Lithium Batteries

Thread: Lithium Batteries

I'm a she-male. Array integra298's Avatar
    Scooty Puff Junior.

Question Lithium Batteries

So i wonder if there is a general concensus on this or if telus is just trying to make me kill my battery so i'll buy more from them. TELUS told me when i bought my phone "You should use the battery til it's dead the first couple of times, that will make your battery remember how much capacity it has" While my friend said they are idiots and lithiums should just be charged up all the time whenever you can. So whatever is truth should apply to all my electronics ... digicam, cell phone, digicam ... Cos ... my cell phone is now about 1yr, and it goes low battery at the end of the day. My digicam can only take a few hours worth before going low battery (much less than my previous camera). What do you think?

Here's a really nerdy article for you smart people. i know you're out there.

PS. What holds charge on an ipod?
    Last edited by integra298; 08-24-2006 at 01:20 AM.

Hello? Anyone still out there? d:

In your bitch
    Your mama...(late model)
    telus is right....because it is a different bat...your ipod is a lith...I plug my nano in whenev, but I let my smartphone run right down before recharging....and it still gets days (like 3 days) of charge after a year.....
    “……If a chick sits on your face and you can't hear the stereo anymore...she's too fat! --The Machinist.

Langley, BC
    None right now...
    Li-ion batteries will last longest if you keep them topped up at every opportunity. If I recall correctly, the same is true for Ni-MH. Best to check what the battery technology is before deciding, it'll be printed on the battery somewhere.

Only Ni-Cd batteries will last longest if you run them all the way dead before recharging them. But they're crap to start with, so never buy anything that uses Ni-Cd batteries.
    My Picasa Album

Usually with new batteries, no matter what kind, I run them all the way down and then fully charge. I'll do that a couple of times, and then after that just always keep them topped up. I read an article about that a while back, I'll see if I can find it...

Everything I have is lithium now anyways...

Registered User Array kamen rider's Avatar
    Area 604
    What SHOULD You Do?
    Let your cell phone battery run down very low -- not fully discharged, but almost -- every single time. Doing so will extend the life of your battery another full year... or more!

A lithium-ion battery in use should last between 2-3 years.

Tips For Prolonging The Life Of Your Battery

A new Lithium-ion battery will benefit from an initial "conditioning" of the battery. For the first 3 charge cycles, fully charge the battery overnight and allow it to fully discharge before recharging.

Avoid frequent full discharges because this puts additional strain on the battery. Several partial discharges with frequent recharges are better for lithium-ion than one deep one. Recharging a partially charged lithium-ion does not cause harm because there is no memory. (In this respect, lithium-ion differs from nickel-based batteries.)

To achieve a true full charge when rapid charging, the battery needs to be slow charged the last 10-15% of its charge cycle.

Batteries with a fuel gauge (laptops) should be calibrated by applying a deliberate full discharge once every 30 charges. Running the pack down in the equipment does this. If ignored, the fuel gauge will become increasingly less accurate and in some cases cut off the device prematurely.

Lithium-ion batteries require a charger specifically designed to charge Lithium batteries.

Short battery life in a laptop is mainly caused by heat rather than charge/discharge patterns.

Keep the lithium-ion battery cool. Avoid a hot car. For prolonged storage, keep the battery at a 40% charge level.

Consider removing the battery from a laptop when running on fixed power. (Some laptop manufacturers are concerned about dust and moisture accumulating inside the battery casing.)

Avoid purchasing spare lithium-ion batteries for later use. Observe manufacturing dates. Do not buy old stock, even if sold at clearance prices.

If you have a spare lithium-ion battery, use one to the fullest and keep the other cool by placing it in the refrigerator. Do not freeze the battery. For best results, store the battery at 40% state-of-charge.

A Lithium-ion battery may be damaged by extensive overcharging (continuously on a charger for more than 24 hours).