Desirability of Lower Mainland Areas
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Desirability of Lower Mainland Areas

Bike
    Looking for a 600

Desirability of Lower Mainland Areas

Hey guys;

for some context, I've been looking at places to rent over in new west (to be closer to school).

Out of curiosity here, how you guys would rate these places, in order of desirability to yourself... So...pick 5 out of the following and put them in order of where YOU would like to live.

Also mention where you live now

Abbottsford
    Chilliwack
    Cloverdale
    Langley
    Mission
    New West
    Pitt meadows
    Van
    West Van
    North Van
    East Van
    Burnaby
    Port Moody
    Coquitlam
    Poco
    Surrey
    White Rock
    Delta
    Richmond

My 5:
    1. New West (cause of school)
    2. West van (nice area)
    3. North van (Mountains )
    4. Burnaby (Nice and in-between, i like the area).
    5. Downtown van (gotta try it sometime right )

I live in White Rock right now.
    I <3 Photography

Bike
    Street:SV1000S Race:Ninja 250R, CBR600 F3, DRZ125
    North Van.
    there's other places to live?
    Some people are like Slinkies ...
    Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TwinBrosRacing <-click
    WMRC & PCMRC #19
    WMRC President

Registered User Array SpideRider's Avatar
    Bike
    What school are you attending?
    Cry in the dojo, laugh on the battlefield
    -----
    Sparring speed is a matter of simple physics:
    The height of your flight is inversely proportionate to the mass of your ass.

Bike
    None right now...
    By far, North Van, near Lonsdale. I lived on West Keith for 4 years, then on East 11th for another 4. It was really the best place i've ever lived. If I could have bought the apartment I was renting on East 11th, i'd still be there. Unfortunately it was a rental building, and there was no way I could afford real estate in North Van at the time (probably still can't, but I haven't looked recently).

Transit was trivial to most places in town I needed to get to, all the amenities were within walking distance, the mountains were right there, and 90% of the women over there are incredibly hot. So much so that I brought one back with me when I moved to Burnaby (to be fair, I met her before I moved to North Van from Burnaby in the first place...).

When I lived there I worked at Annacis Island, which was about a 30 minute drive in the morning, and about 40-45 coming home. Then I switched offices to Burnaby near BCIT, which was about 30 minutes on a bus, or 40 minutes on a bicycle. Then I moved to Burnaby near Lougheed Mall because I could afford to buy a place there. I still think it's second best, amenities are still nearby (lougheed), transit is a dawdle (skytrain 10 minutes walk away). And i'm now 10 minutes from work by car (or 30 by foot or by bicycle).
    ---
    My Picasa Album

Bike
    Looking for a 600
    awesome.... sounds like north van is an even cooler area than i thought it was.

I'm in the paramedic academy, spide
    I <3 Photography

builder of bikes Array cosworth's Avatar
    Bike
    bah
    North Van to New West everyday? You're nuts. Stay where you are or move to New West. Half the rain, half the headaches of bridge traffic if you want to travel to anyplace other than West Vancouver.

Location snobs need to get a grip. Convenience man. New West is the second most walkable city in BC next to DT. It's a great place to hang low, save some cash and walk anywhere you want.

Everyone from the outer territories who dares to venture into New West sees one or two Skytrain stations and thinks the place is a dump. Or they drive through it on Columbia in their SLK 500 and sees the same place the skytrain user does.

Move where you need to be, New West.

Bike
    Looking for a 600
    ya i'm moving to new west for sure, this thread isn't going to affect that haha i'm just curious to see what other people like.
    I <3 Photography

baka!
    bby...its in the middle of everything...

Posing with conviction Array heisenberg9's Avatar
    Bike
    anyone I can lean against
    Quote Originally Posted by cosworth View Post
    North Van to New West everyday? You're nuts. Stay where you are or move to New West. Half the rain, half the headaches of bridge traffic if you want to travel to anyplace other than West Vancouver.

Location snobs need to get a grip. Convenience man. New West is the second most walkable city in BC next to DT. It's a great place to hang low, save some cash and walk anywhere you want.
    I agree completely. Proximity and New West has lots going for it which Cosworth has aptly summarized.

Bike
    I'm just here for the intelligent conversation.
    Ummm, Cos, you're sounding like a location snob right about now... trying to convince everyone of New West.

And New West smells like ass and sounds like trains... and it's my personal hell for bikes.

Also, Poatree, DT isn't on your list, how can you pick it?

My fav places (my own list)

1. False Creek
    2. Fairview slopes
    3. Beach Ave
    4. Kitsilano (by beach)
    5. Point Grey

also, my office is at 3rd and lonsdale, nothing's ever open in that area. I could never live there. That said, look for my bike on the corner of the street parked on the sidewalk.

Bike
    A couple of Suzukis
    Well, my five would probably the following:

1. Downtown Van - If you're young and have an active social life, it's the place to be. (if you're old and decrepit like cosworth, you can stay in new west)
    2. North Van - Pretty much anywhere in the city's good, even the Norgate area is looking much better now, lower Lonsdale is starting to become sort of "trendy" - but it's still the place I would most want to raise my kids.
    3. East Van (Renfrew/Commercial Area) - I use to work in this neighbourhood, and thought it was really cool. A lot of ethnic diversity...not just chinks, or just pakies, or just wops...you could go for a walk and get a chance to use all of the racial slurs you've ever learned! Lots of cool looking older houses too.
    4. White Rock - Nice area, but wouldn't want to live there unless I were retired and didn't have to commute to anywhere outside of WhiteRock/Surrey on a daily basis.
    5. Burnaby - Pretty central, without the gross stankness of New West, and less pakies than Surrey.

I live in downtown (while I'm in my 20's), but I grew up in North Van and plan on moving back there at some point. Hey, what a shocker that I chose them as my top two! My family is all in North Van, and I so is my employer. Almost all my freinds, and my social life in general revolves around downtown - so that's why I live here.
    Maybe Mediocre
    BCSB - I hate you

es ist orange und bellt Array barking pumpkin's Avatar
    Bike
    2004 KTM 540SM
    Aldergrove!!! It's in the middle of fields and you can walk to the 7-11 in like 15 minutes. I think transit passes through? and most of the roads are paved!

Bike
    yamaha
    ok how come no one picked surrey, come on. king george and 108th rules. u got ur skytrain, sfu, mall, restaruants, peeler bars, parks, pawn shops, used car dealers, auction house, fitness centres. just cause it aint walking with rich people and nice cars doesnt mean its bad.

Bike
    I got a gun ...
    Quote Originally Posted by barking pumpkin View Post
    Aldergrove!!! It's in the middle of fields and you can walk to the 7-11 in like 15 minutes. I think transit passes through? and most of the roads are paved!
    Niiiice, sounds like Khazakstan, yeshkamesh. I hear the gays no longer have to wear blue hats!

es ist orange und bellt Array barking pumpkin's Avatar
    Bike
    2004 KTM 540SM
    Your welcome to come out ....and bring your blue hat anyways! lol