Looking to buy a pda phone - suggestions?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Looking to buy a pda phone - suggestions?

Bike
    Big and slow

Looking to buy a pda phone - suggestions?

Well I'm looking to buy a pda phone. More school, work, dammit I need to be more organized.

I'm with Telus and I'd like to stay with them. I'll probably just buy the phone outright so I can change plans as I like. Problem with pda phones is they want to lock you into a data plan which is not cheap whatsoever. Wifi capability would be a plus as well.

I like the UTStarcom 6700
    http://www.telusmobility.com/bc/pcs/...com_6700.shtml
    Windows Mobile5. Seems like a good phone with Wifi.

Motorola Moto Q
    http://www.telusmobility.com/bc/pcs/...torola_q.shtml
    Windows again but wider than the 6700

Palm Treo 650
    http://www.telusmobility.com/bc/pcs/...treo_650.shtml
    Palm I've had before but I don't think it has Wifi.

I don't know. I'm looking for suggestions. May look for one used but would like new. Anyone on here a Telus dealer?

State your opinion and discuss please.
    Flowbie- Mellowing with age...

Stolen from Atom:
    Being a road crayon sucks....put your gear between you and the pavement.

Bike
    2007 GSX-R750
    A friend of mine has the Palm Treo 650. Its ok. My fingers are too big for the small keyboard though, I find it really hard to use. Palms can be buggy as well, the OS is quite unstable from what I've heard. The Moto Q is nice. Do some searches online for reviews.
    "Nitrous is like a hot girl with STD’s… You know you want to hit it, but you’re afraid of the consequences"

2007 Suzuki GSX-R 750
    2014 BMW X5 xDrive 35d M Sport
    2007 Audi A4 S-Line

Bike
    The Motorola is the best of the lot there. Size will become a big issue for you. I have the Audio Vox 6600. It's great but it's huge to carry around on a belt clip.

Worst. Passenger. Ever. Array ace`'s Avatar
    Bike
    Blue
    Went from a Blackberry to the Treo 650 and I dont like it at all. UI is much too complicated compared to the BB and there doesnt seem to be that much more functionality. Keyboard feels small as noted above and the unit has already hard locked on me during the first week of usage

Bike
    89 Katana 600
    Love my treo 650. The keyboard takes getting used to, but is totally usable once you've had it for a bit. There are new models out now with, shutter, windows. Think there is another model out now too running the palm OS. Mine has been extremely stable and I have no complaints yet. the MotoQ looks pretty sweet, but $$.

Bike
    CBR600F4i SOLD!
    I like the UT Starcom. But you really have to use it with a wireless bluetooth earpiece (with good noise cancelling technology) as it's a little bulky holding it up your ear and noise cancelling on the phone isn't good which makes it REALLY difficult for ppl to hear you. I also am on a data plan with them and use the internet and email a lot and the WIFI option is handy when u can use it. The ability to use the stylus or swing out keyboard is great and the phone is packed with usable features. I also found the screen to be a good size and a lot nicer to read then the other phones.

I've used the other phones as well and I didn't enjoy the blackberry as it didn't have the features i use. The palm was nice but the keyboard was small and reduced the screen size - but it's still a nice phone.
    My Photo Gallery!

R.I.P. Danimal

Bike
    2007 GSX-R750
    For basic push-type e-mail and calendars, you can't beat a Blackberry. It all depends on what you're looking for out of your phone/PDA.
    "Nitrous is like a hot girl with STD’s… You know you want to hit it, but you’re afraid of the consequences"

2007 Suzuki GSX-R 750
    2014 BMW X5 xDrive 35d M Sport
    2007 Audi A4 S-Line

Bike
    750, 600, 400
    I have an iPaq which is bloody useless as a phone. We also have UTStracom's, they are much improved over the iPaq's. I haven't used them all that much but overall impressions of them are positive. I know the screen sucked in direct sunlight
    Last edited by Scheme; 08-31-2006 at 12:05 PM.

Bike
    Big and slow
    Some excellent point. Thanks everyone. Anyone else have some suggestions? I'm not too sure I'm going to like the size of all these phones but currently I have a Razr that I find nearly impossible to tuck on my shoulder. I think I'm getting old and my neck just doesn't want to bend that far anymore.

I think I'm leaning towards the Ut 6700. It just seems not quite as wide as a
    Blackberry.

Stolen from Atom:

doug
    the moto q does not have wifi.

why can't the damn manufacturers just make a phone with everything i need in it? wifi, sip, pda, mike. i could care less about a camera.

Bike
    K3.1K
    I had a Treo for awhile.. it was TERRIBLE. not only did i hate having to lug it around everywhere, but my cheek and ear would constantly push the hangup button on the screen in the middle of calls.

VERY annoying.

Bike
    bike
    don't underestimate the value of being able to put your phone in your pocket. My BB became a curse after a while because I always had this damn thing strapped to my hip and stabbing me in the side when I sat in the car. Once I went back to a normal flip style phone it was like a breath of fresh air.
    Too sexy for this forum.

thundergod
    I have a treo and have only a few complaints...1st she crashes at least once a day..2nd she cannot send or receive picture messages..3rd it has a nice camera but, it is impossible to download the pics to the computer..

Bike
    Big and slow
    Quote Originally Posted by thundergod
    I have a treo and have only a few complaints...1st she crashes at least once a day..2nd she cannot send or receive picture messages..3rd it has a nice camera but, it is impossible to download the pics to the computer..
    so obviously these aren't deal breakers for you then? Or would you switch right now if you could?

Stolen from Atom:

Registered User Array SpideRider's Avatar
    Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by doug
    i could care less about a camera.
    Thank God someone else thinks so too. I was starting to think I was the only dude left on the planet who couldn't give a flying fuck whether my cell phone has a fucking camera on it.
    Give me a better OS and better organizer instead.
    Cry in the dojo, laugh on the battlefield
    -----
    Sparring speed is a matter of simple physics:
    The height of your flight is inversely proportionate to the mass of your ass.