Air Filter Recommendation?

Thread: Air Filter Recommendation?

Registered Abuser Array rubberhead's Avatar
    blue VFR

Air Filter Recommendation?

Time to replace a few things on my bike and the air filter is one. The Honda OEM filter is $76, or I can get a K&N for $69. Seems like a no-brainer, but the Honda filter might be a better product (though not reusable).

If the K&N lets more air through, does that mean that it filters less? Anybody know what these two filters are like? Does it really matter?
    I have two Hondas. Can I breed them?

2. Remove Advertisements

It's a Honda!!!
    go with K&N i did with my F4i and it made a difference!!! plus you don't have to change the filter as much and it is cheaper to clean and re-oil the K&N.
    Life cannot be taught. Life can only be experienced.

"You get there when you get there!!"

Maple Ridge
    2007 GSX-R750
    I'd go with a K&N. Keep in mind that with the K&N, you will get more air flow, and to reap the benefits of that, you'll probably need to tune your bike (Power Commander). The cumputer will not be able to compensate for the additional air coming through the intakes. And NO, the K&N does not filter less, it just allows the bike to breathe better than it would through an traditional paper filter.
    "Nitrous is like a hot girl with STD’s… You know you want to hit it, but you’re afraid of the consequences"

2007 Suzuki GSX-R 750
    2014 BMW X5 xDrive 35d M Sport
    2007 Audi A4 S-Line

Red the Dog
    BMC street or race.

The 'Wack
    SV track, VFR road
    I've read a few things that suggest K&N filters don't perform quite as well as the stocker, but with the price of the Honda OEM, I'd go for something reuseable. My bike doesn't have any problems that I can blame on the air filter, and the K&N has been in there for 10yrs and ~160,000+ km.
    "When in doubt accelerate.
    It may not help you avoid the problem,
    but it'll end the suspense."

WMRC #96 (retired)

Jackie Chan's stuntdouble Array Motorcycle Man's Avatar
    CBR600 F4
    If you do enough research, you'll learn that K&N filters let through several times as much dirt as the OEM filters. That may or may not be significant, depending on how many km you will be doing, riding conditions, etc.