have two Hondas. Can I breed them?

Registered Abuser Array rubberhead's Avatar
    Bike
    blue VFR
    P.P.S. My butt, wrists, and back were absolutely fine during and after the ride. I wore cycling shorts underneath my pants and stopped every hour or two for just a few minutes to get the blood circulating. Amazing what that little rest will do. I also wrapped an elastic band between the grip and cluster bracket to reduce the weight of spring back and I used a well placed throttle rocker to reduce the amount of grip needed. I could've gone across the continent like this and arrived a happy man.
    I have two Hondas. Can I breed them?

Age + wisdom = slower Array Rx7man's Avatar
    Bike
    Dirt bikes now, '84 XR500, '07 KTM 450 XC-W (soon)
    the new paved stretch between lillooet and cache creek is AWESOME, I did it on the long weekend, and I was doing 180 that entire way, except I went up the hat creek valley (gravel) after that

On a bigger (heavier) bike, the duffey isn't as bad as on a 600 I think yeha, it has rough spots, but many places you can take up the whole road to find a smooth spot visibility permitting
    do NOT do as I do, i decline all responsability for the consequenses of people attempting to do what I have done.. especially if even I don't do it anymore

Tony: Look! she's wearing kneepads!