BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

difficult day....saying goodbye to riding for a while

3K views 37 replies 27 participants last post by  Thumper 8 
#1 · (Edited)
a mixed bag of emotions here....Clare is going back to university to finish the PDP program, and become a teacher. this of course means that she will be outta work for more than a year, and it all falls on me and my crappy income to support us. What this means for me is I wont be able to afford the things I enjoy so much....sportbikes, dirtbikes, and my 4x4 truck. So like Micheal Jordan i have retired, but will be back when the smoke clears. I hope I can still go on group ride with all you bastids on my 2005 Trek mountain bike, but you got wait up for my pedal powered beast!:laughing

Phuck I am gonna miss riding, but the out come should be positive when all is said and done. I actually got tear in my eye as I type this (kinda pathetic eh?)but I really am gonna go through some very serius riding withdrawl, and some hefty envy when I see you all out there rollin on 2 wheels:surrender

so heres to all the fun I have with ya'll, and the fun I will have with ya'll again one day

BTW way, I will still be on this site gettin my post whore count higher, and will still be doin the Gillnetter every last Sunday of the month.

Peace
Cory

cheers:drinkbeer

Cory signing off:flip :flip :flip and one :flip for good luck

See less See more
#21 ·
..... Just make sure you show up at all the demo days at dealerships just to get your fix every so often. :)
We'll be able to recognize you as the one up front hopping from foot to foot and drooling... :D

Good for you for making the supportive sacrifice. Hopefully it all works out well and the future proves what a smart move it was.

I don't know how big your fun budget will be but if you want to look at a cheap alternative come out to Tradex on Oct 8 for the Pacific Coast Mini Road Racing event. Bring your gear and you can borrow a bike at noon to see what it's all about. It's cheap to get into and cheap to do. Cheaper than owning a street bike by far and hella fun. It may just fit in with the budget and keep you going during this phase.

For more details see www.miniracingbc.com .

#5 ·
Ummmmm......why teaching.....the moneys horrible, the hours are long, the benefits are only ok depending on distrtict. My wifes has been teaching for a few years now and um....well she's thinking of getting out of it.

Some people say they love teaching and there's a lot of joy in it but IMO you better have loads of love and joy because it could wear thin fast.

But good luck to you and your wife you could pull up a chair beside me. I'm going back to school myself in the evenings it's just another sacrifice for a better future.

#8 ·
its still gonna be difficult, as I am not that young...I'll be 30. Not saying thats is up there in age, but up there considering I havn't really gottem the rst of my life goin yet....house, family etc. the older I get, the harder it is to start over....but I love riding too much to give it up. For now I need to play the play the supportive husband, as she has been with me through thick and thin.

#10 ·
Pick up a CHEAP project bike, and work on making something personal and unique in time to insure when the missus is working again.
Very rewarding, and helps with not riding for a while.

#11 ·
:cool Hey Cory,

Kudos to you, my friend. As for 'change', ya know, the very nature of forward motion, alike riding/driving, is that sometimes things become -of necessity- fixtures confined to your rear-view mirrors. They're not out of site or in the past. They're just 'behind you' ...until it's time for them to re-appear. ;)

In the meantime, there's :flashy NO WAY :flashy anyone's gonna leave ya to the wolves [aka: the spawn-eating cager population]. :devillook Lots of us have second bikes so you'll never -ever- be without something to ride. ;) And frankly, dude, you couldn't possibly be harder on my bikes that Gurp. :D

No good-byes... just say 'hi' to Clare for me ...and we'll see ya real soon. Ya gotta take me through the backroads a few more times before the snow flies... cuz I'd be lost on my own. :(

:coffee
-Charles

#12 ·
Cory,

you are one of the most unselfish friend I know. Kudos to you for doing the right thing for your family. I expect you to keep up your "post whoring" and seeing you at the Gill every month. Like Charles said lots of us have second bikes. You are more than welcome to my CB1. Somebody needs to keep the carbs clean!!!

#15 ·
sorry to hear that you're not gonna be ridin for a while but it's all for a good cause,,too bad i never gotta chance to meet and ride with you and your filipino crew,,when you get back to ridin count me in on one of your flip crew rides k!!!..
i'll be seein you and your wife on one of those filipino restaurants...:laughing :rockon

#16 ·
Thanks you guys...and your right Charles, it'll be only time before ya'lls see me in your rearview again, and then passin ya's for the holeshot :)and it looks like I will be keepin you and Lee on my speed dial as my MA (motorcycles Annonymous) sponsers...wait till you get my 3:00 am phone call, hands trembling, feet shaking, and speaking in tongues muttering "need my twisty fix" lol

#17 ·
hey Cory, sorry to hear but on the other hand i am touched by your commitment to Clare. this is only temporary and sounds like you've got some wicked friends to keep you on two wheels now and then!

a small sacrifice for a lifelong partnership.... it's paying off already.

#18 · (Edited)
Hey Cory, it's a pretty smart decision to invest in education.

Ever notice there are two large demographics on BCSB? The group of young, unmarried ripsters who spend almost every cent they earn on motorcycling, and live with their folks. And the second group of older (okay old) guys who have raised their kids, paid off their houses, and are back into the sport for the second time. Then there's a small group (and I won't name them but they know who they are) of high income middle-agers who can afford all the toys (usually because they are unmarried and/or don't have kids sucking up their lifeblood).

Most of the older guys (me for sure) have been through what you're going through. It's tough, but you'll be back (after you've paid off the house and shelled out mucho dinero to educate your off-spring :surrender ) and it'll be even sweeter the second time around.

Good luck to you both!

#37 ·
Ever notice there are two large demographics on BCSB? The group of young, unmarried ripsters who spend almost every cent they earn on motorcycling, and live with their folks. And the second group of older (okay old) guys who have raised their kids, paid off their houses, and are back into the sport for the second time. Then there's a small group (and I won't name them but they know who they are) of high income middle-agers who can afford all the toys

Good luck to you both!
heyyy wtfok Pat, you saying Thumper 8, Silver D, myself, and a few others are old? age is a number, and besides, i'm 20 with 21 yrs exp. :rockon

#19 ·
Cory, don't worry about it, dude. Motorcycles will always be around, and occasionally life requires we step up and make sacrifices that while seemingly painful now, in the overall scheme of things, wind up being nothing more than a blip on the radar.
Good on your for supporting your wife's dreams. :thumbup

#26 ·
PS-are you selling the bike, or just putting it in storage?

unfortuntly Phil its all gotta go...the f4i, klx, and my Toyota truck. I am just trying to make arangments with the banks to let me outta the loans I have, so I can sell them. I am still gonna owe a lot even after everything is sold...but thats life. At least the little drz 125 will be kicken around...if you see a little yellow dirtbike, with an oversize rider wearing leathers, no plates, lights, riding top speed of 70km/h....it isn't me:devillook

BTW again you guys all rock!

#23 ·
You may be "putting the kickstand down" for now, but you and Clare will ALWAYS be part of our community!

Wishing all the best to both of you.....
and as Charles said -no 'goodbyes'- We'll see you and Clare at the Gilly for Sunday brunch. Soon :)

#24 ·
Hey Cory - good on ya for making a good decision that will be of great benefit to both you and Clare in the future. Don't worry about riding, bikes will always be available through friends and demo days - although, I'm pretty sure that the dealerships will frown upon too much drool on their demo bikes... :devillook

#25 ·
Hey, don't sweat the small stuff. You were one of the first ppl to welcome me to this menage, at 3 this morning... that goes straight into the karma cup. Things might seem bleak now, but... hey, could be worse, ya know?
Thanks for the welcome, bro... we're all in your corner! And the green flag is waving!!

#27 · (Edited)
Whoa, Cory...this comes as a surprise. You didn't mention anything the other night on the phone.

Well, I'm definitely going to miss riding with you. I'm sure this was a tough decision for the both of you. Congratulations to Clare for going back to school and pursuing her teaching career. I've known her for many years. I have no doubt she will be an excellent teacher. She's such as compassionate, intelligent, and caring person.

Rest assured, my friend, you will not be far from the motorcycle community. You have garnered wonderful friendships here and I know many of us would be happy to loan you a ride. Including me! (As long as you don't mind riding around with stickers saying "Filipina Islander" and "Aloha" :laughing) Who am I kidding - with your fan club from the Flip Crew, you're pretty much an honourary member :thumbup

Kudos to you for making this sacrifice, especially since I know how much you have dreamed of owning a sportbike since you were a kid. This is an example of your true character and committment to your future well-being. Not many guys would do the same.

Any time you are experiencing withdrawals, you know where to find me. I'm insured all year round and must take advantage of those zen-like fall/winter rides like last year.

All the best! And Good Luck, Clare!!!
Jess

#30 ·
You have garnered wonderful friendships here and I know many of us would be happy to loan you a ride. Including me! (As long as you don't mind riding around with stickers saying "Filipina Islander" and "Aloha" :laughing)
Does riding your bike mean I am automaticly a hot chick? just got find some drag, borrow Clare bitchen gear shirts, and I am good to go!:laughing

down but not out Jess...you know I will be back for some star gazing and asmahatic bull frogs!:flashy

#28 ·
what about the BBQ's?? your gonna be on here still and going to the Gillnetter but WHAT ABOUT THE BBQ'S!!?? do you know how hard it is to find bikerbuddy's who live staggering distance from one's house??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.