2002 Honda CBR 600 F4i Leaking Fuel Regulator...common??
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2002 Honda CBR 600 F4i Leaking Fuel Regulator...common??

Super Addict *T90* is on a distinguished road
    Bike
    Got One!

2002 Honda CBR 600 F4i Leaking Fuel Regulator...common??

Hey guys and gals, a question for all of you me chanically savvy individuals out there. I have had the bike for over a month now, just in the last few days in the morning I have noticed a small amount of fuel dripping onto the garage floor when the bike is cold. As the day goes on and everything warms up there is little to no fuel leak so it really hasnt bothered me all that much..... until tonight.

I decided to see what the heck was going on, pull the bike apart to frame and tank and take a peek at whats going on. I traced the leak to the regulator (small anodized canister that is attached to the fuel rail), I watch it drip and shut the bike off and get to work. After many improvised tools to get at the lower bolt I finally have it nailed and get the FPR out. I notice a small nick on the o-ring, so lucky me I happen to have a replacement o ring, replace it and put everything together again and it still leaks, no change, a drip a second.

As I watch this happen I notice that the leaks are coming from the crimped edge of the regulator, so I remove the regulator once again and grab my pliers and squeeze the crimp down tight, reinstall and start it up, the leak has slowed considerably 1 drip every 2 seconds now but still not stopped, however I kno I am on the right track. Remove it once again and this time use a pair of vise grips set to crimp at the same pressure all the way around this time, as well I used some fuel safe anaerobic sealer to run around the edge of the crimp . I have reinstalled it and put the bike together again, I have not started it yet as I am waiting for the sealer to dry. This i just a temporary fix just to get me through a bike ride tomorrow and then I will be looking to order a new one n Monday.

However my questions are, is this a common problem? has anyone else run into this issue? As well are replacement FPR hard to come by or expensive? Again this is on a 2002 CBR F4i.

I could do a write up on the removal and installation process if there is any interest as I now have it down to about 3 minutes to remove it and 3 mins. to reinstall.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Registered User Johnny_B is on a distinguished road
    Bike
    SP 125..02 f4i
    ive got the same bike and no problems whatsoever yet to speak of

Dr Tung CBR JOCKEY is on a distinguished road CBR JOCKEY's Avatar
    Bike
    2011 CBR 1000rr ABS
    On my 2002 cbr 600 it leaked at 5400km just out of warranty.... I paid for labour and Honda paid for the new part... I think it was about $125.00

Bike
    Got One!
    Hmmmmmm... I wonder just how common this problem is then with the Hondas. My bike only has a tad over 10,000 km on it so i it posible that this was an issue with 2002 models only.

Bike
    Got One!
    Well the temp fix seems to be holding out for now, as long as I can get 130 km out of the tank I will be happy.

Registered User J1k is on a distinguished road J1k's Avatar
    Bike
    crf250r
    i havent seen any issues with the f4i's fpr as of yet.

john

ssblade
    seen it on a 954.

Moderator TeeTee is on a distinguished road TeeTee's Avatar
    Bike
    04 Kawi Z1000,
    So just two instances so far? And between Jik and SS that's a lot of hondas that roll through the shop so it doesn't sound like it's an epidemic by any means. Not like the CCT's and old style regulators at least.

T90, we may have to start calling you "Lucky"...
    A backyard mechanic without a service manual is just like a hooker without a lamp pole.... they are both in the dark.

Bike
    Got One!
    HAHAHAH thanks, I am also gonna have to change my CCT soon I think, the rattling is getting to me, funny thing is it happens sometimes loud and sometimes quiet and sometimes not at all.

Registered Abuser kuldip is on a distinguished road kuldip's Avatar
    Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by *T90* View Post
    Hmmmmmm... I wonder just how common this problem is then with the Hondas. My bike only has a tad over 10,000 km on it so i it posible that this was an issue with 2002 models only.
    35,000km on my 02 F4i and no issues like that.

Registered User yellojacket is on a distinguished road yellojacket's Avatar
    Bike
    '03 Honda CBR F4i

Leaking fuel regulator

So did the crimp/glue work for you?

I was just about to put my '03 F4i back on the road when I discovered the exact same issue. I have ordered a replacement at $125... cough. Is it possible that there was/is built up debris from dirty fuel in there? I also plan to replace the filter which is directly after the pump. What was your experience?

Cheers
    Silly ricer, wings are for planes!

Back in the saddle, baby bc-lefty is on a distinguished road bc-lefty's Avatar
    Bike
    2013 Triumph Tiger 800XC
    I had a leaking press regulator, same part, on my CBR929. Fixed it temporarily with JB-Weld, but in the end it had to be replaced.

It's dangerous to let it go too long, as it will drip fuel on the hot engine, and having one's legs burst into flame would suck!

If the crimp is gone, it's also very possible that the inside membrane is also toast, which will cause all kinds of issues with fuel delivery and engine trouble.
    Where do I find the intake snackle??

2004 Honda VFR800 "Pearl"
    1999 Kawasaki KLR650

+ Reply to Thread