My freind will buy this bike, help me ask him why...

View Poll Results: should my freind buy the TLR 1000 as his first bike

123. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, he's a grown man and displacement won't matter as long as he's careful

27 21.95%
  • No, thats too much bike for a first time rider and I don't need my insurance rates to go up

96 78.05%
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: My freind will buy this bike, help me ask him why...

Burnaby / New West
    2002 Suzuki SV650S

UPDATED: My freind will buy this bike, help me ask him why...

My freind who is currently taking his riders course through BC Safety Council
    is planning on buying a 99 TLR 1000. the purchase will go through tomorrow...

I have some worries as to what displacement he should be buying as this will be his first bike. As a freind I would prefer he goes with something a little smaller till he gets the full understanding of countersteering effects, proper tire pressure for different road conditions, weight distribution with regards to setting up your shocks, setting your bike up for your personal riding style and height etc etc etc.

He stands about 5'9 and weighs about 150lbs. Again he is currently in a motorcycle course, he's not done for another couple of weeks.

I'm looking for your feedback here, I may be over-reacting but some honest opinions with theory and experience behind those opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
    Last edited by Darrick; 08-15-2006 at 01:27 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

In your bitch
    Your mama...(late model)
    If you value your friends life you will set that bike on fire as soon as he brings it home.
    “……If a chick sits on your face and you can't hear the stereo anymore...she's too fat! --The Machinist.

Big Stick
    I know riders that have started out on a litre bike and all but one of them managed not to wipe out on it. I personaly think that there isnt any need for a litre bike as a starter but thats just me. If ur buddy is a responsible guy and REALY RESPECTS the bike then he should be ok, i mean hes getting the basics from the riding course. Lets hope that he can handle the bike.

myside.yourside.myside Array bluenote's Avatar
    sold :/
    It's always (IMHO) better to learn on something smaller.

Having said that, if one of my friends came up to me and waved a printout under my nose, trying to use other people's opinions (computer geeks, no less) to tell me what to do I might be inclined to offer my opinion a la a punch in the mouth.

And just to play devil's advocate for a moment: Darrick -- hardly anyone here rides a litre bike ... if you want your study here to be scientific that should be disclosed to your buddy.

you can get a litre bike but your learning curve will be much longer.. learning how to ride on a smaller bike would be much more beneficial to him. He wouldn't be able to use all of the liter bike's goods anyway, hez not even done his course yet... can he even ride a 250 as of right now?

Out to pasture in the 'Wack
    04 Kawi Z1000,
    There's a thread around here someplace where the size of a first bike is discussed. By far the majority that started with a liter sized bike all related that they would have learned more and learned faster with a 600 or even less. I think it may be in the new rider questions area.

But in the end your buddy is going to get what he wants. If he's not willing to listen to you why would he listen to us?
    A backyard mechanic without a service manual is just like a hooker without a lamp pole.... they are both in the dark.

If he buys the Litre bike, Break his leg.

He'll thank you later
    In the end, this argument falls into the vanity arena. Which is more important: Your safety and comfort on a bike or what your friends think?

The Boston Terror Array Casey Anderson's Avatar
    2007 SV650
    does he know those bikes are wheelie machines

Im in the same shoes as you buddy weight and height, Im takin a course next month. Theres no way Id want or think about gettin on anything larger than 600.

license to chill Array frontside5's Avatar
    R6, F4 stunter
    Don't worry, he'll change his mind about a minute after seeing his bill for new plastics. I wish him luck though.

Registered User Array Good old Pete's Avatar
    2010 Z1000
    The stock Tiller is difficult to ride at fast speeds over challening roads.
    It is unforgiving if you mess up a corner
    It is heavy so it eats tires and gas

New riders need all the help they can get and the tiller is not a good first bike.
    When speeding run from the cops, it's a lesser infraction.

racing ostrich
    when you are a beginner you want a bike that is not razer sharp but dull and forgiving.

you want a bike that is going to give you lots of warning that you are reaching it's or your edge of control (more likely your's).

any mid 90s and up sport bike is just too razer sharp. you reach it's or your edge of control and you won't even know it untill you are down. then it is too late, and if you are in a right hand corner you are sliding into oncoming traffic.

you have to ask your friend what his goal in riding is....

1) is it to become the best rider he can ??? then tell him to get a 250 and learn to ride the tires off of it. then a 600 and then a litre bike. you don't see beginner racers start in moto gp do you???

2) is it to just look cool and to be able to say he rides a litre bike. then wish him all the best and just pray when he goes down he does not take you with him and that he walks away from it.

he is a man and can make his own choices and will have to live with the results.

Registered Abuser Array rubberhead's Avatar
    blue VFR
    A liter bike is fine in the hands of a responsible rider especially if he can't afford to take gradual steps up. A tiller though, I hope he can handle the torque. Like someone already mentioned, those things are wheelie machines straight off the line!
    I have two Hondas. Can I breed them?

Ride the winds of change Array scooter's Avatar
    Adventure and Sport
    The SV650 which you own, would be a far better choice for a first bike.

The TLR is a Blunt Instrument and unruley to ride.

Tell him to snap the throtle and dump the clutch and he will change his mind quickly at the choice he has made.

Langley, BC
    None right now...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bondo
    If he buys the Litre bike, Break his leg.
    If he buys the Litre bike, he'll do it on his own. Hopefully that's all he breaks.

I suppose we should ask, how old is this guy? Is he mature enough to keep his throttle hand in check? If so, then he may be okay on the bigger bike. But I would still recommend against it. He'll be spending a lot of time "riding behind the bike," when he could be spending his first few 1000km learning to master a smaller bike instead.
    My Picasa Album