1987 Yamaha FZR 750 as first bike

Thread: 1987 Yamaha FZR 750 as first bike

Vlad I.

1987 Yamaha FZR 750 as first bike

Hello guys,

I am looking for some input on whether the above bike could be considered as the first one for a mature person with no unmanageable need for speed and some limited experience of operating a light scooter.

I mean I realize the limitations of a new rider, and after reading the treads here I was looking to get a classic "beginner bike". But then a coworker offered me his old Yamaha FZR for rather small amount of money in pretty much perfect condition for the age. Hard to pass on this offer....

How does FZR 750 look as "the first bike"?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements

In your bitch
    Your mama...(late model)
    go for it.....just give it respect as you get used to it. Coz those babies can still pack a punch! i would still say take a course though.....
    “……If a chick sits on your face and you can't hear the stereo anymore...she's too fat! --The Machinist.

Registered User Array Not Enough Time's Avatar
    ZZR250 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Vlad I.
    How does FZR 750 look as "the first bike"?
    The bike is about 500lbs and generates over 100hp - so it looks like it can give you a bit of a kick. Things to watch:

1. It's heavy, so if it tips too much from one-side to the other it will take you with it. Dropping the bike means bending or breaking something.

2. The hp to weight ratio is not bad - so it can go pretty good. Watch your speed in the early stages.

3. Reviews on this bike are pretty good.

I probably wouldn't pass-up the deal either. Normally I would not recommend this bike for "learning to ride" but this bike will teach you a LOT more because of its age. It will require some ongoing maintenance. Get a technical manual for the bike (well-worth the money) and do the checks yourself if you are mechanically inclined. It may be a "project" but it is kind-of fun.

Out to pasture in the 'Wack
    04 Kawi Z1000,
    Keep the RPM's down to the lower 1/2 of the range at first. It'll still wake you up in a helluva hurry even then but the upper half of the range is where the Devil will rise up from the gastank and bitch slap you a good'un.

And yeah, take a course. The scooter didn't prepare you for what you're getting into much at all.
    A backyard mechanic without a service manual is just like a hooker without a lamp pole.... they are both in the dark.

i just bought a fz! sweet bike. i am a brand new rider and im little, but i find it good. they are heavy, im still scared im going to drop it in a parking lot or something.

i really took it easy my first few rides. i was so scared on my way home that first time

The 'Wack
    SV track, VFR road
    The first bike I put any mileage on was a 1990 VFR750. I didn't wad it up--or even drop it--in over 100,000km. Everything turned out OK, but if I could do it all over again, I'd have started on something a little smaller.
    "When in doubt accelerate.
    It may not help you avoid the problem,
    but it'll end the suspense."

WMRC #96 (retired)