Credit Card Theft
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Credit Card Theft

Bike
    2013 Ninja 1000

Credit Card Theft

Somehow, some poverty stricken looser thief with no life got hold of my Mastercard number and used it for small amounts here and there (who uses their Mastercard for $2.50??) the company recongized there was suspicious activity and cancelled the card and I am not responsible for the charges. I still had the card they just had the number. I think this all started in Oliver during Sportbike West.
    Was reading the posts and noticed something similar happened to the BCSB trip up to Vernon this past weekend.
    Guess these poverty stricken looser theives have decided us sportbike people are a good target. SInce we gas up so many times and I don't always grab my receipt or watch the store clerk when they have my card and I tend to give my card to the waitress as she walks away with it and returns 15 minutes later.

Just a heads up people, be careful out there with the plastics!
    We who choose to surround ourselves with lives even more temporary than our own, live within a fragile circle, easily and often breached. Unable to accept its awful gaps, we still would live no other way.

Bike
    2006 GSXR 750
    both my visa and mastercard were frozen on the vernon trip. I called and had no unauthorized charges but they're pretty worried about things especially this weekend. I saw at least one gas station that had pre-pay during the day because they've been hit with gas and runs.

When it comes to plastic, use it in the pump or else pay cash.
    "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."

-Mark Twain

Hello BCSB!

Registered User Array Commuter Boy's Avatar
    Bike
    Suzuki Bandit
    Theives run things like $2.50 to make sure the card's still active, then they slam a larger purchase on it.

Sounds like you got lucky. I would highly advise to keep checking your credit reports every few months to look for anything "odd", and call Equifax and TransCanada Credit and ask them to put a fraud alert on your account. That way if the douchebag has enough of your personal info to set up a new account you'll get a call first.

Registered User Array Silent Scream's Avatar
    Bike
    EX500 - SOLD
    NEVER use your credit card inside a gas station. Pay at the pump is fine, but I know 3 people who have gotten phone calls about suspicious activity on their cards after using it at a gas station.

The Shell on 152nd & 20th in WR is one of the locations you need to watch out for.
    In the whole wide world, there's no magic place... so you might as well rise. Put on your bravest face.

Bike
    I know a girl that went up to SBW and her card was just cancelled for the same reason last weekend.
    They said something to the effect of that the card was used at a known to be compromised establishment and they had to cancel it.

Bring on the sun Array Bandit_Ryder's Avatar
    Bike
    Yes
    I'm glad I'm not poor and have to run off credit to afford gas and food.

Cash only.
    R.I.P. Danimal

Bike
    yes because only poor people use credit cards.
    Did you buy your house with cash?

ssblade
    Quote Originally Posted by Bandit_Ryder View Post

Cash only.

while you're waiting your turn for the pimple faced gas jockey to take your cash everyone else is 10 kms down the road.

Bike
    n/a
    This happened to me a few years ago...someone racked up over $5k on my card, and the credit card company needed me to sign an affadavit to swear that I didn't use the card for the purchases. I never lost my card, and the purchases were made back east around Christmas time. The kicker was the credit card company wanted me to pay the interest charges on the $5k until the issue was resolved....I refused and they conceded, thankfully.

I now check my card statement online as often as possible to ensure there are no questionable charges. I agree it is a good idea to register with Equifax and other companies to prevent fraudulent use of your identity, it can happen easier than you think.

Happy Camper Array BlackScorpion's Avatar
    Purgasurrey Sportbike: GSX-R750, 2001 F4i, 2002 RM-9, 2003 Derbi SuperMoto Xtreme Posts:1,000,016!!
    Bike
    GSX-R750, 2001 F4i, 2002 RM-9 Posts:1,000,012!!
    It's happened to me twice already. Make sure you check your bills EVERY MONTH. Visa told me that they will only cover your fake charges if you report it to them within one billing cycle. If the charges are more than 45 days old, they're yours to pay.

Both times it happened to me, I still had my card. Someone swiped my numbers and made a dupe of my card. The weird part was that someone was running around in Surrey (where I live) running up huge tabs at Boston Pizza and some freakin' nail salon. Who spends $200 at a nail salon? You can't cut your nails yourself?

What pissed me off is that Visa wouldn't tell me who was the crook or what establishment ripped off my card numbers. If someone's running around using my name, I think I should have a right to know. Nope. Not in this provice. Criminals always have more rights than victims.
    Team Troll
    "Happy New Ear!" - Mike Tyson.

thundergod

Cash only.
    What gas station takes your foodstamps??

Registered Sex Offender Array
    Bike
    2006 suzuki gsxr 600

Cash only.
    Yeah... all you people who use your credit cards regularely to better your credit are idiots

damn broken leg!!!!!!! Array gixxer_76's Avatar
    Bike
    2007 KX250 Ripper!!!!

Cash only.
    Well I certainly have a new HERO. FFAAGG-etabout-it
    Just like a twig, your leg will snap if you smash it into a wall with a 400 Lb bike @ 100+ Km/h. So just don't do it!

http://www.saveonwheelrepair.com

Bike
    2013 Ninja 1000

Cash only.
    Uhhh...are you kidding me? It's called building credit, collecting airmiles and paying your balance every month.
    We who choose to surround ourselves with lives even more temporary than our own, live within a fragile circle, easily and often breached. Unable to accept its awful gaps, we still would live no other way.

That new bike smell Array mondocycle's Avatar
    Bike
    Multi
    When I was on a road trip in the cage down in Long Beach CA my credit card was declined. Security with Visa noticed different buying patterns in a different country and suspected fraud. Visa confirmed my identity at the motel via some of my confidential info. When back in Van I wrote the Visa chick a thankyou "attagirl" letter for her work file. I was really impressed. I wish credit cards were allways scrutinized this hard.
    Log off and ride.
    Acta Virum Probant