Ever heard of a kit like this?

Thread: Ever heard of a kit like this?

Bike
    2001 Honda f4i

Ever heard of a kit like this?

Ever heard of a kit that you drill a hole into your swingarm to put the spools on? I thought I heard about this somewhere but not sure. I know I could weld the brackets onto the swingarm but if it is possible to do it the other way I might prefer it. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    Big and slow
    Why not just get a paddle stand?
    Flowbie- Mellowing with age...

Stolen from Atom:
    Being a road crayon sucks....put your gear between you and the pavement.

Newbie Poser Squid Array bafflebrain's Avatar
    Bike
    bad, m'kay?
    Here you go, $7 per set from Pit Bull products:

http://www.pit-bull.com/catalog/prod...e3a70179a16dd4
    "It's not my fault your slow!"

Bike
    RC
    That's it, called a Riv-nut and used in aircraft fab a lot. I'd go with the paddle style stand myself though. If you're looking to have them as sliders then there are also ones that fit on the rear axle.
    Quote Originally Posted by bafflebrain
    Here you go, $7 per set from Pit Bull products:

http://www.pit-bull.com/catalog/prod...e3a70179a16dd4

Bike
    04 Kawi Z1000,
    I would not suggest drilling your swingarm. And welding is far too much trouble. Just get the paddle style stand and be done with it.
    A backyard mechanic without a service manual is just like a hooker without a lamp pole.... they are both in the dark.

analog
    Quote Originally Posted by TeeTee
    I would not suggest drilling your swingarm. And welding is far too much trouble. Just get the paddle style stand and be done with it.
    yea, i'd never drill any holes into something like that, it would weaken it, and thats the last thing you want to do. even if its weakened by a little bit, its still weakened.

WMRC Past Prez three time Array NFG's Avatar
    Bike
    Yamaha RD350LC Race Bike (Sold!)/ Yamaha XS1100 /YSR 50 Street and Race / Two 50cc Pocket Bikes / Honda Z50/ Yamaha BWS 50 (Sold!) /Yamaha MX100/ Yamaha YZ250/ Husqvarna 430 / a few projects in parts....
    I thought they were called trick-nuts. We have them down in our shop at work and I've used them a few times. I've seen them come loose and spin. I wouldn't use them in aluminium myself. As you tighten them they expand and as aluminium is soft(ish) it may expand the swingarm and not fit as well as it should. Better to drill and tap I would think.

I would go with the paddle stands as well. Less chance of wrecking your swingarm.
    Stefan Medlicott
    NFG Racing

"I guarantee that it will start, and I guarantee that it
    will blow up. I cannot guarantee the time between those two events."

"....those who go for broke often get there...."

"Buy in Haste, Repent at Leisure."

Bike
    2001 Honda f4i
    Cool, thanks for the info. I have been looking for the swingarm stand but small town doesnt have anything here, not even a bike dealer for sportbikes. Wasnt big on both ideas of either drilling or welding but just wanted to get all the info. Thanks all.

Bike
    2004 CRF450
    If your town has a dealer of any sort I know a distributor who has paddle stands in stock at a reasonable price. PM me and I'll get you the details and part number so you can order it through your local guy.

Bike
    04 Kawi Z1000,
    A small strip of anti skid tape applied to the lower side of the swing arms will really help prevent the bike sliding on the paddle type stands. That's the stuff that feels like medium coarse sandpaper that is normally applied to stairs. The bathtub/shower stuff is not that good since it needs to be fine enough to not sand away your feet... :

The problem with drilling and tapping a standard swingarm is that the sidewall metal is not that thick. And with so little support the spools will most likely just bend away the threads due to the large bending loads. And then you have a hole that is all ripped up in your swingarm that you can't even use and that'll be tough to repair.

So basically if your swingarm does not have the proper threaded hardpoints then just forget about any fancy and questionable mods and get the paddle stand.

OvertheTop Racing in Kelowna makes them and ships by bus. He's a member here on the site known as BF. Contact him for a price either by email through his website or via a PM..... http://www.overthetop.ca/products.htm
    Last edited by TeeTee; 08-20-2006 at 07:37 PM.
    A backyard mechanic without a service manual is just like a hooker without a lamp pole.... they are both in the dark.

Bike
    06' gsxr 1000 race
    My first race bike was an 01 f4i and it had the back drilled out for spools. Never had a problem with it. Fell off a few times and they were still mint. Paddles suck especially for track days when your lid and gear are still on and you're trying to fumble around with the paddle stands. A recipe for disaster. Not to mention the damage done without the spools. BTW the guy who did the drilling was a pro racer and bike mechanic (by trade).

Bike
    N/A
    My machinist welded threaded inserts to my swing arm for spools cost me 85 bucks, well worth it....