HJC Sy-max crash tested

Thread: HJC Sy-max crash tested

Master of Puppets Array Cometman's Avatar
    Bike
    Team Green

HJC Sy-max crash tested

Well I crash-tested my helmet today just South of Pemberton. The Sy-max is a modular helmet (flip-up chinbar) and I've been very happy with it.

I did a little off-road excursion on a hairpin today and ate some dirt. The helmet stood up reasonably well, but I have a swollen schnauze. Somehow, something made contact with my nose -- I think the chinbar must have deflected enough under the force of impact to make contact.

I guess I'll be in the market for a new helmet. As much as I like the flip-up style I think I might be looking for a regular full-face next time.

Of course the moral of the story is to stay on the bike!

Dean

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Registered User Array Miteorite's Avatar
    Bike
    g|xx3r
    Ack.
    Well at least you're mostly alright.
    When I was looking for a helmet this type was what i looked at too, but i was concerned for how well it'll fare in a crash...i guess here's the answer

how did the bike do?

Bike
    1990 kan-o-tuna
    What happened?

Haze
    Comet, did you use the helmet while riding on a street bike? I wanted to buy that same helmet for its flip-up feature, but I was told that it rattled when riding on highways and that it wouldnt protect me as a normal, full-faced helmet would.

Care to shed some light?

Bike
    Team Green
    Thanks for the concern guys.

Until now the helmet has been great. No rattling at highway speeds, although there is likely more wind noise than a regular full-face. Having never ridden with a different helmet, though, I didn't find it annoying. Ear plugs are a definite requirement on the highway.

I suppose it is understandable that the helmet would not fare as well in a crash, especially to the face (doh!). The fact that the chinbar is not integrated with the helmet must take away some of the rigidity. (Then again, if the chinbar hadn't deflected and absorbed some of the impact energy, it may have hurt my neck instead of my nose.) Surprisingly enough the visor was still sealing well after the accident. There seemed to be a little more wind noise and air in my face, but that could just be my mind playing tricks on me.

As for my next lid, I'll have to think about it. I loved the convenience of the Sy-max, as I could put it on and take it off without removing my glasses. It was also great when gassing up the bike, as you could get a little air, especially on a hot day.

For those of you who are curious: I was taking a nasty hairpin too hot (trying to keep up with some much more experienced riders) and I was going wide towards the soft shoulder. Rather than giving it some gas and leaning in more I panicked and straightened up full on the brakes. I ran off onto the dirt shoulder and dove off the bike before I rode it right in to the ditch on the side of the road. Newbie mistake. Anyway, I lost my front left signal and the fairing and windscreen are toast. Fortunately there appears to be no mechanical damage, as it rode fine for another 250k.

As for me, my nose has shrunk to normal size, and the only damage seems to be some really stiff shoulders, my right arm is a little sore, and I think I bruised my left knee. Nothing I can't hide from the wife, anyway! Can't have her getting all worked up now, can I?

Ride safe,

Dean

Jackie Chan's stuntdouble Array Motorcycle Man's Avatar
    Bike
    CBR600 F4
    Originally posted by Cometman
    Anyway, I lost my front left signal and the fairing and windscreen are toast.
    Nonsense! Your fairing was restored to full functionality with duct tape. There is no reason why that repair shouldn't last 50,000 km. If the appearance bothers you, just rearrange the tape in a more artistic fashion, with matching stripes on the right side.

Registered User Array Good old Pete's Avatar
    Bike
    2010 Z1000
    yah know I was wondering if that style would hold up or not. How much more would you say they cost in comparo to regular full face.
    When speeding run from the cops, it's a lesser infraction.

Bike
    Team Green
    Cost depends of course. The Sy-max goes for about $390 at most dealers, although I got mine online for $320 CDN, with no PST (out of Ontario), and free shipping. Good deal. A little more than you'd pay for a lower end lid, but a lot less than a top-of-the-line Arai, obviously.

Dean