Taxes getting out of hand.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Taxes getting out of hand.

Bike
    I wish.

Taxes getting out of hand.

I'm all for pitching in to our country and all, but this is getting out of hand with media taxes. Blank CD's are now taxed .21cents each piece to the retailer to compensate for the lost revenues of artists because of copied work, your all probably aware of this. The artists by the way, are only Canadian artists.

Here's the latest I found:

OH CANADA!, Canada to TAX MP3 Players $21CAD per GB!

Seems The Canada copyright office is listening to the IFPI, the CRIA, And The RIAA.

They have issued a proposal to put a tariff on all recordable media for 2003-2004 that can be used for audio recording. This includes MP3 Players that are hard drive based such as the Archos Players (more on that later). Canadians will have to pay an outrageous amount of tax on almost every form of recordable or removable media and non removable media. Comments and objections are due by May 8th 2002. The rules are slated to go into effect Jan 1, 2003. What is worse the tax would be distributed as they see fit, no one is specifed. Want to be the first 5 filers to receive these funds are AOL Time Warner, Vivendi/Universal, BMG, Sony, and EMI?

Some would point out that in the US we have the AHRA. But those rates are not anywhere near those listed below, and don't cover audio cassettes, compact flash, SmartMedia, or hard drive based MP3 players. The rate in the US is approx 2% on Music CDs, and about $2.00US per CD recorder.

If you are Canadian, I would suggest buying you MP3 Players this year. Because Next year they will be out of sight price wise.
    As an example: A $584 CAD (US $369) 20 gig Archos MP3 player would have $420 CDN (US $265) worth of tariffs levied upon it, making the price $1004 CDN! (US $634)
    BCSB- Administrator

Bike
    I also heard that in Alberta, they are gonna tax NHL players to play hockey games there....
    BCSB- Moderator

Bike
    i need a new bike.
    the canucks wanna do that too.

don't they already have a tax on blank cds already?

Bike
    2001 R6 Red
    Originally posted by bl1tz
    the canucks wanna do that too.

Yeah, but they're jacking the tax up every year now.

Well I guess it's legal to pirate warez & music now since you paid your taxes.

Bike
    sumfing nekkid
    alrighty then....thats messed up. What the hell is this. I don't even know how to respond to this one. They just take and take.

Bike
    I wish.
    Originally posted by bl1tz

Uhh, didn't I just say that?
    BCSB- Administrator

Bike
    Suzuki AN650K5
    This is sick !! Damn, I will start using VHS tape and a HIFI VCR to tape songs

We better breathe more now, sooner or later government will start taxing air $0.05 per cm³ that we breathe in.

Bike
    04 Kawi Z1000,
    Whoa there just a minute. They are going to DOUBLE or more the price of MP3 players? I don't think so. There's something wacky with that story. It starts off with a $23 levy and somehow ends up at $420................

And the distributors won't stand for that level of tariff in any event. Or the kids and natives will just smuggle them in from down south.

And BTW is you don't know already the money goes to Canadian musicians in order of record sales. So that means that the biggies get richer and the little people that use the internet to get their music out to the world get diddly....... What a fair and equitable system, makes you proud to be a Canadian
    A backyard mechanic without a service manual is just like a hooker without a lamp pole.... they are both in the dark.

Bike
    I wish.
    Originally posted by BMatthews
    Whoa there just a minute. They are going to DOUBLE or more the price of MP3 players? I don't think so. There's something wacky with that story. It starts off with a $23 levy and somehow ends up at $420................
    I believe it was $23 / per GB of data.

Which is rediculous. The whole thing is silly. And I think that it's fair to say that most of the music copied is not Canadian music.
    BCSB- Administrator

Bike
    '07 Aprilia RSV1000R
    i gotta agree with atomlowe i'm as dumbfounded as he is about this one, this new idea has got to be one of the dumbest taxes i've heard of in a while

dknite
    They must have a room somwhere where these overpaid polititions just think up ways to charge us canadians more for things.. especially here in BC,..

On that note I'd like to find that room and

Bike
    --------------------- supermoto: crf450
    are they just ignoring the fact that not all writable cd's are for music? I use them regularly for my DATA storage and backup, why the hell should I pay musicians to back up my own shit? grrrrrr

-arai-

Bike
    '07 Aprilia RSV1000R
    Originally posted by dknite
    They must have a room somwhere where these overpaid polititions just think up ways to charge us canadians more for things.. especially here in BC,..

On that note I'd like to find that room and
    i'd be up for a little ruckus

dknite
    i'd be up for a little ruckus
    I'm Always up for a ruckus!

Bike
    '07 Aprilia RSV1000R
    looks like we'll get along just fine