Usefulness of a small air tank/ compressor?

Thread: Usefulness of a small air tank/ compressor?

:) you'll live longer Array rockshoxbiker's Avatar

Usefulness of a small air tank/ compressor?

What use would a small 3 gallon compressor be good for aside from inflating tires and blow cleaning things like carb needles and other small stuff like that?

100psi max, 1.0scfm @40psi, 0.6scfm @90psi.

Could this thing be used to sand blast clean parts too?
    or maybe run a nailer?

It goes on sale for $60 on Friday

2. Remove Advertisements

Registered User Array christose's Avatar
    port moody
    05 zx6r
    1cfm is piss all for air i wouldnt bother bother with anything other than air for tires

Beer League Racer/Asshole Array SnoDragon's Avatar
    New West
    I agree. Minimum you want to run pneumatic tools is 6cfm @ 90psi. That compressor is good for nothing other than tires and maybe an air mattress.
    WMRC #42
    MSpeed Performance
    Motorcycle World
    RMR Suspensions

~If you can't change your situation, change your attitude. If you can't change your attitude, change your situation~

this is my...boomstick! Array CrotchetyRocket's Avatar
    click, click
    I use a little "air mattress" compressor as part of my backcountry 4X4 preparedness kit. It contains tire plugs, a bottle jack, a couple crowbars and this little comp. with this kit I can go as far as fully demounting a tire by the side of the road, if I have to. The comp will fill a truck tire in about 10 minutes so, time enough for a beer after all the hard work.

It won't pop the bead back on a tire though, you need high pressure/high volume air for that. I keep a little can of propane around for that. Using a torch tip, fill the tire with propane to a suitably flammable mixture and chuck a match in, from a safe distance. A very exciting blast follows, like a barbecue lit that has had the taps open too long and, bingo, tire is popped on the bead. The blaze inside self-extinguishes due to lack of oxygen.

Registered User Array SpideRider's Avatar
    Fraser Valley
    I bought the exact same compressor. It's a steal of a deal for $60, and will do fine for tires and other general inflation things. I primarily use that compressor for my modelling airbrush, and it works like a hot damn.
    Carefully follow the break-in procedures.
    Cry in the dojo, laugh on the battlefield
    Sparring speed is a matter of simple physics:
    The height of your flight is inversely proportionate to the mass of your ass.

Out to pasture in the 'Wack
    04 Kawi Z1000,
    Useless for any air tools other than maybe very intermittent use of something like an air nailer. Anything rotary requires far more CFM at higher pressure.
    A backyard mechanic without a service manual is just like a hooker without a lamp pole.... they are both in the dark.