BT010, BT012, BT012SS...what's the diff?

Thread: BT010, BT012, BT012SS...what's the diff?

Bike
    A couple of Suzukis

Question BT010, BT012, BT012SS...what's the diff?

Any of you know the differences between the above mentioned tyres? I went to Bridgstone's website, but couldn't really find anything.

I've had the BT010s before and liked it, a lot. What's the difference between the BT010 and the 012? They're both street-sportbike tyres...I'm guessing the equivelent of the D208, Michelin Pliot Sport, etc. But why have two versions, what makes them different from each other?

Also, the BT012SS is an aggressive street tyre, I guess. Something you can still use on the street...but be happier with at a track-day. Like the Michelin Pilot Race, or D208RR or something like that. Am I right? I'm asking because these are CHEAP (see wholesale tyre thread) so I might pick them up instead of the Metzleler M1s (which are more than $100 more). But will they wear out REALLY fast...because I use my bike for a fair bit of commuting, in addition to the weekend twisties and occasional track-day. This is for next season, BTW.
    Maybe Mediocre
    BCSB - I hate you

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

James
    I've heard, from quite a few people that 020s are the same compound as 010s, but with a different profile. Either way they are supposed to wear forever, which I suspect is what you are concerned about. You could also look at MEZ1/MEZ2s Mine have 16k on them and besides a mild flat spot from going to Manitoba, look to be good for another 16k.

bomax
    i have bt 10 on mine ,i likem awesome price,avalability will be the issue in the future,bt12 is a street version of the bt12ss which is a race tire if i'm correct,which is softer.i will be running new bt12ss in the spring.but bt10's for 340 a set you cant beat!

Chancellor of Horsepower Array
    Bike
    BT020 has a harder compound than the BT010, which has a harder compound than the BT012. The 020 is not really a sport tire -- I would not recommend it for any sort of aggressive riding. Similarly, the 012SS is not a race tire (i.e. does not compare to supercorsa race or 208GP's), but is a very well performing street tire (I have an 012SS on my 1000 and have been quite happy with it). However, for the cash, the 010 is by far the best "bang for the buck".

KO7
    Originally posted by James
    I've heard, from quite a few people that 020s are the same compound as 010s, but with a different profile. Either way they are supposed to wear forever, which I suspect is what you are concerned about. You could also look at MEZ1/MEZ2s Mine have 16k on them and besides a mild flat spot from going to Manitoba, look to be good for another 16k.
    Holy crap, 32k on one set of tires

Bike
    A couple of Suzukis
    Yeah, I know the 020s are sport-touring tyres, I wasn't planning on getting those.

So the 012SS are softish street tyres...but I'm still not clear about the difference between the 010 and 012. Are they in sort of the same 'class' (if that's what you call it) but the 012 is slightly softer than the 010?

Like I said, I really liked my 010s, but if the price is similar to the 012s and they are a stickier tyre, then I'd rather just get those.
    Maybe Mediocre
    BCSB - I hate you

Geo
    Harps, check out their site. http://www.motorcycle-karttires.com/

The 012 and the 012SS are two different tires. I had the 012's on my 9 (OEM) and I have the 010's on my VTR and find there is little difference IMO between the two as far as grip, wear ect. I think this is the best buy at the moment.

I am buy 2 sets of the 010's at BK during todays sale.

independent Amsoil dealer Array chromedome's Avatar
    Bike
    2007 Harley Nightrain
    I run 012SS. They are the best all around tire I have had. They cost me $440.00 taxes in. they heat up quicker than the 012`s and the 010`s.I think those 2 tires are pretty much the same. Like someone else said the ss are the "race" version.I used them on the track and was quite impressed on there performance. They stuck just as good as my Pirelli dragon corsa`s.The 012ss are great in the rain. I have about 8000km on my ss and there is a small sign of a flat spot on them. You should ask Steve also. He says that they are way stickier than his 208`s. He found he slid a bit with the 208`s and no slip with the 012ss. Some people that I know that used to run the above mentioned tires in the previous posts are all switching to the 012ss.

builder of bikes Array cosworth's Avatar
    Bike
    bah
    Originally posted by bomax
    i have bt 10 on mine ,i likem awesome price,avalability will be the issue in the future,bt12 is a street version of the bt12ss which is a race tire if i'm correct,which is softer.i will be running new bt12ss in the spring.but bt10's for 340 a set you cant beat!
    I must concur but with one caveat. I don't like the warm up of the 010's. They stay cold too long comapred to my old 207's. Maybe it's just the bike. But 12's are next for me. Burnouts galore until spring.

James
    Originally posted by HPMan
    BT020 has a harder compound than the BT010, which has a harder compound than the BT012.
    I was under the impression that 020 and 010s were dual compound tires, and only the middle compound was harder so it would wear harder on the highway, the sides were the same.

Bike
    A couple of Suzukis
    Yeah VTR_Rider, I did check out their website before I posted this question...because I couldn't find any real differences between the 010 and 012 on the site. I'm aware that the 012SS is a 'race' tyre...but I was afraid they would take too long to warm up on the street compared to the regular 012. I wish I had read chromedome's post before I leaft home this morning! I ended up buying a set of Metzeler M1s instead. They were a fair premium over the 010/012/SS but I have just heard so many good things about the M1s that I thought I should give them a try. We'll just have to see how they compare to my old 010s and current 207s....but I'm expecting good things.
    Maybe Mediocre
    BCSB - I hate you