ICBC and track days
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ICBC and track days

No the pic is not me Array snowshark84's Avatar
    Bike
    gsxr 750

ICBC and track days

This may sound like a stupid question to you who know, but I don't so I'm gonna ask it. Does insurance cover you if you total your bike on the track? I would figure that ICBC would give up quite a fight trying not to cover it, seeing as how you are racing and not street riding.
    Next time you're having a bad day think about this... You and your brother are conjoined twins, he is gay you are not. He has a date coming over in an hour and you share one ass.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    Tard.
    nope they dont cover the bike afaik. Im pretty sure you sign a waiver or something stating that your insurance does not hold while on the track and that you do not hold the track responsible for misfortunes.

Something happen to you or are you just curious?

Bike
    SV track, VFR road
    You're in bit of a grey area here. A normal "track day"? No. If it's a performance riding course that takes place on a track? Maybe. Racing on a track? No way.

At least one member here had his bike covered after he was taken out at one of Pridmore's CLASS riding schools (no, he didn't lie about where it happened). But I think he had ING insurance through Megson-Fitzpatrick.
    "When in doubt accelerate.
    It may not help you avoid the problem,
    but it'll end the suspense."

WMRC #96 (retired)

Lightly seasoned... Array wolfnadrid's Avatar
    Bike
    Ninja 650R
    Standard ICBC insurance when you renew has a nice line on it thats states the vehicle will be used for 'normal' purposes and in situations such as racing the vehicle is unprotected... only the transit to and from would be covered, so if you bend it on the track you be hosed. Most pro/serious racers tend to get specific racing insurance packages which tend to cover personal injury and damage done BY you and the vehicle, as far as any protection for the race vehicle I'm not aware of any readily available or at least cost effective as its pretty much a given that a race car/bike will get messed somewhere along the line and insurers bet on not having to pay out settlements.

Bike
    RC-51, KX250
    Quote Originally Posted by grandshervee View Post
    nope they dont cover the bike afaik. Im pretty sure you sign a waiver or something stating that your insurance does not hold while on the track and that you do not hold the track responsible for misfortunes.

This is why I'm not too keen on hitting up a track day.

Registered Abuser Array rubberhead's Avatar
    Bike
    blue VFR
    I don't know about icbc, but my private insurance doesn't cover anything when on the track.
    I have two Hondas. Can I breed them?

Bike
    A couple of Suzukis
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkcbr View Post
    This is why I'm not too keen on hitting up a track day.
    Just buy some race-glass or previously scratched up fairings (+ consumables) for a few hundred and hit up the trackday. In all likelyhood the only damage you would suffer from a track crash would be scatched paint, and some bent levers/sliders. Compared to a street crash, it's not very likely that you'd tweak your frame or your forks or anything "important" like that...because it's not too likely you'd hit anything other than the tarmac/gravel on the track, compared to hitting anything and everything on the street. Of course, this is assuming you're at a reasonably safe track. Then you can re-sell those plastics and get most (if not all) of your money back once you're finished with trackriding, as long as you haven't totally destroyed them.

That's what I use to do when I was in university...couldn't afford both a tracktoy and a streetbike - and I needed some way to get myself to school but couldn't stay away from the track. So I would just swap everything over for a few weekends worth of trackdays throughout the summer - it would take me maybe 30-45 minutes (+ tyre change).

Do the trackday man, you won't regret it.
    Maybe Mediocre
    BCSB - I hate you

Supporting Sponsor/Vendor Array BooBoo11's Avatar
    Bike
    1994 Kawasaki Concours
    Quote Originally Posted by grandshervee View Post

what does afaik mean?

Bike
    bike
    Quote Originally Posted by BooBoo11 View Post
    what does afaik mean?
    as-far-as-I-know
    Too sexy for this forum.

Bike
    A couple of Suzukis
    Quote Originally Posted by adam112 View Post
    as-far-as-I-know
    As far as you know, it means what?
    Maybe Mediocre
    BCSB - I hate you

Bike
    bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Harps View Post
    As far as you know, it means what?
    lol, afaik (imho) fwiw.
    Too sexy for this forum.

Bike
    ZX6R street, SV 650 Race
    Just like harps said, you can get a full set of race glass for about $500 shipped on ebay, or but some crashed street plastic.

unless you highside or the bike starts to tumble (both unlikely in a trackday, raceday maybe) you will be fine with frame sliders and spare plastic.

Damage incurred will also be far less than the skyrocketing insurance rates for a crash anyways.
    WMRC #12
    WMRC Treasurer 2006 - 2008
    WMRC President 2008 - 2010

Bike
    Honda. Still. Again.
    The "word," from your ICBC policy, section 2 of the Insurance (Motor Vehicle) Act Regulations.

Application
    2 (1) Unless otherwise provided in a special coverage form, the Act and this regulation do not apply in respect of
    (a) a vehicle licensed under section 9 of the Motor Vehicle Act while the vehicle is being operated off a highway,

<deleted "remote control," stuff>

(f) a vehicle being used in a contest, show or race, or in advanced or performance driver training, if
    (i) the activity is held or conducted on a track or other location temporarily or permanently closed to all other vehicle traffic, and
    (ii) there exists an element of race or speed test,

<this is where I've deleted stuff with respect to amphibious water craft and snow machines>

(2) In subsection (1) (f), "element of race or speed test" means driving at high speed, and includes passing maneuvers, driving in close proximity to another vehicle or assessing vehicle limitations in speed, acceleration, turning or braking.

Bike
    A couple of Suzukis
    Quote Originally Posted by Focker View Post
    Damage incurred will also be far less than the skyrocketing insurance rates for a crash anyways.
    Oh yeah, that was the other thing I was going to mention. Even if you were allowed to use your ICBC insurance, it would probably not be worth it. Pay your $300 deductible, then incur the legacy of increased rates for the next 4-5 years - which would likely end up costing you thousands.

That's why I don't get collision insurance for the street either...not worth the cost, after you figure out how cheap bikes are to fix yourself. But then again, I haven't ridden a bike worth more than $7,000 in quite a few years. If you've got a brand new $15,000 machine, it might be worth it (in case of a write-off).
    Maybe Mediocre
    BCSB - I hate you

Bike
    ZX6R street, SV 650 Race
    Harps! I you need collision or else you aren't covered under hit&run!

So if someone knocks into your bike in a parking lot you are SOL since it's a vehicle collision hit and run and not vandalism (comprehensive)

That's what my insurance lady told me at least.
    WMRC #12
    WMRC Treasurer 2006 - 2008
    WMRC President 2008 - 2010