Question needing advice
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Question needing advice

Registered User Array baby_angel18's Avatar
    Bike
    2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Question needing advice

Hi everyone,

Wow, I haven't been on this site for a long time!

Just wondering if anyone is encountering the same problem as I am in these colder months.

Situation: Every morning I put the choke on and warm up my bike, but as I lessen the choke, the engine gets weak and eventually dies. Don't get me wrong, I'm warming my bike up for a minimum of 3 minutes.

I normally park in a underground parking lot at work (which is pretty warm) and I seem to be having the same problem.

Any suggestions or advice?

Thanks!

Yvonne

p.s. still riding my 2001 Ninja 250

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

URANUS
    hi, if after 10-15 minites it runs and idles fine then you just need to warm it up longer..it could be helped a bit by adjusting the air screws on the carbs....get a mechanic to help....now with the weather being colder the air is denser and the choke is needed longer to make up for the air/fuel mixture....i see your located in Coq. .....Steve at Maple Ridge Kawi could help you..

One Lump Sum Array
    Bike
    1997 GSX-R 600
    Is it carb'd? You may need to richen the idle mixture just a tad to make up for the colder, denser air.
    1997 GSX-R 600 (high k's and missing bolts here and there)

Bike
    V-Strom DL1000
    If that symptom has not happened before in otherwise similar conditions (like last Fall, same parkade, similar temps, etc.) then maybe a general service is in order. Bikes do change over time. Perhaps your air filter is starting to get blocked, valve gap may need adjusting, the list goes on as any bikes ages. But of course, if it's only a minor nuisance, then you have to balance the cost of a service against that. If, however, your bike's character is changing, then it's likely to continue to change until it becomes more of a nuisance, IMHO.

Jackie Chan's stuntdouble Array Motorcycle Man's Avatar
    Bike
    CBR600 F4
    Quote Originally Posted by baby_angel18 View Post
    Any suggestions or advice?
    Get a Honda.

My Twitter: SH1FTG34R Array Sykk_KiLL's Avatar
    Bike
    2008 Yamaha R6
    Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycle Man View Post
    Get a Honda.
    Kawi = Junk

Bike
    Honda. Still. Again.
    If this is new, perhaps a "look see," by a quality technician is in order.
    If this is your first fall season with the bike, perhaps a change in warm up may help.
    Idle the bike on choke for a minute, then ride off. After 3 or 4 minutes of "riding," the bike warms up much more quickly than sitting and idling, or sitting and idling and blipping the throttle.
    The next intersection down the road may be the time to turn off the choke.

Most owners manuals (yours may be different) recommend only a moment or two idling, then riding away at lower/moderate engine speeds.
    After you've ridden a few minutes, the engine is "fully," warm, and the choke comes off.
    Of course, the other end of that spectrum is riding too long with the choke on, which may foul the plugs, and for a certainty, will ruin your fuel consumption rates.
    Keep riding!

Mysteroius Array
    Bike
    my bike doesn't have a choke.... but there's this thing at the left side.... where i can adjust the idle speed/power.... if you have that on your bike as well.... u can adjust it to a higher rpm due to the conditions?

Registered User Array
    Bike
    RIP
    a 250 takes a while to warm up. Since it is such a small engine. Same thing happened to my friend's 250 kawi. Just leave it warming up a little longer.

Registered User Array smokinjoe's Avatar
    Bike
    750k6
    Quote Originally Posted by sushix2 View Post
    a 250 takes a while to warm up. Since it is such a small engine. Same thing happened to my friend's 250 kawi. Just leave it warming up a little longer.
    +1 With the weather getting colder and with carbs, gota let it warm up longer.

Bike
    RSV4
    my $.02 buy fuel injected

Registered User Array baby_angel18's Avatar
    Bike
    2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250
    Thanks for all the feedback!! =)

contradiction incarnate Array slam's Avatar
    Bike
    TBA
    also the other way around too...
    make sure you're not on full choke for an excessive amount of time before stepping it down a little at a time.

I've found that too long at full choke will kill the engine when bringing the choke down unless I turn the throttle a bit while bringing down the choke lever.
    nobody gets out alive

. Array
    Bike
    bike
    Is it carb'd? You may need to richen the idle mixture just a tad to make up for the colder, denser air.
    haha well he was talking about his choke wasnt he, that just about answers your Q id say

Eh Muh Gawd Becky!! Array Purplekawi's Avatar
    Bike
    somethin somethin somethin
    general rule of thumb is start up the bike on choke. turn choke down some. when bike will take throttle, drive it. it'll warm up waaaaay faster riding then idling and won't foul plugs either. carbon build up is most prevalent at choke idle or idle itself.
    That that doesn't kill us forces us to live with a busted up bike!!